Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 25th, 2003, 11:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Porters at the pier

I have read that the standard amount to tip the non-carnival employee porters at the pier is about $1 per bag. My question is are they necessary? Can you just take your bags from the transfer bus and give them to the ships personnel directly and leave the porter's out of the equation. I am not so concerned about the tip, it's the fact that if these guys damage/steal from your bags then Carnival says they claim no responsibility. If it makes a difference this will be at the Long Beach, CA pier.

Elation-Mexican Riviera 9/2003
Liberty-Eastern Caribbean 3/2006
Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2003, 10:07 AM
jamie gunter

Default Re: Porters at the pier

You have to let them handle your bags, they wont let you carry it all on. I would tip them, you want your bag to make it to your room. We have never had any problems with anyone stealing our bag. You point out your bags to them and they put it on the luggage container to go to the ship and then give them a tip. Pack any valuables in your carry on bag and you will be fine. Also bathing suits and that kind of things because you may not get your bags to your room till 8 oclock.
Old September 1st, 2003, 08:32 AM
Yeoman

You would stand a good chance of your bags not arriving if you only tip $1.00 per bag.
Old September 1st, 2003, 11:31 AM
Jeanne&Ellis

We have only tipped $1.00 a bag unless there was one that was very heavy. Never had a problem of bags not showing up. In fact we usually get our bags before the ship leaves the dock. (hope I just didn't jinx us!)

Old September 1st, 2003, 03:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

"You would stand a good chance of your bags not arriving if you only tip $1.00 per bag."

Carol, why is that? On my cruise documents it suggests .50 per bag and I have read here that most people are tipping 1.00 per bag and now you are saying it should be more? Why? If they would allow me to I would walk them over to the bins that are loaded on the ship and put them into the bins myself.

Old September 2nd, 2003, 05:26 PM
Yeoman

I am retired from a major carrier, and believe me I have seen many bags misrouted because some people failed to tip or poorly tipped the sky cap. I never give the porter less than $5.00 even if I only have 2 bags.
Old September 4th, 2003, 05:01 PM
Allan

Default Re: Re: Porters at the pier

I think this ends up being more like extortion than a tip!!
Old September 4th, 2003, 10:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

My point exactly!! I have never used porters at the airport when I have bags to check, I just take them up to the counter. I never understood why any able bodied person would employ a porter rather than schlepping their own bags up to the counter, now they say it is required to get on the ship. Carnival's website suggests .50 per bag and the general consensus seems to be about 1.00 per bag and now Carol suggests 2.50 per bag. With no accountability for my belongings and the care of them, why am I tipping these people again?

Old September 9th, 2003, 11:46 AM
p.g.

We tip 1:00 a bag,that is more than enough for what they do, when some poeple tip more it just sets up the rest of us to look cheap! Think about this , why would I tip someone $5:00 for 2 minutes( less actually) work. Do you tip you waiter like that!? I don't like being "bullied " and that's how I would feel if I had to "pay" someone to do something I could do myself!!!!!!I try to go with the flow and not cause waves,but, in this case we know that we are under a threat of violence( to our luggage ) if we don't "pay up". I think someone pointed out that is extortion!
Old September 10th, 2003, 10:27 AM
Admiral

We always tip the porters and the skycaps $1 per bag and have not had any problems. I truly don't mind tipping someone a couple of buck to schleep my heavy bags for me!
Old November 23rd, 2003, 12:10 PM
Admiral

I'm with you LisaK! Maybe it's from all my years of camping and having to carry my own HEAVY stuff, but I'm looking *forward* to handing out a tip to the porter and watching my bags leave my hands!!

dorothy
fantasy
1-4-04

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old November 24th, 2003, 08:28 AM
Admiral

I once tipped $1 per bag and got screwed. Now I tip more!

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 24th, 2003, 02:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

We normally tip about 5 bucks for 4 bags, they are so full of crap at the pier, they use the line that "they will ensure that the bags get to your room, garbage, they just put it in a container" Extortion you bet it is, they are doing their job and get a few extra bucks, personally I would just as soon carry the bags on (as we have done) but opt to give them a few bucks and IMHO anymore than say 1.00 or 1.50 per bag is overkill

Just my 37cents.

Regards

Pete
Old November 25th, 2003, 10:54 AM
christine fischer

A TA who cruises but travels light (one wheeled suitcase and a small carry on) once told me that she just walks quickly past the porters with her bag in tow and brings her stuff onboard herself. I don't travel light so I've never been able to pull this off.

We did a Celebrity Cruise out of San Juan last year and once our luggage was loaded on the airport shuttle, they put it right on the ship for us (no porters!). We're doing another Celebrity cruise in March out of Ft Lauderdale and would love skipping the porter step if possible. Does anyone know if Celebrity does in all ports?