Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2003, 01:23 AM
Cheryl Zahn

Default Tipping in Alternative restrant

Hi,
My husband and I are going on our 1st cruise, & I plan to tip the staff as recommended on other lines. (We are going on a HAL Cruise.) What I am not sure about is tipping in the Pinnicle Grill where I have set up for us to have dinner the first night. What do you feel would be a fair amount to be left for the wait staff in this area?
We will probably only see them on this first night and I don't want to skip them for their service, so would I leave a tip on the table at the end of our meal? Also do they have the same set up I have been reading about, a waiter & assistant? Who else should I tip when there? I really want to have this all budgeted in before we leave in Dec. and don't want to be improper. Thanks Cheryl
Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2003, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Tipping in Alternative restrant

On HAL you do not tip as suggested on other cruiselines. Their no tipping policy is universal on all their ships. If you feel extra service has been provided and wish to award the personnel with some tip then you are free to do that but the company does not publish "suggested" amounts.

If you wish to tip the waiter for his service in the Pinnacle Grill you should consider how many people are in your party. Personally, I would consider $3-$5 per person myself.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 8th, 2003, 03:18 PM
Cheryl Zahn

Default Re: Tipping in Alternative restrant

Thanks Thomas for the advice. I understand the no tipping is required but I have also read the staff really work for this and I don't mind. It sounds like it is an accepted practice, (And I think of my daughter who tries to support herself & my granddaughter working at a job where tipping is supposed to make-up for part of her wage.) I just want to make sure I don't short some one that I should tip, so It is easier if I budget for this now.