Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 12th, 2003, 02:06 PM
Maria65

Default Tipping with Children

We are a family with 4 children. I have no problem with tipping what is expected, but I'm curious to know if most people tip the expected per person amounts for their children as well. That would mean $420 in tips for our family for the waiters and room steward. Is it customary to tip that much?
Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2003, 03:24 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Tipping with Children

Unfortunately , yes. I know it's a lot to "tip" but the fact is kids are just as much work if (if not more!) than adults. They still have to have their cabins cleaned ( and they are probaly messier than you ) and their towels changed(and picked up off the floor) and in the dining room they often have special needs, a high chair ,extra juice, meals brought promptly( if your kids are young) . So although I sympathize( I have taken my two when they were very young) that it;\'s alot of money , it's one place you shouldn't economize.At least they won't have a bar bill or gamble!! Save some money by doing your own shore excursions! Good luck and have fun! Oh yes, I forgot, if your kids are young and in the kids programs most peole tip the caregivers also, so that's extra, and may-be someone else could advise on that since my kids were too young for the programs.
Old October 15th, 2003, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Maria,
I too have always tipped the regular amounts when we cruised with our kids, just like PG stated, the kids are just as much or more work for the staff, so the tips are deserved. They really go out of their way to make the cruise special for kids, especially in the dining room, they will make sure they get something they like and go out of their way. I figure the tips are part of the entire cruise package and plan accordingly, have fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 20th, 2003, 01:05 PM
midimarv

We travel with our daughter and tip the full amount for her as well as tipping the Camp Carnival Counselors. It's just part of cruising, and the staff has always given us excellent service, so I'm happy to give them a generous tip.
Old November 20th, 2003, 02:07 PM
Admiral

the only exception might be if you didn't dine in the main dining room with your children every night. If you only went to the main dining room say twice the entire cruise, i would then definatley adjust the amount i would tip.
Old November 25th, 2003, 11:59 AM
christine fischer

We've always tipped the full amount for our kids regardless of whether they (or we) eat in the dining room or not. In fact, with the exception of the first night, our kids never eat dinner in the dining room (we ship them off to the sitter or kids program after feeding them at the buffet so that we can have a few hours as adults). I've always figured that the wait staff counts on having a certain amount of tips based on the number of seats they have assigned to them and should make whatever minimum they're counting on.

I did notice that Celebrity's brochure says children should tip half the normal rate. We didn't do this because our kids probably make more work for them than adults (splashing in the bathroom, diapers to remove from the room, room service trays for dinner, etc).

It is a lot of money. Good luck!
Old December 20th, 2003, 12:23 PM
lees123

You have to be kidding!

The income from a cabin is usually 2 adults (most don't bring kids). So when we bring our two kids 3 years and 6 years it adds only sligtly to the work load ? (we eat on the buffet) and the room labor is minimal (we have to keep it up as we go to make life happen). So we tip for the adults full amount plus extra if they do well but we add slightly more for the kids.

so thats that with that
Old December 20th, 2003, 07:59 PM
Admiral

Lees123,

I'm confused. You said:

"So we tip for the adults full amount plus extra if they do well but we add slightly more for the kids. "

Do you mean that you tip only for yourselves but not your kids and add "slighty more" to the adult tips to pay for the kids, or you tip for all of you and add "slighty more" to the tips for your kids?

I'm traveling with a 13 yo, and wouldn't think of not tipping the recommended amount for both of us. I think that some lines do have a lower rate for children. Perhaps using *that* suggested amount would work for those that don't want to tip for the whole fare, but not tipping AT ALL for the kids? Yikes!

When we decided to cruise, I read the brochure, noticed the recommended tipping amount and factored that in to the cost of my cruise. If I couldn't afford to pay it, I would have chosen a less expensive vacation.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old December 23rd, 2003, 09:39 PM
cruiser lover

We travel with our three kids and tip the usual amount for each. We don't see any distinction between adults and kids when it comes to service and the amount of work the waiters and cabin attendants go through. The cabin attendants who have triple and quad rooms work all the harder and should expect to be tipped for all occupants regardless of age.
Old January 6th, 2004, 12:03 AM
Robertj668

Default Re: Re: Tipping with Children

Happy new year to all.

Ok what if the child is under a year? Ok there are diapers and there are extra trips for towels and such in the room, Then in the dinning room having the high chair ready or making sure bottles are warmed (though we would warm them in advance ourselves) We will tip at least 1/2 the adult rate. From what I have read, that is what the cruise lines reccomend. I guess I will see how they treat the little one. Were the helpful and courtious when the little one? If yes then more tip for them! They can be a bundle
I am still getting over the cost from some cruise lines of the charge.

Robert & Lisa and Little Robert Jr.
Old January 12th, 2004, 10:57 PM
christine fischer

Our daughter was 10 months old on her first cruise. I'd say she really didn't require much extra attention in the room. However, the dining room was a different story. They had the high chair there every night. She had just enough teeth to be able to sample food and was particularly fond of cucumber slices. The waiter figured this out the first night and would bring her a silver covered plate of artfully arranged slices each night. He was also very patient brining her soups and bringing extra bread to make up for the five other pieces she had tossed on the floor. He filled her sippy cup at each meal. The list goes on. And it wasn't me who cleaned the floor off when we were done.... My recollection is that we gave the waitstaff the full recommended tip for her and then some. A three or four month old might be different, but once they sit up and can chew, they make a heck of a lot of work.
Old January 13th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Yeoman

I revise my first post, if a child is say, under six months old, so therefore not eating at all and maybe just sitting in their carry around type seat , THEN, I say you don't have to tip the dining room staff .( still have to tip the cabin steward since they need clean towels etc.) .BUT!!! As soon they are in a high chair , they are making messes, so start tipping!
Old May 14th, 2004, 12:03 AM
robertj668

We just returned from the RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas last week, with out 10 month old. I initially was going to tip the reccomended as per the cruise line 1/2 the adult ammount. Needless to say we tipped the full amount plus more. They treated my son like royalty. I cannot say enough for all of the people on board. Cabin attendant dinning room staff and all of them. Wow!! We alway felt welcome with him. I once tried to pick up the Cherios off the floor and they stopped me and said that they would do it. They took the stroller and placed it out of the way and brought it back when we were finished. I could go on forever. I

f this is the service they will give him. Then we will always tip full and more for him!!

Robert Lisa and Little Robert
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

We have always tipped the recommended amount for our children and have usually tipped extra. We travel with 3 or 4 children depending on school vacations. They staff have always gone above and beyond our expectations. We figure into the cost of the cruise.
Old June 26th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

I would suggest basing your children's tips on the services they actually received. If they eat in the dining room every night, then by all means tip the full amount for them as they require as much work (if not more) than an adult. However, if they eat with the kid's program or at the buffet, you might want to adjust the tips downward to reflect this lower level of service. It is also customary to tip the kid's program staff if your children participate in the children's activities.

As for the cabin steward, I would tip the full amount only if they were in their own cabin or caused an unusual amount of mess in yours. If they are staying in your cabin, then the only extra work on the part of the cabin steward is making two additional beds and leaving a few extra towels. I wouldn't tip the full amount for this, but maybe 1/2 instead.
Old June 28th, 2004, 01:06 AM
First Mate

I am planning on tipping the cabin steward half a tip each for my 2 children, equaling full tips for my room (2 adults and 2 children). If the steward does special things for my children though, I plan on tipping extra. As far as the wait staff I agree with the previous poster, that I will tip extra for any nights my kids are in the dining room, and just for my wife and I on nights that they aren't. I do plan on tipping the kids counselors pretty well for taking care of my little demons (I mean angels :-)). Does that sound reasonable? On my previous 2 cruises I always tipped more than the reccomended amount, because I had great service, so i am not trying to be cheap.

Carnival Mardi Gras - July 1991
RCCL Viking Serenade - November 1994
Carnival Pride - September 2004
Old July 12th, 2004, 10:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

assuming service for kids isn't exceptional or horrible, what is the usual amount for the counsellors, and do they pool their tips??

thanks,
banker
Old July 15th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Passenger

if the children are eating with the counsellors 3, 4 or 5 nights why tip the dining staff a full tip. it makes no sense. I believe a 50% of the recommended is appropriate. I will say that I also tip the cousellors and babysitters cause without them the trip just would not have been the same.
Old July 16th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Yeoman

Sounds reasonable to me. The dining room staff are getting something, which is right since they reserved a place for the child, but they're not getting a full tip, given that the child didn't show.
Old July 16th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Yeoman

i have never cruised with a child but there should be some tip given to the staff for the fact that there is a 3rd or 4th living breathing body in the room ----imo whatever amount you give for the child(ren) would be greatly appreciated by the staff considering how many adults stiff them