Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 12th, 2003, 10:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Awkward moment at final dinner

Isn't it an awkward moment when you leave the table on your last night, and don't physically leave a tip envelope? How do your waiters and the staff know for sure your pledging automated tips and not just stiffing them? How do you handle just thanking them and walking away? I think it almost embarrassing. I have not cruised before, so traditional tipping verses electronic tipping is an uncomfortable issue. Without leaving the tips, how do you address this situation when saying goodbye to the staff? Imput please!!!
Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2003, 06:46 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Awkward moment at final dinner

IF YOU ARE SAILING ON HOLLAND AMERICA THER ARE NO
automatic tipping. Usually on the last nite, take two envolopesand put
in the money that you want to give.Never feel embrass about tipping.
Usually its the waiter and the bus boy
Old October 15th, 2003, 07:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Mel,
I was told the staff knows who is doing the automatic tipping, so just say the normal good-by's and thanks for the great service, they would know you've tipped them the "other" way. So far I've only been on one cruise where they used the auto tipping and I wasn't sure I would like it, but I actually liked the idea of not having to bring along the extra cash for tips, it was quite easy and would do it again.

If you're not sure, let your wait staff know you are doing the auto tipping, just for piece of mind.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 15th, 2003, 11:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Awkward moment at final dinner

That's reassuring. I was not aware that the crew would have this information in advance. (auto tipping) I figured with everyone changing their preference or the amount of their individual tips via the Purser's office, the crew would have no way of knowing my particular choice or contribution.
Old October 16th, 2003, 02:22 PM
Admiral

How does the staff know if you are doing the automatic tipping? Does it show up on your sign & sail card everytime you use it? If you don't order drinks, wine or soda at dinner how would the waitstaff know?
Old October 16th, 2003, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Don't know how, but they obviously know. On Golden Princess I went to hand our waitress a little something extra the last night, and she told me it was necessary as her tips had been added to my account.

I explained I understood that, but this was extra/over and above as her service had been.
Old October 16th, 2003, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Lisa,
I think the wait staff gets a list of the people at their tables and it tells them who is doing the automatic tipping. Your drinks, wine or soda at dinner wouldn't matter, they have the 15% tip added to that anyway, so its nothing on your sign/sail card, just a list they get.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 17th, 2003, 06:34 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to angelina

On Princess-- it is automatically added to your bill daily , regardless of where/when you eat. Your sign and sail card account shows the $6.50 per person per dining and the $3.50 per person for the room steward. Its far more convenient that way than having to fumble for money at the last day when everyone is broke. They won't know for privacy reasons as to WHO specifically stiffed them . They will just notice a change in their paycheck. For me there was no awkward moment .... I returned for breakfast on the last day and handed out my envelopes for those that went above and beyond the call of duty. The service was exceptional . The tips were handed out directly and therefore those select individuals who received something extra did not have to share as per princess rules .

The cruise was wonderful === there wasn't anything anyone wouldn't do for me AND I consider it exceptional when a waiter who serves at least five hundred other people remembers that I like water with lime ( not lemon) . It merits my attention . I eat in four-five star restaurants at a minimum of four times per week for lunch and dinner. I received better service on the cruise . They never kept me waiting , prepared my meal the way I asked , never hesitated , and said yes with a smile .

This type of service should be rewarded. ( and positively reinforced).

To answer everyone's other question ( the burning question) . The burning question == princess contracts are a monthly stipend of $32 per month. The cabin stewards( busboys, waiters etc) get paid $32 per month. Princess does this for the tip factor and also because it is the maximum they can pay without having to pay their employees any benefits or taxes . The rest is made up in tips.

The almighty american dollar does mean a lot to them who are struggling to send money home for wives and kids and mothers etc. True , they have no living expenses but I know its no fun doing my own laundry,,, so I can imagine how much fun it can be doing someone else's.

Just got back ,,, can't wait to cruise again ...,,,

Thanks
Angelina
Old October 26th, 2003, 05:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Angelina;.... I have been told that all tips are shared, including those given the final day and in separate private envelopes. It is a team effort and all those who are part of the team, share. If an employee receives a personal tip and does not share it, his ability to remain on the staff could become jeopradized. It is strictly by chance and good fortune, that generous individuals are encountered by staff. Someone else could leave no tip for the identical service . If you are not pulling you weight, it will show up on the evaluation comments and you will not be reassigned to the next cruise. Only an excellent rating is considered as acceptable, everytime; by the cruiseline on an evaluation form.
Old October 28th, 2003, 04:24 PM
First Mate

If you do automatic tipping, don't they give you a voucher/receipt to give the staff?