Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 16th, 2003, 11:08 AM
David G. W.

Default Carnival Auto Tipping Question

First, I have no problem with the auto tip. I'm going on my 1st Carnival cruise, and 1st cruise with auto tipping, in December and I'm wondering who is included in this. Just the waiter, asst. waiter and room steward? Or is the maitre D' and head housekeeper and all the others under "suggested tipping" also included?

Thanks for your time and help.

David
Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2003, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Carnival Auto Tipping Question

Just the waiter, assistant, and room steward. We were asked if we wanted to include a tip to the Maitre 'D. Your bar drinks will have an additional 15% added automatically when you purchase one.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 24th, 2003, 02:28 PM
Barnard

The lowest paid employee on board a cruise is probely the Dishwasher: What I understand is they are started out at $500.00 - $600.00 (us month)

Dishwasher: $500.00 - $600.00 (us month)
Bar Boy/ Utility: $600.00 - $800.00 (us month)
Asst. Cabin Steward: (entry level) $1200.00 - $1500.00 (us month)
Cabin Steward: $1800.00 - $2200.00 (us
month)
This seems low income until you remember: Crew members almost do not have any expenses while onboard a vessel. Living arrangements vary by cruise line, but mostly by shipboard position. Senior officers enjoy single cabins, in general two employees share a cabin with a shower, WC and a TV set. The best accommodations are reserved for passengers, of coarse.

There is a full health coverage onboard the ship, U.S. citizens are covered ashore, as well (in the USA only). Cruise lines do not provide dental coverage except in cases of extreme emergencies. They could provide assistance in finding a dentist ashore, but in most cases the crew member is responsible for the cost of treatment.

The cruise line is responsible for the return air transportation between the nearest international airport to their home and the port of embarkation, wherever in the world that port will be.

Uniforms required, provided by the cruise line with a very few exceptions (Guest Entertainers, Guest Musicians). There is a dress code for every evening onboard a cruise ship i.e. formal night, semi-formal night or casual night. Crew members, working in passenger areas of the vessel are expected to follow the dress code.

Crew members are free to visit the ports of call when they are not on duty. Leisure time varies between shipboard positions (Guest Entertainers could perform once or a few times a week, other positions require six to eight hours work a day), after all applicants get paid by cruise lines to work on the ship.

Every modern cruise vessel is equipped with a crew fitness center, a crew recreation room (simply crew bar) and a crew deck with a swimming pool and jacuzzi. In general cruise lines are taking a very good care of the well being of the crew members, since it could affect the quality of work and passenger service.

Crew members enjoy duty free prices onboard a cruise ships, they also get up to 25% discount on goods purchased in the onboard boutique shops.

U.S. citizens get taxes deducted directly from their pay checks, any other nationality crew members have their own responsibility to declare the income earned on a cruise ship.

Cruise lines do not provide paid vacation or pension plans.

Still not to bad a job to have !
Old October 31st, 2003, 08:01 AM
Yeoman

You left out the chinese men who work in the laundry. I was gambling with these workers at the Atlantis, and they were betting $500.00 a hand at the blackjack table. Even saw them double down and play a grand. Makes me wonder how much their salary is!

Carol