Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 25th, 2003, 09:13 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to carla823
Default Clueless on Tips

I'm going on my first cruise. My friend is paying for almost everything. He said that if I would like to put in for the tips at the end...that would be good. I'm more then a little concerned though. From what I've read...it looks like it's going to cost around $500 in tips alone for a 5 night cruise (RCCL). Is this really true???? I'm a single mom with not a very high paying job...

Input welcome!! Thanks!

Enchantment of the Seas - Royal Caribbean
Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2003, 10:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Clueless on Tips

Tips for service staff are suggested at around $10/day/per passenger. A 5 day cruise.. two people would therefore be $100 for the entire cruise, or $50 each.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 31st, 2003, 04:19 PM
Jessie

Royal Caribbean International encourages the guests to recognize excellence and, for your ease in preparing for the cruise, the following amounts are suggestions only:

Waiter - $3.50 per person per day
Assistant Waiter - $2.00 per person per day
Stateroom Attendant - $3.50 per person per day
Head Waiter/Maitre d'- $.75 per person per day
Other service personnel are at your discretion

Gratuities may be paid by the following ways:
Pre paid by having them added to your reservation by your booking agent
Added to your onboard SeaPass account
Paid in cash at the end of the cruise
Envelopes will be provided in the stateroom on the last night of the cruise for the gratuities.

Note: A 15% gratuity will automatically be added to your bar bill and or wine check when you are served.
Old November 17th, 2003, 10:13 AM
DebC

If I add up those "suggested" tips for our family of 6, it comes to over $400 in tips for a 7 night cruise.

Doing the backward math, this is equivalent to all 7 of us (kids included) EACH eating $70 in food per day and tipping 15%. Assuming that at times we will be using room service (which I will tip for on the spot) and often the buffets, plus the kids will mostly eat pizza and hamburgers, this is way out of line.

As far as tipping cabin stewards, to me this is akin to tipping housekeeping in a hotel. I tip them IF I get some sort of exceptional service. Did I ask for and receive extra towels, ice at turndown, did they do something out of the ordinary to make my stay more comfortable? If all they did is change the sheets occasionally (which hotels now do only every 3 or 4 days, not every day as they did many years ago, a pet peeve of mine), restock towels and maybe a quick vacuum job, sorry - that's just doing your basic job, not exceptional service. Many may disagree with me, but I don't think basic housekeeping should be considered a tipped service.

Now I hear that cabin stewards often do an awesome job and many well deserve their tips. But I certainly intend to wait and see what kind of service I receive before letting the cruise line automatically charge my account for it.
Old November 18th, 2003, 01:48 AM
Yeoman

DebC you have some valid points, unfortunately you may be roasted alive for stating them(lol). it does seem to be an accepted reality that we the customer should pay the "house keeping staff" ( cabin steward) for just doing their job.
Many on this board also think that you should tip the maitlre'd just for coming by the table each night and saying" hello, how was your dinner". Personally I have no problem with tipping our waitstaff, the service is usaully very good and they do have to run around quite alot.
The facts are that we are not really "tipping" the staff we are PAYING them, the cruiselines don't pay them decent wages, our tips support them.
I do totally sympathize with you in regards to how much it is for kids etc, considering manyof them just eat pizza or buffet, normally not big tipping items.We can't afford to take our kids cruising, we'd need a "family cabin" or 2 cabins, that plus the extra tips would kill us.
So it's just us , once every 4 or 5 years, cruising is good value for money, but I don't consider it a" cheap "vacation.
Old November 18th, 2003, 01:24 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Clueless on Tips

On the other hand Deb you can look at it this way.

If you were to eat breakfast at the country club and be waited on your bill would be at least $10 per person. This 15% tip then is $1.50

Then you eat lunch at the country club and your bill is about $15 per person. The tip is $2.25

Then you eat a multi-course steak dinner with appetizers, soup, desserts and as much as you want at Ruth's Cris Steakhouse and your bill is at least $40. Tip then is $6.

Add that up and your tips were $9.75 but the waitstaff on the ship is only getting $5.50.

The cabin steward is not a house cleaner as in a hotel. Your cabin steward is your cabin attendant. Yes, they do change sheets and clean the bathroom, but he will attend to your other needs as well. He'll keep your ice bucket full, restock your refrigerator, put away items left out, have coffee delivered to your room, remember your birthday, etc. They will take care of special requests and do it when they are off the clock. I had one who delivered chocolate chip cookies and milk to my room every evening at 10:00. He knew we were at the show and he wanted to have them in the room for us when we returned for the evening; even though he was off the clock at 8:00.

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 18th, 2003, 01:47 PM
Yeoman

For goodness sake Thomas, not everyone would eat at a COUNTRY CLUB, don't you get that many of us with kids take them to the 2.99$ breakfast at the diner.TEN DOLLARS for breakfast,you just can't understand that with a family many of us have to BUDGET. We can get breakfast for the family(3 kids) for 20 -25 bucks.
As for all those extra services you mentioned , we have NEVER used any of them, so yes perhaps you do need to tip extra.
Try and see it from the side of those who have to be frugal, that means no extras. I am glad that some of you tip so well, you obviously use the services vigorously. If I wanted cookies at ten at night I would go to the buffet and ask for them.I am just a simple person that way and don't expect much, seriously, just clean towels make us happy.
As for coffee delivery, room service does that and I tip them seperately( at time of service)
Old November 19th, 2003, 08:52 AM
DebC

We're all for fine dining at times, especially on vacation. But let's be real about the financial value of what we are tipping on here. A RCI meal is not Ruths' Chris, and a kid grabbing a hamburger from Johnny Rocket's does not warrant the same tip as a full sit-down meal.

To assume everyone on a cruise would eat the equivalent of a "Country Club" meal three times a day for all seven days is absurd. Unless someone is extremely well off and/or out to spend lavishly with no thought to the bill at the end, I doubt any family of 6 would eat that way for an entire week on vacation. And our two children certainly wouldn't want to eat that way even if we did want to spend $2600 for all of us to eat for a WEEK!

Probably what we will do, the more I think about it, is tip the recommended amount for the four adults in our group only. Then we will decide by the end of the cruise whether to tip any additional amount, based on the level of service received.

As far as the cabin stewards/housekeepers/maids/whatever you call them - I don't plan to ask that person to spoil us rotten or bring us warm cookies and milk in bed. Just keep the room clean as I would expect in a hotel, which as I stated before is not a task worthy of tipping in my opinion. IF we ask for extra special service and IF we get it (and it's done well), then that absolutely deserves a generous tip. No argument there.

Deb
Old November 20th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Admiral

Deb you bring up some very valid points, that's one reason i am not a huge fan of automatic tipping. We use the cruise lines recommendations as a place to start - we will add for exceptional service and subtract for less than stellar service
Old November 22nd, 2003, 03:01 PM
wallie5446

This is why the lines just need to raise the prices to cover gratuity, just like the all inclusive hotels already do. But then everyone would just whine about poor service.
Old November 22nd, 2003, 09:18 PM
Admiral

I suppose I just always figured in the tips as part of my cruise vacation. I don't question the $99 port charges(whatever the heck THEY are for....) or the tips because it's just part of what a cruise vacation costs.

If I truly couldn't afford to tip under the recommended guidelines (they aren't MANDATORY as some folks keep saying because you always have the option of going to the desk and having them taken off your account), then I would find another vacation. Perhaps a Best Western, McDonald's for breakfast and lunch and dinner at Folks might be better for some budgets.

My father had a saying "Champagne Taste, Beer Budget."

dorothy
fantasy
1-4-04

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old November 23rd, 2003, 12:32 AM
Passenger

I tend to agree with Dorothy -- if the cruiselines raised their rates enough to pay the staff a decent wage, one that would negate the need for tipping, it sounds as if many people would be priced out of this type of vacation. So some people would refuse to tip for good service only because they can't afford it? Should the ship's staff suffer for this "logic"? If the staff isn't compensated adequately, either through tips or wages, it would be difficult to find anyone willing to work hard for poor wages. On the HAL cruises I've been on, I've received exceptional service and the staff didn't know if they would get a tip from me or not -- they worked for tips and deserved them. Their attitude would suffer if they knew they were only going to get tips from people who decide that they *can* afford it, not based on the service received.

As to the cabin stewards -- in the U.S., the minimum wage laws distinguish between people in occupations that generally receive a significant portion of their income from tips and those who don't. Waitstaff have a MUCH lower minimum wage than others in jobs such as housekeepers in hotels. That doesn't hold true on cruise ships -- the wages of both categories of workers is based on their receiving a majority of their income from tips. Denying a cabin steward the income from your tips (assuming that they provide good service) based on the analogy to hotel staff is terribly unfair.

SFJ
Old November 23rd, 2003, 03:42 AM
p.g.

You know many of you have some good points, BUT, are cruise lines not reaping in MILLIONS of dollars in profits each year, perhaps they should check their profit margins in a bit and pay their staff better.Since we are "paying " their staff for them it's just more money for a few "fat cats".

And the poster who made suggestions about "going to Mcdonalds" , well how rude are you, there always seem to be a few on every board who would be happy if cruising went back to the "old days" when only the rich could cruise and the poor went steerage.

Having to be careful of money isn't a moral failure, and it doesn't mean people WON'T TIP, it just means they have to be more careful with their money and QUESTION every extra cent they spend.
It's nice that some of you don't have to be so careful, but , please, join the rest of us "poor "folk in reality land .
Old November 23rd, 2003, 11:46 AM
Admiral

I think most of us are "careful with money". The point I was trying to make is that if you know ahead of time there is a certain gratuity expected and you can't afford it, then you can't afford to cruise.

I don't shop at Neiman Marcus because I can't afford it, but I also don't stand outside the door and BLAME the store! And so what if the cruiselines are making money? I thought that's why ALL businesses were *in* business - to make money.

If cruising is too expensive for you, then suggesting you go on another type of vacation isn't "rude", it's just an invitation to perform a reality check. No one is advocating we go back to the days of only luxury cruises for the wealthy - that's why there are budget cruiselines. But tips are a fact of cruise life and I'd hate to think that the staff on the ship will suffer because, as another poster said, someone can't "afford" to tip.

Happy cruising .

dorothy
fantasy
1-4-04

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old November 24th, 2003, 10:20 AM
Yeoman

Good Grief.... $500.00 for a 5 day cruise. The staff will really love you. My husband and I just got back from a 10 day and only left $250.00 together and that was leaving more than the recommened amounts. Go and have a great time.
Old November 24th, 2003, 11:30 AM
Admiral

I made the comparison to the Country Club because dining in the dining room of the cruise ship is analogous to a Country Club setting. You sit down at a table with a white table cloth, fine china, silverware and glass. Uniformed waitstaff take your order and serve you cooked to order breakfast. They unfold the napkin and place it in your lap. They are there to refill your coffee, juice, whatever. You just don't get this atmosphere at a $2.99 breakfast. More than likely you have to take your plastic cup back up to the machine to get more orange juice.

I do compare a steak and shrimp dinner on a cruise ship to Ruth's Cris. In fact, I think it is better than Ruth's Cris. I think service is better and I think the quality is better. So tipping should be comparable.

If you want to eat at Johnny Rockets, or the buffet, so be it. You have the option to eat in the dining room and the waitstaff is standing there waiting for you to come in. Whether you eat there or not, they are there to serve you if you wish.

"To assume everyone on a cruise would eat the equivalent of a "Country Club" meal three times a day for all seven days is absurd. Unless someone is extremely well off and/or out to spend lavishly with no thought to the bill at the end, I doubt any family of 6 would eat that way for an entire week on vacation.".............DebC

You have that option to eat every meal every day and in fact, have already paid for it. So why not? Some of us take advantage of that because it is part of the price.

Finally, I get a bit perturbed when people think a company is some sort of non-entity that makes millions and therefore that is just enough. That company is made up of owners who want to make some money too. It's my 74 year old mother who owns 100 shares and who gets $0.47 per share dividend each year. It's the pension fund who owns 2000 shares who's trying to keep retiree's checks coming. It's the young couple who is just starting out and owns 50 shares. That's the company owners. Not a couple of "fat cats."

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 24th, 2003, 03:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

The tipping issue is always fun. Comments like if you can afford to go on a cruise you can tip accordingly, comparing the food to some top shelf restaurant. etc etc. We tip normally according to the guidelines. We have tipped over the amount and under the amount due to poor service. Tipping for the food, I have always felt that cruise food was good, not exceptional, the diversity, presentation etc to me is what makes the cruise food experience fun. You have to tip based on what you think is right. In many cases it appears that the automatic tipping (this is based on conversation with some Princess staff members) was done in part to avoid the folks that STIFF the staff, the response from Princess was that they were seeing more tips as most dont make any changes to their account. I also feel it gives the ship more control over the money that is coming in via tips.
Bottom line is the cruise industry is changing and they are nickel diming us for every possible cent that they can. Still a great vacation value though.

Just a side note, we stayed at a B and B in Jackson NH a few weekends ago, now we have stayed up there before, not at this particular B and B, it was funny we were handed the menu for breakfast, and at the bottom was "gratuties for exceptional service" or something to that effect. The girls waiting on us were from Belrus (spelling) and Romania. Making minimum wage and counting on the tips to augment their salary, sound familiar

Pete
Old November 24th, 2003, 09:59 PM
Shellytc

If I stayed in a hotel/resort (land based) for 7 days, I definately would (and have) tipped my housekeeper. In fact it has been hard, because my housekeeper would change throughout the week, and I wanted to make sure I compensated those that took the extra time to "clean" up my mess of make up and hair stuff, other details.

So, I don't think tipping the cabin steward is out of line at all. Even with the simple things like making your bed or changing your towels.

JMHO, though.

Shelly
Old November 24th, 2003, 10:53 PM
DebC

Thomas wrote, in defense of automatic tipping: "You have the option to eat in the dining room and the waitstaff is standing there waiting for you to come in. Whether you eat there or not, they are there to serve you if you wish."

My opinion - Tips are for services RENDERED, not services INTENDED.

I'm currently staying in a San Juan resort hotel on business. There are several fine dining restaurants downstairs. I tip them appropriately when and if I utilize their services, but I don't tip them simply for being there "ready to serve me" at my whim.

To recap - a few my earlier comments were focused on how my two younger children (13 & 15) will probably seldom eat in the full-service dining room. They'll pretty much stick to hamburgers and the like, eating on the run a lot. Thus, I don't think tipping the full automatic amount for them is appropriate or warranted. It frankly doesn't matter if they dining room staff is ready and waiting, if two people in our party rarely use their services, why should the servers get a tip as if they ate there every night? I plan to tip the recommended amount for the adults in our party, then gauge at the end of the cruise what is appropriate for the children, based on where they ate, what they ate and yes, how much of a pain our little darlings may have been to the service staff. Seems fair to me!

DebC
Old November 25th, 2003, 06:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

DebC by golly I think you have it. I would agree, there is a feeling that we have to just tip to tip, someone serves you ice cream wham give them a tip etc etc

I agree with your approach, oh we have done the same thing

Regards

Pete
Old November 25th, 2003, 12:35 PM
Admiral

Sorry DebC, I did not write that in "defense of automatic tipping." You have misunderstood. I wrote that in response to your comment below:

"To assume everyone on a cruise would eat the equivalent of a "Country Club" meal three times a day for all seven days is absurd. Unless someone is extremely well off and/or out to spend lavishly with no thought to the bill at the end, I doubt any family of 6 would eat that way for an entire week on vacation.".............DebC

"You have that option to eat every meal every day and in fact, have already paid for it. So why not? Some of us take advantage of that because it is part of the price.".....Thomas

I don't think it's absurd at all. We use the dining room for every meal and therefore think the suggested amount is rather fair.

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 2nd, 2003, 11:58 AM
DebC

"I don't think it's absurd at all. We use the dining room for every meal and therefore think the suggested amount is rather fair." -- Thomas

So then by extension, if one does NOT use the dining room for every meal, the suggested amount may be adjusted appropriately?

DebC
Old December 2nd, 2003, 12:10 PM
sls

The tips are pooled. If you aren't eating in the dining room then someone else somewhere on the ship is serving you and cleaning up after you. Auto tipping ensures they get money also.

sls
Old December 3rd, 2003, 09:07 AM
Admiral

Breakfast and lunch in the dining room is not as busy as it is for dinner. Therefore they don't have to staff it with as many servers. Those servers not working breakfast and lunch in the dining room will be working in the buffet running food, cleaning tables, doing kitchen prep, stocking shelves, cleaning fruits and vegetables, etc. They are still serving you! They just may not be carrying your food to your table.

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 3rd, 2003, 04:47 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: Clueless on Tips

Thomas I doubt that waiters are doing kitchen prep, and cleaning vegatables, at least I seriously hope they are NOT. Kitchen workers are trained in the neccesary precautions in regards to food safety. Waiters are not.If you are correct then, perhaps this is one reason there is so much sickness on the ships.

I do agree that even if they are not serving in the dining room they may if fact still be working, but we also know that staff hire staff to help with other jobs to make extra money.

Thomas I am working in a fine establishment right now, and yes I recieve tips, but no, when I am not" on the floor" (say doing the flowers or preping serving dishes,) I don't get a cut of the tips for those hours .And let me assure you my wages suck and yes tips count.So although you are a very sympathetic person and seem to tip well I still don't think you can see the issue from the " poor mans side"/.. Once again let me assure you that I do tip( well and approiately) but over tippping really only makes you feel better, it doesn't even nesssecarily benefit the hardest workers who by the way has got to be the dishwashers, that is the most disgusting and tiring job in any restaurant land or sea.I see them sweating away int the dish pits and have nothing but respect for them.
Old December 4th, 2003, 09:32 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Clueless on Tips

P.G.,

I've never worked on a ship but have spoken with the waiters about their jobs and have been told of their duties during the day and they still work in food service despite not being on the floor. Being a restaurant owner this interests me.

Here in Florida the servers take the same Food Handlers Certification test as the cooks. I trained and tested three new servers last evening. The managers have a more detailed course and stringent test than the cooks and servers. Both certifications are good for 5 years. I would venture a guess that the cruiseline's food service staff, with their confined conditions and large population, must be trained and tested more vigorously and often than here.

I have worked every job in the restaurant business and waiting tables is the one I like least. I'd much rather spend 5 hours washing dishes (which I did this past Saturday) than 5 hours waiting on crying children, unreasonable people, and *****ing drunks. When my cooks start ragging on the waitresses for not taking the food out quickly enough I have to stop them to let them know what they don't see on the other side of the wall. The servers have my utmost respect. And tipping them the recommended amount, IMO, is reasonable.

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 11th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Mickie

You don't use the dining room at every meal, do you tip the people working at the buffet when you eat there? do you tip the guy serving you the hamburger? they are the same people who are waiting on you in the dining room. They don't get extra pay for serving in the buffet or making your hamberger and bussing the tables there. They are working 12 to 16 hour days doing those services for you.
If you eat on the ship at all you should be tipping the recommended amount period.