Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 6th, 2003, 01:25 PM
Passenger

Default one simple tipping question

This may be a dumb question but I've never been on a cruise and am totally confused with the whole tipping thing.
Here is my really simple (i think) tipping question.

Do we give out *all* tips at the end of the trip????

What I mean is should we give out small tips during the week for whatever, like people bringing our baggage to our cabin (although I heard your baggage will be there before you right?).

i would just be horrified if I stiffed someone and didn't mean to, I'm new to both crusing and this whole tipping thing other than in resteraunts.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2003, 03:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: one simple tipping question

Lisa,
When you first arrive at the pier, hand over your luggage to the porters there and tip them a dollar or 2 per bag. The rest of the tips you'll give out the last nite out. Now, depending on what cruiseline you are on, some of them have automatic tipping, where it taken out of your Credit card at the end of the cruise, usually $10 per day, per person.

When you order drinks, you pay using your sign/sail card and a tip is already added on to the price, so no extra tips there.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 6th, 2003, 05:37 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: one simple tipping question

thank you for clarifying that i feel better now.
:-)

Lisa

Serenade of the Seas
Old December 18th, 2003, 06:11 PM
jamie gunter

Also make sure you tip for room service if you order. If you go on any excursions, you could tip the operator if you want to also.
Old December 20th, 2003, 09:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Is there any such thing as a simple tipping question???
Old January 11th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Mickie

And No your bags will not be there before you are, or if they are you have experienced a miracle. Many times the bags don't show up till 8pm or sometimes later.
Old February 18th, 2004, 01:32 PM
family cruiser

On the last night do you hand the envelopes to each person receiving the tips or do you leave the tip envelopes in your room with the names of the people receiving them?

also new to cruising.
Old February 18th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Admiral

Hi Family cruiser,
YOu can leave the envelope for your cab in attendant in yur cabin, he/she will find it. The rest bring to the dining room the last nite at dinner and pass them out.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 27th, 2004, 03:31 PM
FL33139

Donna

Im going on RCCL Explorer of the Seas and when we made our reservations we included all gratuities. How does my steward, waiter and busboy know that I have tipped them without physically giving them an envelope? Do they have some sort of list?

I dont want to seem rude or cheap for the service I will receive.

Thanks
Old February 27th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Yes, they have access to the list of who has tips on their sign and sail cards.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old February 27th, 2004, 09:39 PM
FL33139

Thanks Dorothy, but on RCCL I have already paid for the tips when I paid for the entire cruise, not on the "sail card".

I guess I am worried if they come up to me expecting a tip, when I have already taken care of it.
Old February 29th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Admiral

Hi Fl,
They will have a list and they will also give you voughers to hand deliver on the last evening at dinner, not a problem.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 2nd, 2004, 12:16 PM
Tonystantoes

Tipping...its not tipping anymore. Tipping was orginated to give to a person whos service you felt were above the norm. It appears that tipping is now expected, whether the service is good or bad. Everyone has a hand out....Give me, Give me, Give me, I dont get tips eveytime I do a good Job...

Anyway tipping should be at your discression. If the cruise lines don't pay their employees, they should make a big sign stating.....

"WE ARE CHEAP, SO PLEASE WORK HARD AND GIVE OUR EMPLOYEES YOU MONEY SO WE DONT HAVE TO".

Tipping should never never never be expected. It should be given if you feel the service you recieved was of satisfaction to you and your needs.

I tip all the time, but I will never tip if some tells me I have to. Earn it first !!!!!!
Old March 2nd, 2004, 09:58 PM
Admiral

Boy Tony...you must really like this post since you have posted it on every board I've read tonight.

If you don't want to tip, your choice, but it's not about a "service fee" - tipping is tipping and it's an accepted social practice. If you choose not to abide by a social norm, then don't, but own up to it. If it walks like a duck and quacks like duck.......

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old March 3rd, 2004, 07:37 AM
Passenger

AM I CORRECT IN UNDERSTANDING THAT TIPS FOR ROOM SERVICE ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THE "PACKAGE " OF AUTOMATIC TIPS? I AM SAILING ON PRINCESS LINES TO ALASKA
Old March 3rd, 2004, 08:27 AM
Admiral

Hi B,
Yes, you are correct, you'll need to tip the person who delivers your room service a few dollars.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 5th, 2004, 03:21 AM
Kimba

Dorothy

re your last post... If you don't want to tip, your choice, but it's not about a "service fee" - tipping is tipping and it's an accepted social practice. If you choose not to abide by a social norm, then don't, but own up to it.

Tipping is not an accepted social practice nor the social norm in many countries so I don't argee with you on that point. To me that means you must tip no matter whether the service is good or not, I always thought it was an extra amount of money for extraordinary service above what is expected.

The cruise line sends out pamphlets with the cruise documents to non-US citizens telling them about tipping. They do not say please tip if you get exemplary service but tell us it is part of the cruise and we are expected to tip so why not just add it to the cruise price! (and yes we tipped on our Alaska cruise although carrying small notes all the time was a pain!).

So, I can understand why some people do not tip. BUT, what annoys me is when US citizens say things like 'why should I tip'.... don't you grow up with this custom?? Why would you go on a cruise and think 'I won't have to tip even though we do it at home'. I don't understand this at all. If you live in the US and going on a US cruise what is the difference with paying tips in a land based restaurant or on a ship??

Still learning about the custom of tipping,
Kim
Old March 5th, 2004, 08:27 AM
Asealady

Charging 10 dollars a day, per person is so cheap, the staff treats you like kings and queens. We like it the way some lines add tips to your charge card. No running around last night of cruise looking for cash. I dont know how people that dont tip cruise staff can sleep at night.
Old March 5th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Admiral

What kind of tipping occurs on the European ships? If tipping is not customary in those countries are the crew members working for salary only, and if so how does it compare to the U.S. cruises staff's wages?

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 5th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Kimba

Thomas, not sure how the Europeans cruise ships do their tipping but the ones out of Sydney (and this year Brisbane also) the tipping is included in the cruise price and you can tip extra if you want for service above and beyond but this was never pushed. They used to have vouchers you could buy for the extra tips (so they had to be handed in and the individual did not get to keep for themselves).

Cheers,
Kim
Old March 5th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Kimba

I should also mention that the cost of cruising from Sydney (P&O) is quite a bit higher than cruising on Princess.
As a comparison here is what I found, these are brochure prices and have been changed into US$ for convenience.

12 night cruise on Sapphire Princess Auk-Syd 6 Jan 2005 $152.10pp/pd
10 night cruise on Pacific Sun Syd-Syd 8 Jan 2005 $185.54pp/pd

As you can see it is more expensive to cruise on P&O from Sydney than go on a Princess cruise and if you go on a cruise out of the US there is an even greater saving (the flights from Sydney to the US cost more than the cruise itself tho). Even encorporating the extra cost of the tips on the Princess cruise it is still cheaper.

Cheers,
Kim
Old May 1st, 2004, 09:56 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: one simple tipping question

Well, that person that delivers my room service is going to be SOL, because Princess says that the $10 pp/pd that they automatically take off my credit card takes care of tipping. They do not say "except for room service or pool staff" or whatever. In fact, they say that room service is incluced in the cost of the cruise (I know this because they said I could eat in my room if I didn't want to dress up), and I did not read this post, nor will I hear/see any new information that they disseminate now after I've already committed to them.

TDB for the person working on the ship who gets scr**ed, but better they should get scr**ed than that I should allow Princess to scr** me any more than they already have. I already feel like I've put my neck into their noose and now have to allow them to jerk me around at their every whim. But what's the alternative? Cancel now that I've found out all the stuff they neglected to tell me (or is there more stuff yet to hit the fan; who really knows?) and loose my deposit, etc.? Believe me, I'm close to it; but I'm more inclined to go ahead and go and then see how I can wrest back control of the situation. I suppose it's sad that underpaid servants get caught in the crossfire, but it must be better than any other option available to them, or they wouldn't be doing it. (Hmmm.... not unlike my own problem... how often does one allow himself to be scr**ed before throwing in the towel and cutting one's losses?)
Old May 1st, 2004, 10:45 PM
clo

Without reading all the postings on this thread, doesn't Princess "allow" you to opt out of the auto-tip. Then you could tip the individuals including the people who bring you room service.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: one simple tipping question

Hi CB,
The $10 per day tips doesn't include these people that deliver the room service, its costomary to tip them a few dollars. If you were at a hotel and ordered room service, you'd tip them, this is the same thing.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 2nd, 2004, 09:52 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: one simple tipping question

Yup, I'd also tip at a restaurant, too (in the US, anyway), but Princess told me they were taking $70 to cover the tips!
Old May 3rd, 2004, 07:46 PM
Admiral

CB,
Its outlined in the tipping guide, exactly who the tips are going to, it does not include any tipping for when you order room service.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:23 PM
DebC

Default Removal of auto tips - RCI

If I want to remove all of the automatic tips from my account, when is it possible or recommended to do so?

Should this be done on the first day onboard, or the last night, or the final morning before disembarking? Where exactly do we have to go to do this, and is there going to be a hassle - will they give me a hard time about wanting to remove these or simply say "No problem" and do it?

We will be on the RCI Explorer.

DebC
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:36 PM
SLS

Do it right away so no one is counting on your tips.

Actually the last night and the final morning are going to be busy with people asking questions about debarkation and setting up accounts.
Old May 5th, 2004, 11:55 AM
TokyoRose

Said by Donna: The $10 per day tips doesn't include these people that deliver the room service, its costomary to tip them a few dollars. If you were at a hotel and ordered room service, you'd tip them, this is the same thing.

Um, I stayed a resort this weekend and room service included an automatic service fee of 19% plus a $2 delivery charge. There was a line on the bill for gratuity. We did not pay it as we had already been charged for it. If the line says that room service is INCLUDED, then no tips should be expected. It is not up to me to pay the salary of the cruiseship employee. I have already paid it when I booked by cruise.
Old May 5th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

It is not up to me to pay the salary of the cruiseship employee. I have already paid it when I booked by cruise.

Well.. that's not quite true. One way or another you are going to pay the salary of the cruise ship employee.

For now, most of the cruise lines allow you to have some input into what their staff are paid by having a say in how much you tip them. If everyone cruising decided they didn't want to tip the staff because the cruise line should pay them, you can be ASSURED the cost of your cruise would rise by the suggested tipping amount of $10/day/person.

, I stayed a resort this weekend and room service included an automatic service fee of 19% plus a $2 delivery charge

Seems that even though the hotel employees were also paid, you didn't object to the 19% automatic tip on room service bill, along with the delivery charge on top.

At least on a ship you can reduce the amount of the tip, at your discretion, based on the actual level of service you receive. At the hotel, even if your order came an hour late the extra charges are automatic, and non negotiable.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/