Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 6th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Asenath

Default How about this?

Most cruise lines tack a 15% "gratuity" onto every drink purchase.

At the end of the trip, can you have these "gratuities" removed from your bill?
Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: How about this?

Nope.

Old January 6th, 2004, 07:27 PM
SLS

If you're too cheap to tip why don't you just smuggle your own booze, soda, water.

Then go to the purser and remove all the other tips.

In fact you probably should just go to an all inclusive land based trip that doesn't require gratuities.
Old January 7th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Asenath

Actually, I'm not cheap at all. I usually tip my waiter 18% at a restaurant, and I commonly tip bartenders.

But I object to paying a 15% tip for a glass of 7-UP. The bartender reaches down and squirts soda into a plastic cup and hands it to me -wow, that was tough. Even 15% tips for every beer I drink is silly. Soft drinks should be free -and of story.

The cruise lines should just raise the cost of drinks by 10% and do away with this "automatic gratuity" nonsense altogether. People can then add a gratuity as they see fit on their purchase.

It's not the money factor that irritates me, it is the scuzzy solicitation for tips, and the sneaky charges.
Old January 9th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Squally

Default Re: Re: How about this?

I agree with every word your saying. 15% for soda? Maybe if I've been interrupting the service more than 1-2 in a 'reasonable' amount of time. Same thing at land bars/weddings. I'll tip a little less for a round of beers than I would for a round of cocktails, but then again the cost/effort is different. It may not be 15% every time, but it'll 'feel' right for both of us. Never gotten the vibe from the staff at my regular spots that I wasn't off the mark.

I've read/said it before. Tipping is supposed to be a reward for doing a good job not an expectation for doing your job. That said. You also have to respect people in the service industry. Their wages are lower and hours longer. My mind set is to look at it as a progressive rate through the event. Say we go to dinner at a casual/sporty type venue. My thinking is 10% in the door is the worst I'll give someone for 'having a bad day' type service. It would take a lot for someone to not get at least this much. Do your job, we moving to the 15% (+/- a few cents) area. Make me happy over plus a few percent, make my wife like you even more.....

It's a shame society pays service individuals (waiters, bartenders, drivers) like it does. I'm sure it started as a way to 'encourage' excellence. Unfortunately, our get rich society has turned it into a slave class. Like I said in the previous paragraph. I'll always tip something just for 'doing your job'. Just let me do it my way. It would be easier to just run a tab and then do the whole thing with MY tip onto the SS when done.

Author: Asenath (---.paxclearing.com)
Date: 01-07-04 08:18

Actually, I'm not cheap at all. I usually tip my waiter 18% at a restaurant, and I commonly tip bartenders.

But I object to paying a 15% tip for a glass of 7-UP. The bartender reaches down and squirts soda into a plastic cup and hands it to me -wow, that was tough. Even 15% tips for every beer I drink is silly. Soft drinks should be free -and of story.

The cruise lines should just raise the cost of drinks by 10% and do away with this "automatic gratuity" nonsense altogether. People can then add a gratuity as they see fit on their purchase.

It's not the money factor that irritates me, it is the scuzzy solicitation for tips, and the sneaky charges.
Old January 10th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Yeoman

Good posts. Being cheap has nothing to do with it SLS just doesn't understand that we don't have to mindlessly hand over money for nothing. I tip , and I tip well when earned. I just don't think pouring a pop and handing it to me is hard work. I takes but a second , and as far as I'm concerned if the bill was 1.50 I'd probaly give $2 and say keep the change, but the point is that it would be my CHOICE to do that .
Old January 11th, 2004, 07:05 PM
SLS

I do realise what you are saying. Why should I tip more on an expensive bottle of wine than a cheap one? It took the same effort to open the bottle and pour it in the glass.

sls