Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Passenger

Default first day tipping

Would it be a good idea to tip the room steward say $20.00 the first day to get better service and maybe the waiter too? Should I tell them there will be more coming at the end of the cruise or just let them assume that?Please let me know your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: first day tipping

Priming the pump never hurt. I try to let the room staff know that little extras are realllllllly apppreciated. I'll usually get with the room steward / ess on the first day to put in an order for iced tea, lemon, extra ice, and cookies/snacks at a particular time each day and have always been pleased with the service. etc.... for this I leave a $5.00 the first day. I tell them that the glass I leave on the dresser is for them. I usually empty my change each night and put it in the glass along with a stray bill. This is , of course in addition to the EOC gratuities. I would dare say say that your 20.00 should really open some eyes...I've never pretipped dining staff as most have been "bend over backwards " to please, anyway .(with few exceptions).. ;-))Happy kruzin'
SSaFWs..ED
Old January 14th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Admiral

I do the same. I usually give $10 or $20 and ask for a special favor, however this last cabin steward I had didn't want to order orange juice in the morning for me and told me to call room service each morning even though I was holding a $20 bill out to him. I put the $20 in my pocket.

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 14th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Passenger

Thanks, I'm sure they are all different. I appreciate the replies.
Old January 16th, 2004, 03:26 PM
McCall

Default Re: Re: first day tipping

I find it interesting how much people tip or pretip etc. We usually tip $50 the first time we meet our steward with promise of more later and have always had exceptional service. I know others that have pre tipped and gotten rotten service. No guarantees in life I guess
Old January 27th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Yeoman

Can I clean your room??? ;-))
SSaFWs..ED
Old February 5th, 2004, 08:46 AM
MyNextCruiseIsNotSoonEnou

Tipping is a personal decision, so how and when other people tip is up to them. Since you asked for opinions, though, mine happens to be that we tip at the conclusion of the service. Tipping beforehand feels smarmy to me, and I think it might convey to the staff that I'm going to be high-maintenance. I'm not, and I don't happen to need pampering or special favors when I travel, so I wouldn't risk being a big turn off to the staff from the get-go.