Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 27th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Admiral

Default Re: what if i dont tip?

I waited tables all through high school and college, and now own a restaurant. The location of tables, the sections each server gets, and the shifts they work vary from one restaurant to another. We rotate the sections, so each server gets the "good" ones. We alternate customers between sections so each server gets the same number of tables. And we have trouble finding enough servers to staff a Friday or Saturday night!!! One or two of them on the schedule always has a party to go to, or can't find a baby sitter, or has friends in town, or something!!!

If tips are low one of two things is happening: 1) the customer is telling you they were not satisfied, or 2) They are just poor tippers.

I had a waitress once who gleefully told me she made $250 in a four hour shift on Saturday night. Then on Tuesday said she made less than minimum wage and wasn't going to put on her report anything more. I had to ask her, did she put down the $250 from Saturday night? "Well, no. Of course not. "

I'm under legal obligation to report her earnings to the IRS. What should I do?

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 28th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: what if i dont tip?

I'm a religious non-tipper (I only tip when the service is exceptional, not just average.) I hear this argument all the time - that these people depend on my tips to make a living wage.

My answer is that it is the cruise lines' obligation to pay their employees a decent living wage. It is also the cruise lines' obligation to ensure that their employees perform their duties in a professional, competent manner, without regard to any future remuneration they might receive. That's their job.

The cruise line (and restaurant industry) have brainwased their customers into foolishly subsdizing their payroll for them.

That's precisely what my $1,000 has paid for, the cost of goods and services while I'm aboard their ship. It's their employees' JOB to make my bed, bring me my food, etc. Is the cruise line willing to TIP me, that is, give me some of my money back, if the service doesn't meet average standards? When that happens, then I'll start to tip.

It's a sad commentary on the integrity and work ethic of people, when the only way to get them to perform the duties they've already agreed to provide at their agreed wage, is to give them more money.

Post Edited (04-28-04 14:17)
Old April 28th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Passenger

I would rather be an equal opportunity "Stiffer", rather than a selective, elitist "Tipper".

Unless you tip every cruise line employee that contributes to make your cruise experience enjoyable, you are a selecive, elitist "Tipper".

Do you tip the waiter who supposedly "earns" his tip by managing to deliver my food without putting his thumb in my mashed potatoes; but ignore the lowly dishwasher, who, in my opinion, has the more important job?

Do you tip the cabin attendant who makes a nice hospital corner when she makes your bed and leaves a mint on your pillow, but ignore the laundry person who provides you with clean sheets?

Do you tip every member of the cleaning crew you pass who is maintaining the appearance and function of the ship?

How about the bridge crew? The employees in the power station? The embarking and disembarking personnel? The tender drivers? Library attendant?

These and dozens more, ALL contribute to your cruise yet experience, yet you choose to acknowledge only the select few whose wages the cruise line has guilted you into subsidizing.

I say it is more civil and equitable for the cruise line to provide a living wage to their employees for the services they provide, and then ensure those employees provide those services in a competent and professional manner.

Tips be damned.
Old April 28th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Passenger

Sorry. Posted twice.

Post Edited (04-28-04 15:04)
Old April 29th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Passenger

i've always tipped according to service even poor service is tipped' althought very minimal
Old May 1st, 2004, 11:28 PM
Admiral

Good grief! Don't you understand that if the cruiseline pays the employee a higher wage to compensate for non-tippers you are still going to shell out the same amount of money?????? The ticket price will go UP! Then you will be paying the higher amount just to get your butt on the ship and guess what??............now you won't be able to reduce your tips for average service as you state because you already paid it in the cost of the ticket!!!!

So the cruiseline raises their prices $70 per person and now pays the servers a higher salary. You don't tip. You receive bad service because the employee has no incentive to treat you special because you (and everyone else) are not affecting their pay anymore because you didn't want to tip and forced the cruiseline to charge more for tickets resulting in higher wages for the serving staff.

I like tipping. It allows me to evaluate an employee and determine what rewards he/she deserves on this trip!