Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 27th, 2004, 01:45 PM
sdiver

Default why forced tipping upsets me

i think its garbage that cruise ships pay the service employees pennies and pass of their slave labor costs to us.. these people are paid by our forced tips... thats how the cruise lines lure them in.... so when i cruise, i hate to sound harsh, but i tip them as i would tip my housekeeper at a hotel on land or a waiter in a normal restaurant.... its not my fault that they choose to work on a ship, why should i overpay because i am on vacation, that bothers me the most.. i have already paid for their salaries when i payed for my cruise, its not my fault that the ship doesnt pass it on to the employees...... i love to give them tips, not salaries, when i am on board,...honestly, who pays more than thirty bucks for a six night stay at a tiny hotel room... now, if they go above and beyond then they will be pleased they did it for me as i am the most appreciating person they will ever have and i will compensate them with the all mighty dollar... i also tip throughout the cruise, i dont want to hand out envelopes and have them all pooled and i refuse to do the automatic tipping, i think its an insult...i actually tip much more when it is at my discretion
Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2004, 01:03 PM
McCall

Default Re: why forced tipping upsets me

I think you are right they should add a few hundred to your cruise fare and pay the help accordingly and then let people just tip as they like.
You should be paying a fair price for what you are recieving, and so far you are not.
Old January 29th, 2004, 09:38 AM
True Brit

Whoa there McCall! I didn't read anything that said add a few hundred dollars to the price of the cruise in the original post. As for paying a fair price the cruise industry is driven by us the consumers. In the long run we establish what we are willing to pay; why are there so many discount offers around at the moment if not? The only ones who are not being fair are the cruise lines themselves but it must be remembered that the employees were not press ganged into working on a ship - they chose to. Maybe $50 per month is a heck of a lot to them.
Paul
Old January 29th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

if fifty bucks is alot to them then why am i tipping them tripple their monthly salary after a week stay? ... once again... our cruise price pays for a room and uncooked food... you have to tip to get the room taken care of and your food prepared.... so if fifty bucks is alot to them then they should be happy if i give them ten bucks... i wish someone would give me 20% of my salary for the month every seven days for doing my job.. sounds good.. i could used the extra fifteen hundred a week...
Old January 30th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Asealady

they work hard, one of the hardest working people
they should getthere tips
Old January 30th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

i agree... but dont force me into it... let me decide what they are worth.. but not everyone is like me.. they probably dont appreciate them as i do.. i guess i am more upset that the cruise lines dont pay them squat, and they pass on the responsibility of paying the employees bills to us.. they dont seem to care about them.... i would rather pay more upfront and know that the employees are happy
Old February 2nd, 2004, 12:15 PM
Admiral

I think it's a good idea to tip in the traditional way so those who do well are rewarded well. Those that don't, won't. People in the service field must be driven to excellence by incentive based rewards. Pooling and automatic tips are to keep the servers happy since there are a good number of people who won't tip them regardless of the service level (my BIL, for one)

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 3rd, 2004, 01:22 PM
McCall

Default Re: Re: why forced tipping upsets me

No I don't believe $50 is a lot to any of them and If that were all they were going to get they would not take the jobs in the first place, it is only the lure of tips they CAN earn that makes them accept these jobs under such conditions as they live and work, away from home for 6 months or more at a time.
But then to have the passengers complain about having to tip these people who bust there butts for them all week.
How do you people justify that sort of thinking?
you pay rock bottom price for a cruise and then gripe about every drink, having to tip, it makes me sick.
Ever figure what the fuel to run these ships costs? the cost of building the stupid thing in the first place? maintenance? food?
I have stated before and I will again I wish that the cruiselines would just include that $10 pp. per day in your cruise cost, then let people tip as they may instead of calling it tips. But the passengers should be paying this cost one way or another, but then there are plenty who are happy to stiff everyone that works hard and let everyone else pay instead.
Old February 4th, 2004, 08:11 AM
Passenger

I also hate forced tipping....we will be crusing next week on ncl..which has auto deduction for tips...i do not want to do this..and would rather tip what i want to...does anyone know how i would go about this? Please help! thank you
Old February 4th, 2004, 08:36 AM
McCall

Default Re: Re: why forced tipping upsets me

Did you Bother to read the other posts in this thread?
IF you remove the auto tips then the people you DO tip WILL NOT get to keep that money.
You can do it, you can remove them go to the purser. But just KNOW that by doing so you are reducing the tips of the people who serve you not enhancing them.
Old February 4th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

why cant they just pocket a hundo... they earned it, they should get to keep it.. .. so how does anyone know if they keep it?
i am more than happy to take care of my steward, actually it makes me feel good, but i am not going to tip the head housekeeper... when i got to a restaurant i dont tell the waiter, hey, heres five bucks for the manager.. are you kidding me? i tip those who directly affect my vacation, not people i dont come in contact with.. or someone who sits me down.. nope, no way... its out of control
Old March 5th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Bruce Chafkin

You certainly can tip your own way if you like.
First, you can request to have the auto-tips removed.
Then you go to the reception desk and request a big bag of one dollar bills and quarters.
At every meal you will have somewhere between 4 and 10 different people servicing your table. You can give each one maybe 50 cents or a dollar if you are satisfied.
Then when you go to the bar and have a drink, you can do the same with the barman and/or a waitress or two. Ditto for the show lounge.
Then you have 2 cabin stewards and perhaps one or two more assistants for them. At least you can tip the cabin stewards at the end of the week instead of chasing them around like you wil have to do with the waiters in every restaurant (as many as 10 different restaurants) that you choose to eat in on the ship.
At the end of the cruise you will probably have tipped out several hundred dollars, and lost several pounds chasing an army of waiters around the ship while carrying your bag of tips.
As soon as you leave the ship, the waiters will put all that change back into the tip[ping pool (the same pool you took it out of) and life goes on.

Sound kind fo silly????
Old March 8th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Yeoman

MC - ask at the pursers desk to have your auto tips removedfrom your billing when you first get on the ship. Then hand each person their tip at the end of the cruise. I have heard that not all tips handed to the staff are "reported" and they do get to keep these tips. I don't like being told how much I am required to tip. The tips I leave reflects the service I recieved. Treat me well and you will be rewarded.

Old March 13th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Cruisingrandma

They deserve every penny they get. They are making our vacation so relaxing for us. I like the auto tipping. It is all taken care of. We pay ours right with our cruise . Then we get vouchers and we give them out on the last nite. Well we give extra in the envelopes. Especially when they go above and beyond for ur. I am in food service and I know how it is to work for Tips. Believe me there are not many people out there that know how to tip. I feel if you want to go out you need to know how to tip. Hey.... cruises are cheap vacations... we get great prices.... If you work hard you all can do that. But dont take away from the people that are working to make our vacations great. If we have a personable wait staff. hey they get big tips from us. If they do there job but not personable they still get good tips from us. They are still working here for us. This is a time for having fun. Dont get all twisted about having to pay tips. They work hard for us all! HAppy Cruising......