Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 28th, 2004, 04:32 PM
adalace

Default Would you believe....

Two years ago me and my friend went on our first cruise on the Galaxy (Celebrity), we are both in our twenties. We knew that we had to tip but we really didn't know how much. Anyway to make a long story short on the last day (in Puerto RIco) we put a total of 40 dollars in an envelope and gave it to the girl who was tendering our room. I believe we checked off two people on the envelope, I can't remember. Now mind you now we only had a couple dollars left so we could catch a cab to the airport. We literally could not afford to give what we did not have. We were travelling on a budget. Anyway I handed her the envelope. About 1 minute or 2 passed and there was a knock on the door and she handed back the envelope with the money inside. I can't remember her exact words but basically she told me that I had to put more in the envelope. I took the envelope back and closed the door. Me and friend bursted out laughing in total shock. I was under the impression that we did not have to tip if we did not want regardless of the service. So we put several more dollars in the envelope and handed it back to her and that was it.
I felt bad because when we got off the ship, we could not even tip the people who helped us with our luggage. They cursed us off in spanish.
What a calamity.
Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2004, 10:40 AM
McCall

Default Re: Would you believe....

It was your responsibility to know what was expected of you before you booked your cruise.
I don't think they should have come back and asked for more, but you should have tipped more initially unless you had a problem with the service.
Old January 30th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Yeoman

Perhaps you should go camping on your next vacation1!!

Carol
Old February 6th, 2004, 02:02 PM
karn

A tip is suppose to be a thank you for services rendered. If that's all you could afford then I suppose this is ok. What if you had gotten horrible service, would you have tipped. - I hope not much! You did what you could at the time.
Old February 7th, 2004, 12:03 PM
True Brit

Default Re: Re: Would you believe....

And there was me, a poor simple minded Brit, who thought that the brochures all said that the following amount is the RECOMMENDED tip/gratuity. Unless US dictionaries vary totally from Oxford English recommended does not mean compulsory or to be exceeded. It is a suggestion and at the discretion of the giver. If you want to make it compulsory at a set rate then say so and don't expect me to pay anything over the odds! "Should have tipped more initially" is totally out of order. "Should have tipped less after that reaction" is far more realistic.
See you in camp. Paul
Old February 8th, 2004, 12:41 AM
Yeoman

What a rude girl, I can't imagine "demanding " more tip money! That is tacky! I agree , a tip is not a "mandatory fee" so the girl was out of line!
Don't go crying in " well she needs that money" tough, I need money too. and I have on occasion gotten a smaller tip than expected, but if the client hands it to me with a smile then I understand that they were happy with my service but are either underfunded or cheap. I don't EVER demand more.
Old February 19th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Tipping

People should be tipped for providing good service. It is not our problem the cruise lines pay so little. If the pay is not enough, perhaps the person is in the wrong line of work. If they are good at their work and have a smile on their face, it will show in the manerisims of the worker so we a customers pick up on this resulting in us having a positive experience. When we feel good about food, service friendliness, overall expreience, etc, we as customers tend to tip much better. I find the happy staff and I simply stik to them for the entire trip. They take care of me and my them!.

Golden Princess
Old February 20th, 2004, 10:49 AM
McCall

I just find it sad that so many cheapskates cruise then come on here and brag about it and complain that tips are actually anticipated by the crew.

I have no problem with people tipping what they feel is fair for the actual degree of service they recieved whether it is more or less than the suggested amounts.
But don't claim that the crew is being PAID to do their job even if no one tips them because that just plain is not true the Tips they recieve ARE their pay so if the passengers choose not to tip them then they are working for free basically.

Those who feel they paid their fare and that was enough are the cheapskates I mentioned. and they are simply sticking their heads in the sand and trying to justify themselves.

I have said all along that they should simply stop calling them tips and charge a service fee. Period.
Then if anyone wishes to tip in addition to that fee fine, but eveyone pays the fee regardless and they can quit griping about Tips.
Old February 21st, 2004, 03:59 PM
Admiral

I'm starting to agree with you McCall. Just charge everyone $70 MORE per person for a 7 day cruise and get it over with!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old February 22nd, 2004, 11:17 AM
True Brit

Default Re: Re: Would you believe....

Dorothy - best idea of the century; and we are only 3 & a bit years in! Pass the buck back to the cruise lines to start paying their staff a living wage guaranteed. I would also guarantee that we, the customers, end up paying less at the end of the day. They cannot fill their ships now so putting up the prices can only hurt them.
How do we go about voting on this?
Paul.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 12:37 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Would you believe....

My only problem with adding a service fee is that sooner or later they would start expecting you to tip in addition. I always have tipped more than the suggested amount, but that would stop if all ships started added service fees.
Old February 27th, 2004, 11:23 AM
US marine Corps.

First, if a service provided above and beyond the norm, I tip (tip well)

Second, I would have just kept the money ........ and if "cus" at ..... kicked thier "deleted"!
Old March 2nd, 2004, 12:20 PM
Tonystantoes

Tipping...its not tipping anymore. Tipping was orginated to give to a person whos service you felt were above the norm. It appears that tipping is now expected, whether the service is good or bad. Everyone has a hand out....Give me, Give me, Give me, I dont get tips eveytime I do a good Job...

Anyway tipping should be at your discression. If the cruise lines don't pay their employees, they should make a big sign stating.....

"WE ARE CHEAP, SO PLEASE WORK HARD AND GIVE OUR EMPLOYEES YOU MONEY SO WE DONT HAVE TO".

Tipping should never never never be expected. It should be given if you feel the service you recieved was of satisfaction to you and your needs.

I tip all the time, but I will never tip if some tells me I have to. Earn it first !!!!!!

IT IS A SERVICE FEE...thats what it is
Old March 5th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Kim Streed

First of all I always tip! But that is each individuals decision on how much according to the quality of service they receive. It should never be expected!

If that girl would have handed me back the envelope telling me to put more money in it(How Rude). I would have handed her back the envelop with $0 money inside and instead a note that stated: You were very Rude so instead of the original $40 you get nothing. I hope you learned a lesson!!!