Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Admiral

Default Ending up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
A waiter would love to receive the full $12/day.

The $12/day is divided between the waiter, asst waiter, steward and on some lines the Head Waiter, Head Housekeeper and behind the scenes crew.

The waiter ends up with about $3/pp/day.

Take care,
Mike
We always have received envelope for the asst. waiter, steward and head waiter on the lines we have been on..Why we have to tip the Head Housekeeper I don't know.. and I do assume that the wait staff does tip the behind scenes crew..
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Administrator
Admiral

On all of the Carnival Corporation lines, if you do not pull your tips, the amount is dispersed among the waitstaff, cabin steward, headwaiter and a small amount (about .50/day) goes to the behind the scenes staff (galley, laundry).

If you pull your tips and "decide" to tip in person then all of the money you give to an individual must go into the tip pool. If you do not pull your tips and give extra then the individual can keep the extra money. On NCL all extras are to be turned in to the pool.

The only major line that still uses the envelopes now is Royal Caribbean and it's lines. (Celebrity and Azamara)

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Admiral

Cool Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
On all of the Carnival Corporation lines, if you do not pull your tips, the amount is dispersed among the waitstaff, cabin steward, headwaiter and a small amount (about .50/day) goes to the behind the scenes staff (galley, laundry).

If you pull your tips and "decide" to tip in person then all of the money you give to an individual must go into the tip pool. If you do not pull your tips and give extra then the individual can keep the extra money. On NCL all extras are to be turned in to the pool.

The only major line that still uses the envelopes now is Royal Caribbean and it's lines. (Celebrity and Azamara)

Take care,
Mike

Great information Mike...Since we had a different waiter each night I can understand their lack of enthusiasm for service on NCL.. Maybe that is why Celebrity still gives great service...the envelopes are an incentive..and in all seriousness the degree of service and "little things" really makes cruising with Celebrity special and the fact that they do it continually right now makes them a step above other lines I've cruised lately..
Old April 18th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Most P&O UK ships use the ''cash in envelope'' system except for those on freedom/anytime dining.I find it an embarrassment.
Old April 18th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Admiral

I'll jut jump right in here because I have issues with some of the "reasons" given for tipping in general.

I will never, ever pre-pay - that's why we don't use anytime dining. I never will. That said, we have only once cut back on a tip - we always give at least the recommended amount and at that point, it is our choice. Once our steward ended up with nothing - and I'll tell you why. When our bags arrived he brought them into our room (which they are actually not suppose to do). Then knocked on the door to balcony because we were out there - stuck his hand out and wanted a tip for bringing in our bags. He got 2 bucks - and that was it for the rest of the week.

Generally we do not tip the head waiter. They are well paid and really don't do anything for us. The only time we had an exceptional head waiter was on our last cruise on HAL and he did earn his tip.

At home or when in the U.S. we do not tip more than 10% with the odd time 15%. I feel that's sufficient.

I do not tip my hairdresser because she is the owner.

Friday when I went for a pedicure and a fill, for the first time I nevered tipped - not only that but I won't ever return there. She cut my toe and just glared!!!! If I could have walked out then I would have.

I will never tip for bad service - I don't care who or where.

I work very hard for my money and I expect good service. If the food is lousy and I send it back I don't blame the wait staff (ship or land) however their attitude will play into it. There is a steak house here we go to once in awhile. Service is outstanding although the steaks are off once in awhile. When we send it back we not only get a new one, we get exlempary service and usually a free dessert. Now that is service.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old April 18th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Admiral

I never send food back, maybe it's me but I have this sneaky suspicion that they just "may" do something to it....
Old April 18th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
I never send food back, maybe it's me but I have this sneaky suspicion that they just "may" do something to it....

Oh I've never thought of that..................hmmmmmmmmmmmm

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 02:35 PM
First Mate

Agree

Rob (rob, victoria - cruise.co.uk)
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old April 23rd, 2010, 02:38 PM
First Mate

Glad to hear..
CDN rates are now about 99.5% to US
Old April 23rd, 2010, 03:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Is this a Dracula thread? Back from the dead. No posts for 3 years, then a year, and now.........life.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 03:50 PM
First Mate

Kind of... it was a long sleep, some blood loss, will need to replenish :evil:

Our last cruise was May 2006 then I ran into interesting health issues with no allowance for travel. Now I'm semi-retired and booked a cruise and can spend time on the boards.
Actually I'm on the cruise.co.uk board also (Rob Victoria)