Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 29th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Passenger

Default Carnival Paradise Tipping Questions

Hi, I'm a 1st time cruiser and will be leaving on the Paradise - February 8th, 2004. I've read many of the posts here, only to become more confused I think. Looking through my cruise documents, it says my S&S card will be charged $9.75/day for tips per person. The only people going will be me and my new wife. That translates into $136.50 total for the 7-day cruise. If we decide to leave it like that and have it charged on my card, are there any other places on board the ship that I will need to tip? Does this cover any of the other restaurants/services on board?

If so, do they also charge these tips to my S&S card or will I need to bring dollar bills to tip for these other waiters/services? The impression I get from the cruise booklet is that I wouldn't need to tip anywhere else.

Furthermore, if I want to do ALL tipping manually, do you go to the Purser's Desk to have it removed at the beginning of the cruise or end?

Thanks,

Ryan

Carnival Paradise
Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2004, 10:45 AM
McCall

Default Re: Carnival Paradise Tipping Questions

If you have the tips removed then anything you do tip will go into a general tip pool and the people you give it to will not get to keep it.
If you leave the tips on and then give extra to someone they will be able to keep it.
the only people the automatic tip does not cover is room service.
when you order any beverages a gratutiy is added to your bill automatically so no additional tip is needed there.
off the ship you will need plenty of cash for tipping porters cabbies etc. $1.50 to 2.00 a bag is standard.
Old January 29th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Carnival Paradise Tipping Questions

Thanks McCall. I emailed my travel agent and this is the reply I received:

"The auto - tipping cannot be removed . There are no other places on board the ship that require tipping. The amount of the gratuities will appear on your itemized statement. If you feel that someone needs to be tipped more based on the service you receive you can go to the purser's office and have the amount adjusted.
Also you do not need to tip for your luggage transportation unless you want to."

Does that sound right?

Carnival Paradise
Old February 7th, 2004, 06:04 PM
wags in the 'peg

Default Re: Re: Carnival Paradise Tipping Questions

tipping CAN be removed. We just got off the Paradise on 1 Feb 04 and we adjusted our tips slightly the second last day. There's no probs at all, the pursers/info desk will do it for you willingly. (We gave our dinign room waiter a little less as we only ate 6 suppers and no break or lunch there). Also, we never ordered a drink the 1st day and therefor the bar gal never came around again. We asked our head waiter for a drink during appetizer, it arrived at the end of supper.