Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 17th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Getting off the ship

We will be on a 7-night cruise that spends four full days in ports. Most likely we will not have lunch or dinner on the ship on those days. Carnival will auto-tip to my bill for seven full days for each of us. Since we will be ashore for so many meals, are we still expected to tip the full amount for those days?

I am asking about the proper Protocol, if such a thing exists.
Thanks!

MaryC
Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Getting off the ship

The proper thing to do is to tip as though you were eating in the dining room. Most of the time the ship leaves port around 4 p.m. so you will likely have dinner in the dining room on those port days. I advise you to have lunch in the dining room as well whenever you can, it is much more relaxing and better food than the buffet.

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 17th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Getting off the ship

The ship will be in port until 10:00 pm one night and 11:00 the other three. In Aruba, we have already signed up for a tour that includes dinner and bar hopping. While in St. Thomas we are meeting friends who have the good fortune to live on St. John, and will be dining with them that night. I have no objection to tipping when I am aboard the ship, even if for only one meal. In this case it seems a little extravagant, since we will be on shore for four out of seven days and not even using any of the food services .
Old February 17th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yes, its proper to tip the regular amount even if you are not there all the nights.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 17th, 2004, 09:28 PM
TokyoRose

Absolutely should you NOT tip if you don't any meals in the dining room. You don't tip at a restaurant just for driving by. Feel free to adjust your tips accordingly.
Old February 17th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Toyoko,
The poster was asking for the protocol, which you may disagree with, but that's what is proper.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 18th, 2004, 02:09 PM
McCall

She is certainly free to adjust the tips but she asked what the proper protocol is and that is that you do tip even if you choose to dine elsewhere.
Old February 20th, 2004, 10:38 PM
robertj668

I love this subject!

I am not sure who set the protcal. I do not tip a resturant if I don't eat there. However, I do tip more while having dinner in a Resturant. The sugested tip is so little anyway. So we usually tip it anyway.

Some one once posted this once before and I agree with it.

I will paraPhrase this

"While having dinner in the dinning room and the service is not to your expectations then say something about it. And when the Maitre de asks how is everything, be honest and say you are not happy."

That can be hard sometimes. It is very hard for me. But I feel better when I speak my mind.

You know what I am not sure why I added that but I always liked it.
Old February 21st, 2004, 04:57 PM
Admiral

Protocol is to tip for the days that you cruise, which is 7 in your case. I doubt you will have any days that you don't eat ANY meals onboard.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:24 PM
Tonystantoes

Tipping...its not tipping anymore. Tipping was orginated to give to a person whos service you felt were above the norm. It appears that tipping is now expected, whether the service is good or bad. Everyone has a hand out....Give me, Give me, Give me, I dont get tips eveytime I do a good Job...

Anyway tipping should be at your discression. If the cruise lines don't pay their employees, they should make a big sign stating.....

"WE ARE CHEAP, SO PLEASE WORK HARD AND GIVE OUR EMPLOYEES YOU MONEY SO WE DONT HAVE TO".

Tipping should never never never be expected. It should be given if you feel the service you recieved was of satisfaction to you and your needs.

I tip all the time, but I will never tip if some tells me I have to. Earn it first !!!!!!

THIS IS A SERVICE FEE...

SO if you dont use the service dont PAY
Old March 5th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

The tipping was automatically charged to our account, $10/day. It did seem like a small amount so we didn't adjust it. Although there were in fact 2 days that we did not have a single meal on the ship (unless you count self-service coffee as a meal). But the staff works hard and it seemed so petty to worry about such a small amount when we were just too busy having fun.
MaryC