Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2004, 10:29 PM
JohnA

Default ROOM SERVICE

I have been on a number of cruises, 11 to be exact, and have never had a meal in my cabin. My wife and I have always enjoyed the people we have had dinner with, and therefore had our dinner in the diningroom. We even enjoy eating breakfast (when we do) and lunch in the diningroom as well, as we tend to eat less and enjoy the company there also.
We are now going on a twenty-four day cruise, and know that we have to break up the routine some which we believe means having some breakfasts and dinners as well in our cabin. I would like to hear from a number of you what the tipping guideline should be. Do we need a big stack of $1.00's or $5.00's to hand out. It is a princess ship, so they will also add their $10.00 per person per day to our bill.
Thanks.....JohnA
Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2004, 08:54 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: ROOM SERVICE

It is customary to tip the room service server for each delivery. For a simple tray of drinks and sandwiches $1-2 should suffice. For a full meal (if available for inroom service) then more would be in order. Perhaps $5. Of course this will be your call.
SSaFWs..ED
Old February 29th, 2004, 05:58 AM
Yeoman

if my cabin meal is served to me by my room attendant then i add a few bucks to his end of the cruise tip - if it is served by a room service waiter then i give him 2 bucks at the time of delivery

this is the first time i have been in this topic board and i am absolutely amazed how many excuses people can come up with in order not to tip someone

Old March 1st, 2004, 03:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I ordered a complete dinner one evening on Voyager and tipped the guy who brought it $5.00, from the time I called, it was only 30 minutes and it was there.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 1st, 2004, 06:15 PM
Michael and Joanne

I usually tip $2/person, so if the two of us ordered room service I tipped $4. I wouldn't recommend room service for dinner (because you miss out on much better food) but I really enjoyed breakfast in bed on my sea days.
Old March 6th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Passenger

I agree that the waiter should be tipped but is there a cost for a room service meal?
Old March 7th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

There is no cost for a room service meal. The people who set up and deliver room service on Princess are not your room stewards or your regular wait staff. These are staff who are specifically assigned to room service and to the best of my knowledge are NOT included in the $10 per day auto tip. I always tip at least $1 - $2 for a snack or light breakfast....more for a full meal.

Old March 13th, 2004, 06:20 PM
kala

We tipped the room service waiter $2.00 each time he brought us food!