Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 8th, 2004, 04:03 AM
Sheik

Default tipping makes staff rich?

Hi,

I'm from Europe, and tipping is often included in the prices. I was playing with my calculator and was shocked. I hope you guys can explain this...

Vogager of the Seas --> 3000+ passengers
Tip for staf --> 11 USD pp

for example there are 1500 paying guests and all pay 9 USD per person in total
1500 x 9 = 13.500 USD / 4 staffmembers (RCL Cruises) = 3375 USD per staffmember per cruise!!!!!

They're earning a huge salary per cruise...or do I make a big mistake here?
Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2004, 07:03 AM
Sheik

Default Re: tipping makes staff rich?

Oeps, I made a mistake. I have to divide 3375 with the amount of staffmembers...
Old March 8th, 2004, 11:57 AM
pg,

I can hardly think they get "rich " on their tips because if they did , don't you think they would "retire" in say 5 or 10 years instead of cleaning other peoples toilets!! i know it sounds like they get alot but remember that it does get divided up in ways we are not always aware of, for instance if a staff member is sick they often "pay" another staff member to help them with their duties or take "shifts " for them..Most of the staff send the money home to support their families, so even keeping a bit back for themselves( they do need clothes , new shoes ,, toothpaste, etc.) affects their abliltiy to help their wife and kids.

Most of us don't make tons of money, but we make enough that after working and paying our bills we can afford a vacation abroad( or a cruise) every year or two, or in our case every five years()Do you think your cabin steward has that luxury?
Old March 9th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Yeoman

you are assuming that only 4 people are splitting your tips --- maybe there are more--and yes i know in europe the service charge is included --but your cruise in not in europe under european conditions --when in rome do like the romans do -- and imo why are you bothering to try to figure out how much these people earn for working 14 or so hour days and for 7 days a week ---- the best that they can hope for is a half day off especially when a ship docks so they can go ashore to call home

Old March 10th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

I've read sooooooooooo much about how tips get divided between the crew.

I've heard that it all gets divied up by the Maitre D' - who hands it out to ???????.

Ok - there's the wait staff.
The wine waiter?
Themselves (Maitre D', Assistant Maitre D')
Kitchen staff?
Bar staff?
Engineering staff?

Where does it all end? In the 'good ole days' you could rely on tipping your waiter/steward and he kept the money he'd earned. Now it all gets pooled.

On out last trip we tipped 50% extra than the onboard compulsory gratuity. If (as we worked it out) everybody did the same and the tips were divided by the dining room staff and the room steward - I'm sorry - but then everybody would be on one heck of a salary. More than I earn.

For our troubles - on the last morning at breakfast - all we got from our dining room staff was a coffee slammed down on the table without even a smile or a word of thanks.

That's one way to stop people tipping in the future.

Pete
Old March 10th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Passenger

Your math above is a little fuzzy. Let's consider a 7 day cruise on a ship with 3000 passengers and 1200 crew, and an automatic tip of $10 per person per day is added to the bill:

3,000 passengers x $10 per day = $30,000.
$30,000 x 7 day cruise = $210,000 total into the tipping pool.
$210,000 / 1200 crew = $175 per crew member per week.

I doubt that the tips are divided equally among all of the crew, and this does not include the bar tips. I've always assumed that the 15% service charge on every bar tab went to the bar staff, but now that I think about it that could just as easily get thrown into the tipping pool as well.

Tipping is not a perfect situation. Those who are customer-facing get the tips. Those who are working just as hard behind the scenes generally don't get anything. I know in some restaurants the waitstaff must share their tips with the cooks, but there is still a lot of discrepancy. If the tips go to everyone across the board, it seems a lot more fair to everyone, but then the incentive for good service goes down.

HAL Nieuw Amsterdam 7/97
Sea Princess 10/01
NCL Norwegian Wind 2/04
Caribbean Princess 9/04
Old March 11th, 2004, 01:28 AM
Passenger

The Officers are all on salary so I wouldn't have thought they would get any tips at all. You would then have to find out the ratio of Officers to service staff on the ship to work out their share of the tip pool as in the above post.
Old March 19th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to 3FOB5Paradise

The only people who really get the tips are supposed to be your steward, bar and waitstaff, plus optional tips to maitre'd and assistant maitre'd.
Now Carnival Paradise for instance:
double occupancy: 920 crew, 2052 pax. lets say that 2/3 of the staff is tipped.
607 crew, 2052 pax.
10*7 for a 7 day cruise
$70 per person per cruise
divided by 607
$236 average
some willget more some less, may be a greater amount of tipped staff.
And considering they depend on the tips for a lot of their income its important.

Old April 1st, 2004, 09:29 AM
Denys

I sure hope there are more than 4 staffmembers for 3000 passengers.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 07:32 AM
Admiral

I don't think thes folks are getting "rich" from their tips. They work very hard and are away from their families for 6 months at a time.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old June 11th, 2004, 01:54 AM
bravemom

I can tell you how the salon folks make their money-and it's not via their salary. I recently had the opportunity to talk to a Lic. Massage Therapist whose wife was one as well. They had looked into several Cruise Line Jobs (young, no kids-thought it would be an interesting way to spend a year or two of thier careers). They were very saddened to learn that they would be paid a very low wage because they would have the "opportunity to earn far more" selling the spa products on board. Both felt that while if they were asked by a passenger to reccommend a type of product they would be willing to give an opinion, but neither felt it ethical to give a sales presentation mid massage to a client.
Old June 13th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Passenger

An example of the room stewards tips if his area is totally booked and everyone pays.
15 rooms= 30 people
30 people at 3.50 (auto tipping amount)= $105 per day
105 for seven days= $735
735 for 48 weeks=$35,280
Old August 16th, 2004, 06:41 PM
JaneMarlow

The key word dar is "if everyone pays"....too many cheapies do not.
Old August 17th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Yeoman

Also, many stewards split their tips with helpers.
Old August 17th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Bruce Chafkin

Something to consider:

Over the past 20 years the average gratuity - industry-wide, has dropped from an average $19.75 per guest per day to an average $9.75 per guest per day. At the same time, the crew are receiving the same pay today that they did 20 years ago; about $1 per day plus tips.
That translates to a net 50% lower salary over 20 years!!!

Over the past several years, as cruising prices have dropped and the middle classes have taken over cruising, as many as 30% of the guests tipped nothing on a typical 7 day cruise.
This takes another huge bite out of the monthly salaries for the crew.

This is one of the primary reasons why the Mass Market Cruise Lines instituted Auto-tipping. They hoped that this program would reduce the number of guests walking away without tipping - and increase the salaries for their crew. Many cruise line companies are struggling to keep quality service staff. Cutting their salaries by over 50% is probably not the best way to do it. Auto-tipping and tip pooling are two ways that at least stop some of the bleeding and hopefully retain good crew longer.
Old August 18th, 2004, 03:47 AM
pg

Excuse me, but on the Cruiseline empolyment sites it does not say they earn a dollar a day. Baloney.
Old August 18th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: tipping makes staff rich?

Provide a URL to a page that says what you claim.

The cruise line employment sites I've visited don't say how much salary their clients get, nor make any indication of how much is salary vs. gratuities. (I've even seen one site that discusses gratuities as if they're salary -- which shows you how much they know!) Those sites are agencies, looking for you to subscribe. They are in the business of selling a bill-of-goods to people who want a job. They're not Monster.com of the seas!

What I do know is that the President of Carnival asked one of his stewards how much she made, right on camera, and she answered that she and her helpers split a total of about $4000 per month. Assuming she gets the lion's share of that, she probably makes about $30K per year (figuring she works a 220 day-year, like the rest of us).
Old August 18th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Chip

Here an other Cheapy form europe!

Yes I hate this tipping bul*hit, makes you guys feel good doing something for the poor!

First thing I do when I enter a cruise ship is going to the credit desk and block all automatic service charges (put it to $0,- ) and at the end of the cruise I don't give more than $20,- tips, to those who I like to put in the light. If they dont like there work, the sould quit, nobody ask them to work on a ship.

To bad for there families..... be realistic if you start with one person feed the whole country, I hate that "democratic" thinking

Have a great cruise and stop winening about the tipping bul*hit, pay from your heart
and not to feel good or a cheapy !
Old August 18th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: tipping makes staff rich?

"To bad for there families"

You're a credit to the Netherlands.
Old August 27th, 2004, 06:14 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to cruiseaddict

Cruises are an incredible bargain compared to other vacations, which is why I leave for my 19th one in 8 years next week.

In my years of crusing, I have met and made friends with many cruise staff, have remained in touch with several and even went to visit the family of one in Barbados for a week.

The people working there work 12 hrs a day 7 days a week on average and they are thousands of miles from family and have to put up with spoiled tourists who leave their manners and brains at the ganagway. They have feelings just like anyone else and it is a hard job. Overall they do not get rich working on ships.

Think about it this way: Don't you think thre would be more young Americans working on ships if there were a way to earn lots of $ and cruise for free? It's not that way at all and so Americans don't work there. Very few Canadians either. The work is too hard and the $ too little to be worth it to North Americans. If they do work on ships, it is usually for the "experience" of the spa/gym, cruise director staff or dancers, who can't earn $ on land, either.

Don't be cheap!! Tip out the ying yang--its these people who make crusing so great for us!