Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2004, 03:23 AM
Passenger

Default TIP CALCULATOR

For those of you who are not quite sure how the whole tipping goes on your cruise. I would recommend taking a look at this cruise tip calculator that autmatically figures your tips. All you do is enter your # of days...how many adults and kids and choose the cruise line and VIOLA! the calculation is done for you. Here the link is

http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/

TyingtheKnot

Post Edited (03-13-04 03:26)

Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Sunshine427

Default Re: TIP CALCULATOR

This is my first time cruising. I checked out theTip Calculator & that's great. Are those the only people I will need to tip on the ship??? I don't want to miss anyone. Also, do you have to sign up for the "Automatic Gratiuty" or can I pay on my own??? Tip the last night? Thanks
Old March 15th, 2004, 02:22 AM
Passenger

What cruise line are you going through? It depends on what cruise line.

TK

Old April 4th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Sunshine427

Carnival Legend.
Old April 6th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Admiral

On Carnival they will charge $10 per person per day on your account for tips. It breaks down to $3.50 pp/pd for the waiter, $3.50 pp/pd for the room steward, $2.00 pp/pd for the assistant waiter and $1.00 pp/pd for the Maitre 'D.

All your bar drinks will be charged an additional 15% for each drink you order and it gets charged to your account automatically. You don't need to tip the bartenders anymore, although some do to get recognized by the bartenders so they get quicker service. The porters who take your bags should be tipped $1 or $2 per bag in cash when you unload at the dock. If you get a massage, or other spa services a tip of $10 is normal. If you order room service tip the person who delivers your food $2 or so.

Let's see, did I leave out anybody?

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 18th, 2004, 10:26 AM
Big Apple

Default Re: Re: TIP CALCULATOR

Right on as to who gets what and the amts.however am not tipping Maitre d unless some done special by this person.Would suggest a tip to head waiter if something done as special desert.
Old April 28th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Passenger

Here's a better tip calculator - DON'T.

The cost of your cruise already covers the cost of the services you're tipping for.

When you tip, you're ensuring that the cruise line will always pay these people a depressed wage. By guilting you into tipping, you are subsidizing their payroll.

Go ahead and reward exceptional service. But start demanding the cruise lines TIP YOU 15%, when their services don't meet basic, standard levels of performance. Enough people do this and then cruise lines will start providing consistently exceptional service as the norm, instead of hit and miss.

Post Edited (04-28-04 15:42)
Old May 12th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Passenger

I went to the tip calculator great site but they have "head waiter " .75 pp per day is this the same person as the maitre d ? stupid question or just confussed. Also is'nt the roomservice 15% added automaticaly? or do you give cash?
Old June 9th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: TIP CALCULATOR

shw351

I don't agree (in part.) The basic cost of your cruise obviously is NOT intended to cover certain services or there wouldn't be a tipping policy in the first place. (Just as the basic fare doesn't cover excursions, spa services, dining options, etc.) Yes, we could demand that the industry discontinue the policy of tipping, but they'd just pass the added payroll expense along by raising the basic cruise price. Bottom line, the cruise line would get theirs and the consumers' expense would be the same. In fact, eliminating the practice of tipping would also eliminate the little control we have in that the price would become fixed, whereas tipping, to some degree, is flexible. I certainly agree that if the service is below par, you should be able to reduce or eliminate the "automatic" tip. By not tipping when those employees whose base pay is under par, you are "punishing" the individual and not the cruise line, whose policy it is in the first place.

As I stated on another post.....we'll be going into our cruise knowing up front what our expenses will be. If we didn't like their policies or if we couldn't afford it, we just wouldn't go in the first place.