Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 15th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Vanisle
Default Anyone else to Tip Out?

Hal will have started its auto tipping when we leave for Alaska . $10.00/day x7x3
I will be keeping it on my account but am wondering who else needs to be tipped out?
There are 3 of us staying in one cabin (.My parents and myself. ) Since it is for their 50 anniversary I am doing the paying and I have to convert my $$ from Canadian to American so that is an extra 30 % right there too. Do we tip extra in the special restaurants?Anywhere else?
Someone said something about a maitre de getting extra.
Also the focus of the cruise isn't all about tips is it?
Thanks fo the info

HAL -Volendam
Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Anyone else to Tip Out?

If you use room service you'll need to tip the deliverer $2 for bringing the food to you. Tip the porter about $1 per bag when he takes it from you. Tip the Maitre 'D only if he does something special for you like rearranging your table or dinner time.

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 17th, 2004, 12:37 AM
Yeoman

this is my personal tipping schedule for hal
cabin attendant 7.00 per day per couple
dining room steward the same as the cabin attendant
asst dining room steward 1/2 the dining room steward
if you use the wine steward on a daily basis 10 to 20 bucks depending on what he does and how ofter
dining room captain -if he puts in a visit and actually participates in the food service and or inquires about your meals 5 to 10 depending on the depth of his duties as it effects you
i always give 5 bucks to the mint guy at the front door to the dining room
when we go in for pre dinner drinks - we go to the same bar every nite and try to get the same wait staff- makes for nice conversation and they will learn your cabin number and your drink so by the 2nd or 3rd nite its like walking into your neighborhood cheers where everyone knows your name i leave 2 bucks per nite
if you are in a suite and use the lounge and depending on what the girls do for you a tip could range from 10 to20
room service -- if the delivery is made by my cabin attendant i dont tip him then but i add 2 bucks to his end of the week tip per delivery- if the delivery is made by a room service waiter then i tip 2. bucks

i realize that there will be posters who agree with my tipping schedule -there will be those who think i am overtipping and there are those who will think i am a cheapskate and last but not least there will be those who insist that you dont tip anyone on a hal cruise

Old March 19th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Yeoman

Oh my goodness, we sure have some tippers here.!!!

Lougee who would dare to call you a "cheapskate" you are like the dream client for anyone in the service industry!!
You tip a mint guy?

I tip the dining room waiter and his assistant, and our cabin steward.
We do NOT tip the maitre'd for coming by the table and saying hello, how silly!! If he actually performs a service( like arranging a special seating for a special occaision ) then of course we would tip( and have ) .
We tip room service ONE dollar for coffee service, 2 for a small meal, 5 for a big order ( like a dinner)
We do not tip the wine steward, we just order what we like and we don't " consult " with him. I am not tipping him for opening our bottle, give me a break , doesn't anything come under their wages? If we used the wine steward ( for advise etc) then I would tip him ( as long as he didn't try and push for us to order the most exspensive bottle) something at the time of service.(2-5 $ depending)

Vanisle, do not worry about tipping everyone, 15 % is automatically added on to your bar bill, so you don't have to tip anyone who brings you a drink( unless you like giving away money) Most tipping is common sence, the main staff is provided for with automatic tipping so it,s just an occaisonal 1 or 2 dollars here and there. Have fun and relax ,

Ps. I think you must live near us if you online name means what I think it does! That American dollar does hurt doesn't it! We have to take a flight out of here at 5:25 am to get to our FLL cruise, we also have to fly out the day before and we are stuck on the mainland for another night on the way back!! Oh the price we have to pay to be in paradise!!
Old March 25th, 2004, 04:36 AM
Kimba

Keep in mind I'm an Aussie and have had little experience with tipping. So don't flame me for asking this....

I am wondering why the extra tip for the room service? Why is this not included in the overall tips and where did it come from ie. who decided that this person needs to be paid seperately to bring a tray of food or coffee?

The reason I ask is when we received our docs we also got a single piece of paper extra to explain about tipping (that in the US ppl tip etc and what was expected of us). So we knew before we went who should get tips but no where did it say anything about having to tip extra for room service. Subsequently, when my partner ordered room service he did not tip as he didn't know it was expected. Now, I know, because I read these boards but others who do not would not know this (unless you were American and used to tipping everyone).

So there must be plenty of ppl not tipping the room service person coz not all passengers hail from the US, although a vast majority do!
I would think there must be a lot of ppl who also don't pay the minimum onboard tips as well, but just don't admit it. Just my thoughts.

Kim