Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2004, 10:58 PM
dee-lynn

Default no tipping

we are home from our first cruise and had a wonderful time. The only complaint I had is with our cabin steward. Having watched the cruise mates religiously for quite some toime now and hearing other stories about how wonderful their cabin stewards were, I have to reluctantly admit that we were very disappointed with ours. First, we did not meet our cabin steward for about five days when WE introduced ourselves to him! Second, we were only given ice on two evenings; the rest of the night , ice was no where to be found. Third, my husband and I searched high and low for our pen and not being able to find it we asked our steward if he might have one we could borrow. He gave us a pen which belonged to us ( he had taken ours) and thirdly on the last day of our cruise we left money in an unsealed envelope for our steward (which was not in plain view) and we returned to our cabin after breakfast our envelope had been rummaged through. This leaves a rather unpleasant memory and as a result, we did not leave a good tip. In fact, we lessened our tip by $5. I am interested in knowing whether anyone else has had any problems of this nature.
Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2004, 06:25 AM
Admiral

Default Re: no tipping

dee-lynn:
I'm curious if you said anything to guest relations about the problems you experienced?

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old April 12th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Admiral

If he is not providing you with ice everyday he is not providing you with the minimal service. Not meeting you in person is a judgement call to some stewards, as some guests want their steward to be invisible. Taking your pen and rummaging through an envelope is just plain wrong and a reduced tip was proper.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 13th, 2004, 07:53 PM
clo

I'm with MaryLou. The kinds of things you described, I think I'd have been talking to someone in a position of authority. That you only reduced the tip qualifies you for sainthood in my book. Even if you didn't report it at the time, you still can. Maybe they'll give you some kind of incentive to cruise with them again I DO hope it won't stop you from future trips. Although we're pretty new to cruising, I think most would agree that what you experienced is far, far from the norm. Good luck.
Old April 14th, 2004, 06:12 AM
Admiral

I would definitely say this experience was far from the norm. Please don't let it sour you on cruising.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old April 17th, 2004, 06:31 PM
gymbrat33

In the summer, when I went on the Glory (It was the Glory's 4th sailing) My room steward threw away all of my Carnival Capers and brochures that I picked up at the ports for my album. When I asked her where they were she said that she threw them away and didn't know that I wanted them. I told her that they were neatly placed on the night table and if I would've wanted them thrown away, I would have placed them in the garbage myself. I then went to the pursers and explained the situation and that they shouldn't be throwing things away.
Old April 18th, 2004, 10:42 AM
dee-lynn

My hubby and I had a wonderful cruise except for the mentioned situation. We really didn't want to get anyone in trouble. we are going to meet with our TA and explain our mishap.
Old April 20th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Luvjoy1948

I guess I was very lucky. I cruised for the first time April 10 on the Holiday. Our room Stewart was outstanding. Couldn't have had better service. I guess we were the lucky ones. Toni

Carnival Ship - Holiday