Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 19th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Admiral

Default Face it... Tipping IS part of a Cruise.....

Face it people. Tipping IS a part of a cruise. Weither you pre pay or tip in an envelope. It is a part of it. It always has been always will be. I just add it to the total cost of my cruise so i know I will have my tip money and my spending money and they it is All budgeted in. I don't see why alot of you people are making such a big deal out on tipping. Don't you tip at a sit down severed resturant in your hometown when you go out to eat? So what the big diffrence? NOTHING and you know it. You just want something to gripe about or maybe you want something for nothing? Either way you should just deal with the fact you NEED to tip.......
Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2004, 05:11 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Face it... Tipping IS part of a Cruise.....

I, too, always budget for my tipping and have it all ready to go before the cruise. Sure makes life a lot easier once onboard.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old April 20th, 2004, 07:11 AM
Yeoman

Very good tips. ;-)
SSaFWs..ED
Old April 28th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Passenger

"I owe ssatterly a public apology for the comment that used to appear here. It was snide and inappropriate. Just because we have a difference of opionion is no reason to make such a comment in a public forum. I'm sorry to ssatterly and other fellow posters whom I might have offended." - SHW351

Wages are depressed BECAUSE you tip.

Left to their own devices, rather than the guilt trip your cruise line has imposed upon you, basic supply and demand would cause wages to rise.

The cost of your cruise INCLUDES the cost of the services you're tipping for. The cruise lines get away with their "prepaid Tipping" policy because you let them. They are charging you twice for the same service.

I'm not saying you shouldn't reward exceptional service, you should. Exceptional service should always be recognized. But signing up for a "prepaid Tipping" is no guarantee that you will get the service you've 'pre-tipped" for. It only guarantees the cruise lines' payroll bottom line.

Post Edited (04-28-04 23:25)
Old April 29th, 2004, 06:05 AM
Admiral

Thank you for shw351 for being a great person and saying your sorry. I do see both siede of the tipping thing, BUT since it is nOT included then I pre pay it so i don't end up spending all my money on other things. But if the service is bad I will remove part of the pre paid tip. I have no problems doing that if needed, as well as giveing more at the end if service was outstanding. (providing I have not spent all my spending money) Have a great day.

Carnival Celebration 94
Carnival Fantsy 96
Old May 3rd, 2004, 06:30 PM
Admiral

I am a college grad I have a degree in Management and I have a certifaction as an EMT. And I do not live in a Trailer I live in a upscale subdivison in my town.

Carnival Celebration 94
Carnival Fantsy 96
Old August 12th, 2004, 02:22 AM
Believer and Cruiser

I think that you should tip for a job well done. I am going on my third cruise. Cruise number one we did not set aside money for tips and gave what we could. Cruise #2 it was included in the price( I like that ). For our next cruise I have been saving change for the last year will cash it in and add to the amount if necessary. This is better for me in that i don't feel like I' m taking money out of my pockect. The next cruise won't be until 06 so I'll have tip money and extra.
Old August 12th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Face it... Tipping IS part of a Cruise.....

No. Wages are what they are because that is the appropriate wages, given the labor market and the way the compensation structure is arranged, for this service.

The cost of a cruise does not include the cost of the services people are supposed to tip for. The cruise fare (for most cruise lines) is set specifically based on the expectation that passengers will tip appropriately.
Old August 12th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Passenger

As an individual brought up in basically a non-tipping country, I have a lot of difficulty with the principle. I accept that it is the practice on cruises and I am happy to not rock the boat. However, I find the thought of handing out envelopes containing money to people utterly repugnant, so I have opted to pre-pay tips on my first cruise coming up next week.

I have travelled widely, in all sorts of different cultures, over many years. I would humbly make the following observations:

from my experience tipping does not improve the standard of service. I have had the best service in situations where tipping is not the norm. I'd much rather be driven by a taxi driver in Sydney than one in New York.

tipping encourages the "me first" attitude. If I tip big, I'll get served better than the other joe at the next table.

a person should be paid for the job they do. If they do it badly, they should be counselled, warned, maybe sacked. If they do it well they should be promoted, praised, given a bonus. Good service comes about from a good work environment where staff are valued, understand their roles and participate in decisions about their workplace.

tipping is an anacronism from the master-servant days.

As I said, I will go along with the customs of the cruising industry because i am not a "rock the boat" sort of person, however I think that we all ought to be thinking about what tipping does to service, relationships and human dignity. In my country, tipping does occur though it is not expected or even the norm. But wages are at a level that assumes there is no tipping and you will get the same level of service, virtually everywhere, whether you tip or not.

I am ready to be flamed!
Old August 12th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Yeoman

Consider yourself flamed. (So much easier than actually going through all the work of flaming.)

Needless to say, many people disagree with you, and feel that service qualtiy is greatly influenced by the discretion they extert via voluntary gratuities. Luckily, for them, the industry agrees with them.
Old August 12th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Admiral

I once worked for tips, and now my servers work for tips. Take it from one who exhibited and now observes behavioral traits of those who live from the gratuities of others.................the better tippers get better service and better service gets better tips.

And that's the reason I prefer the system.

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 12th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Face it... Tipping IS part of a Cruise.....

As I said., I can't speak for cruising as I haven't been on one until next week. Yehaa! I can speak generally and stand by my view.

I recall an incident in the Howard Johnson at Times Square. I was young and had no money then so please forgive my lack of taste!

After a meal, I walked to the desk and paid and added around 18% to the bill. On walking to the door we were barred by the waiter and abused by him in foul language and told we were scum for not leaving a tip. My worst experience in a restaurtant ever. He hadn't seen us add the tip to the bill although he had seen us pay. I was shaking when i came out. If that was a voluntary situation I'll eat my hat.

I consider myself no better than anyone else. I would much rather pay for the service and judge it accordingly. Just as I expect to be paid for what I do.

But the tippers are ultimately backing a loser as it will change as we see now with some cruise lines converting to a "service charge" because human nature is for some people to try to get out of a payment if they can. They cannot avoid the wage for the staff memeber or the service charge, other than by not going on the cruise. And I'll bet that service is no better, no worse when that occurs.

We can do a cruise together Bicker then, and judge!
Old August 12th, 2004, 11:45 PM
pg

...."the better tippers get better service and better service gets better tips"...

Thomas do you really think that is the right way to run a business. I mean in the places I worked you would get FIRED if you didn't give your best effort to any customer.Period.

I tip, as all Canadians do, but it isn't such a ground in mentality , we stress service jobs are about serving others, we give out hospitality rewards, good servers do get better tips, but they also get jobs in better places, and higher wages( and good places have medical and dental plans) . The States pays very low wages to most servers from what I have gleaned from these boards, and from what I've read you can forget about medical , dental , and any other benefits.
Seems like the cruise ships are perpetuating a poor system, and coming out ahead finacially , at the exspence of workers who work for slave wages, and customers who must make up the difference( cause heck we are all decent folks).

I tip , but I don't like the auto tipping since I do feel it makes some workers slack off.
Old August 13th, 2004, 05:27 AM
Yeoman

It's nice to find something to agree with you about, Thomas! However, I'm not sure I agree with everything you said. I'm not sure that the better tippers get better service every time. (Perhaps you didn't mean to imply that.) I suppose it applies for frequent patrons, but for vacationers, I am pretty sure that servers cannot guess that I tip well.

pg: Some of the most seasoned managers in the industry feel that this is the best way to run their business, including the President of Carnival Cruise Line, who said it specifically and rather forcefully, after presented with the typical servers' quandary of being stiffed at the end of a cruise.

It seems to me that you even believe it, based on what you wrote. If auto-tipping causes workers to slack off, as you assert, how can you disagree that tipping incents superior service?
Old August 13th, 2004, 10:55 AM
pg

I expect a good to excellant level of service REGARDLESS of tips. I do like to tip as a way of thanking and acknowledging great service.
Everyone expects that when they order food at a restaurant ( and are paying for it) that the food will in fact arrive at their table, how quickly and how efficently are bonus.
When I dine out with my kids( especially when they were younger) I tipped well because I knew that my kids left extra messes( crumbs under the table, crayons scattered around etc.) that the help would have to clean up , that they normally wouldn't have to deal with.

I would say to the comment regarding Carnivals presidents statement, that it was self serving on his part. His bottom line is the dollar, and anything that saves him from paying a decent wage is going to appeal to him.
Carnival does not selll itself on its " service and attention to detail" it sells itself on the " FUN" factor.

Perhaps it all comes down to beer budgets and champane tastes. Most cruisers on the mass market lines want to be treated like a king/ queen, and expect that for the relatively cheap cruise fare they will be treated like royalty.In that case , I guess they should feel free to tip " extra".
I personally do not have the same expectations, I am happy to have the towels changed and the bed made once a day, I have seen posters complain that there cabin was only made up once a day, geesh, does there maid turn down their beds at home?

Even if I didn't tip( WHICH, I do) I would expect the basic service for which I paid. The help shouldn't have to go the extra mile for non tippers, but they should do the required amount, ( make bed and change towels, or bring ordered food to table). AND they should get a decent wage for doing so. Tips should be the " gravy" for the good workers, not the " meat"!
Old August 13th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Yeoman

> I would say to the comment regarding Carnivals
> presidents statement, that it was self serving on
> his part. His bottom line is the dollar, and anything
> that saves him from paying a decent wage is going
> to appeal to him.

It is true that he's interesting in the long-term growth of his company. Yet for his company it doesn't really make a bottom-line difference, except with regard to how the two approaches affect your perception of the quality of service you receive as a passenger. He could either have you tip his people, or he could charge you more and he could pay them. No different, on the surface, from his point of view. If he thought he could make more money by charging you a higher fare instead of having you tip, he would do it. He's an expert in the industry. A very smart guy, incidently, from what I can see. And he disagrees with you. He feels stongly that it is better this way. (Incidently, some other experts in the industry agree with you. Of course, they're not #1.)

> Carnival does not selll itself on its " service and
> attention to detail" it sells itself on the " FUN" factor.

Not any more. Carnival is very much concerned about service quality.

> Perhaps it all comes down to beer budgets and
> champane tastes. Most cruisers on the mass
> market lines want to be treated like a king/ queen,
> and expect that for the relatively cheap cruise fare
> they will be treated like royalty.

Unreasonable expectation is a very big issue, in any customer-facing industry. I believe we're currently discussing that on one of these boards...
Old September 1st, 2004, 10:27 AM
cantw82cruz

Of course Carnival's president feels it's better this way. He does not want to add tips to the cost of the cruise because then the cruise prices would appear higher. They simply want to be able to advertise low prices and then hit you with the *gratuities*. I don't believe for a minute that they think we get better service with the current tipping system, it is self serving for the cruiseline
Old September 1st, 2004, 04:42 PM
Yeoman

I'm sure we get better service this way. Why should anyone try to impress me with their service to me, if all they need to do to excel is impress their boss.