Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 4th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Sandy Field

Default tips

I do not want the tips to be taken from my card. Can I figure how much the tips would be and just say here is the money for my tips. If I feel that someone has done an extra great job I will tip them more in person. Anyone know if I can do this????
Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:38 PM
SLS

Default Re: tips

It's easier to just leave the tips on the card and then just give extra cash if you feel anyone deserves it.
Old May 4th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Passenger

The reason I wanted to pay up front for the tips is because I read that your bill is very confusing when they add on your tips daily. Any suggestions????
Old May 4th, 2004, 07:00 PM
SLS

Carnival puts all the tips on at once in the beginning.
Old May 5th, 2004, 04:54 AM
Admiral

You can contact Guest Relations and tell them NOT to put the tips on your credit card. I prefer to give my tips in cash to each individual person. on the last night of the cruise. I always take my tip money "all ready to go" and keep it in the safe..that way you are not scrambling on the last night to come up with enough cash.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old May 5th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Passenger

If we take our tips off at the beginning of the cruise do you think they tell everyone we might not tip?
Old May 5th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Admiral

From Carnival brochure:

stateroom services: $3.60 per guest, per day
dining room team $5.50 per guest per day
alternative dining service and incentives for dining staff: $0.90 per guest per day.

Totals up to $10 per guest, per day. Unless you are going to tip under the recommended amount (and actually, even if you are - you can adjust the $10 per day to any amount you prefer), I prefer leaving it on my sign and sail. It makes it incredibly easy. No envelopes, no chasing down the staff.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 22nd, 2004, 03:14 PM
McCall

When you take the tips off your bill and hand them out they must be turned in. If you took them off your bill they will be split up. if you left them on your bill and gave more, the person you gave the MORE too gets it back.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 01:31 AM
Ellen Kelly

Is it necessary and expected to tip shore excursion drivers and guides? What about private drivers/guides? Thank you. We are sailing on Star Princess 7/27
Old July 2nd, 2004, 09:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, it is customary to tip guides/drivers IF you think they earned it. The only time I didn't give a tour guide a tip was in San Juan. We were in a van with people that spoke Spanish, so she had to use both English and Spanish. About 1/4 through the tour she all but stopped using English. We would get, "And that's the Court House." Then she would talk for about 5 minutes in Spanish! I tipped the driver, but not her. Most tour guides/drivers will be standing at the door as you get off the bus allowing you to tip them if you want. As for private guides/drivers, yes... tip them, too. The only time I've been told that a tip was not appropriate was by the owner/operator of a fishing boat I chartered. He said, "You already paid me, but feel free to tip my deckhand."
Old July 2nd, 2004, 10:11 AM
McCall

Default Re: Re: tips

They will not "tell everyone" but the list of who has removed them is there for the crew to see should they ask, I have personally seen them do so.

When tips are removed, then anything you tip in person must be turned in and pooled,
If you leave the tips on the account and tip extra then it is turned in but is returned when they see you did not remove tips.

Why should a 10 pp per day service charge on your bill cause confusion when you know it will be there?
Old July 2nd, 2004, 04:47 PM
Ellen Kelly

Thanks for advice about tipping drivers and guides. One more question - what percentage is appropriate or how much do you recommend. Sorry for the specific questions but my daughter and I are travelling on our first trip alone since my husband passed away 3 months ago. He handled all of these things and I want to do the right thing.
Old July 3rd, 2004, 07:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Ellen... I understand perfectly. I've been traveling with MY mother since my dad passed away 8 years ago. I hope you and your daughter enjoy it as much as my mom and I do. The first trip was a bit emotional for both of us, but it brought us closer than ever. My dad had always taken care of tipping, etc., too... so when we cruised the first time we were both in the dark. I've learned a lot since then and I'm the one now that takes care of most of this stuff. We've been on 12 cruises together and have the next three planned right now! This month we're doing Rome to Venice, January will be the Mexican Riviera and next July we'll go to Scandinavia. Be careful... it's addicting!

As for tipping here's what *we* do, if we're wrong, I'm sure someone will tell us... (wink, wink).

For tour bus trips off the ship we tip around $3 - $5 each, for smaller minibus tours we'll give a little more if the guide/driver made it personal (in other words, talked to us and not gave just a memorized talk). Cabs/taxi... from the port to in town $1 - $2 each. Porters/luggage handlers $5 for our 2 large (heavy!) bags and sometimes a carryon. Shuttle bus drivers $1 each (they usually have a container for tips out). For "water" excursions like snorkeling 15-20% to be divided by the crew.

We each bring about $25 in ones for tipping on the way to and from the ship (cabs, porters, shuttles etc.). On excursions (we don't do these much anymore) we'd carry several $5 bills and some $1's for tipping. We've gotten away from the excursions and tend to just wander around the port, maybe get lunch ashore and then head back to the ship for a quiet afternoon. I might take an excursion by myself now and then, although that doesn't always pay off for me in the end, if you know what I mean.

Hope you and your daughter have a wonderful trip... and my condolences on the loss of your husband.

Where are you cruising to??
Old July 4th, 2004, 01:13 AM
Ellen Kelly

Stacy: You are an angel! Thank you so much for your kind post. We are cruising to the Mediterranean also - Barcelona to Venice - on the Star Princess, July 27-Aug 8. We have cruised 4 times in the past: twice to Carribbean, once each to Bermuda and Canada/Nova Scotia. We love it and are looking forward to this trip. I'm sure it will be emotional for us but this is a tough time right now. My daughter is off to Georgetown in the fall and who knows if she will be interested in travelling with me like this again. You and your mother are unique in that. You sound like a very special lady. God bless you.
Old July 4th, 2004, 06:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

Ellen, look out the window over the Atlantic... I'll be waving to you! We fly home on the 26th, you must be flying to Barcelona that day. I hope you have a good time and I'm sure your daughter will want to cruise with you again. It sounds like you're closer to my age than my mom's age if you have a kid going off to school. Even if she doesn't want to go again at this point in her life, she will later...

My mom and I went on a 12 day cruise (So. America around the Horn) and I got a grand total of 20 minutes alone when I took a book back to the library. Other than that, we were attached at the hip. Be sure to get some separate time during the cruise.

We should stay in touch!

Stacy
Old July 4th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Ellen Kelly

Hi Stacy: Are we allowed to give out our e-mail addresses on this site? If so, mine is:TKell128@aol.com I would love to continue chatting with you and this doesn't seem like the appropriate place to do it.