Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: 10 Dollars a Day Per Person?

There are 10 in my group... 3 teens staying in my room... 2 are my neices... I am assuming that they will be paying the $10 per day.... altough they are not my kids and it is not my $$$. I certainly will encourage proper tipping, and hopefully they will have saved enough to allow for it.

Let me put it this way...

I don't know what you financial situation is (nor am I asking!!!). Try to think of it this way... You make maybe $7 or $8 an hour at a part time job after school. You are presented with the opportunity to go on a cruise that is going to cost you a minimum of $1000 including excursions and transportation ect. Now lets say, you save all you can and have just enough to go. Are you not going to go, because you may not be able to tip the Matre D' at the end of the trip, OR.. are you going to tip the bartender for every glass of Coca-cola that is already overpriced, even if that may mean that you won't have enough $$$ for an excursion that you have been looking forward to???

I am only using this as an example.... It would be the same for a hardworking guy who makes minimum wage and wants to take his wife on a cruise for their 25th anniversary, or his family on a well deserved vacation.

I wasn't trying to offend anyone... I just thought that the people who are calling others cheapskates should try to look at things from a different point of view and realize that for some people it is hard enough to save for the trip, nevermind all of the tips that you are "expected" to dish out.

What would you do if you were in a similar situation??? Would you not go???

Carnival Inspiration Feb 19, 2005
Old October 9th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: 10 Dollars a Day Per Person?

Yes: If I couldn't comply with the expectations for covering the cost-of-service that I will be partaking, then I wouldn't go on the cruise. However, that's bicker-the-adult talking (writing/whatever <grin>). bicker-the-teenager probably wouldn't have thought through the moral and ethical ramifications as critically.

Old October 9th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

... I think you are beginning to see the point.

Here is antother "what if" for you...

What if the family man as mentioned in my last post... and you entered some free raffle... Somehow your name got drawn and you won the cruise, transport etc.... But you just couldn't afford the tips??? Can you honestly tell me that you would pass up the opportunity?

I honestly don't think I could!!
Old October 9th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Admiral

The "tips" for your drinks are included in the price, so you don't have to worry about that one.

Would I go if I couldn't afford the tips? Nope! You are talking $70 - $10 per day. If I didn't have $70 in my checking account to spare (or for some of you on a credit card) then I have NO BUSINESS going on a cruise and need to be home fixing my dire financial situation.

I would understand this conversation a little more if we were talking hundreds and hundreds of dollars for tipping, but we aren't. Even with a family of 4, say, you are talking $280.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old October 9th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Yeoman

bicker-the-adult would surely turn down an "award" for which I was expected to pay out of my own pocket more money than I could afford (for taxes -- I believe most award winners have to pay taxes on their award -- or gratuities or anything else).

Old October 12th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Poor people who can not afford to tip or who have teenagers should stay home.. OM
Old October 16th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

There was a story on a local news show (Boston Area) this week about tipping. The Seaport Hotel in Boston, has adopted a NO TIPPING policy!! You may think that the prices were raised to make up the difference, that wasn't mentioned in the story so I am not sure if that is the case, but I looked at thier web page and found out that guests under 17 stay free with parents. So I guess the management of this upscale hotel doesn't agree that people with teens should "just stay home".

I can't imagine that this is the only hotel in tha country that is trying out this policy.

Carnival Inspiration Feb 19, 2005
Old October 18th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Passenger

I'll be sailing with Carnival from a Saturday to a Thursday. We are to arrive back in port at 8AM Thursday. Question is: Will I be charged $10.00 for Thurday too? I have no problem.. I just want to get my affairs in order. Thanks!!!

Old October 18th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Yeoman

Cruises are measured in nights but the duration is expressed in "days" -- not sure why that is the case. So a seven-day cruise is really a seven-night cruise (so is stretches over eight days, but only six full days plus two partial days), and the gratuities are based on seven times the $10 amount.

Old October 18th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: 10 Dollars a Day Per Person?

Okay. I've been running around like a chicken with my head cut off doing this and that getting ready for the big day. ! I'm a little brain dead and didn't quite understand what you meant. So.. I will be sleeping 5 nights on the ship and I will leave the morning of the 6th day. So is it $50 or $60? Thank you!

Old October 18th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: 10 Dollars a Day Per Person?

$50, T.

Old October 18th, 2004, 09:54 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 10 Dollars a Day Per Person?

TY! :-D

Old October 19th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Admiral

It's easy - if you booked a 5 day cruise, it's $50 - if you booked a 6 day cruise it's $60. No need to worry over days and nights.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old October 19th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

If you use auto-tipping they will take all of the money that they want and you won't have to worry about it.. It's just lovey.. What a great system.. No stiffs.. Fork it over.. Everone is happy..OM
Old February 1st, 2005, 12:11 PM
sabrina

Nat,
As first-time cruisers, my traveling companion and I share your feelings. The little things can add up, especially if you're trying to vacation on a tight budget. I'm guessing some people on these message boards have more disposable income than others. But I plan to make tip envelopes before I go, so it's taken care of...
Old February 9th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Terri Honeycutt

At what point do I tell the cruise staff that I want to pay my tips as I go or that I do not want my tips automatically charged to my sign and sail?
Old February 19th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

I know I will NOT be in the dining room on formal night,,,, why would i want to pay $6 for a waiter I didn't have???? Wish I had known alot more before my Princess cruise. When you pay $2500 for a room for two for a week, oh I think Princess can afford to pay their employees
Old February 19th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

CherieB, Even if you do not go to the dining room on formal night you still owe the waiter his tips for the evening.. He showed up to wait on you and is in need of his tips.. So why don't you get dressed up, go to the formal, and enjoy your meal.. You are required to tip anyway.. After you cruise a few times you'll understand how the tipping system works and you will enjoy your cruise a lot more.. OM
Old February 20th, 2005, 02:58 AM
pg

Wow Cherie . you obvioulsy got a mini suite for that price. We'd love to get one, but then we don't have as much money as you must, plus, we tip.
Old February 20th, 2005, 03:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

OH believe me, Princess got ALL their tip money even tho we did not eat in their dining rooms & we were stupid enough to buy a soda card, their expensive insurance...no, just a reg balcony room so I guess Princess took an advantage of another couple. Yep, we gave our steward another big tip on the last day. PG if you like I can send you a copy of my bill, I can prove I paid all my tips an gratuities & 15%s. NO I do not pretend to be something I'm not, I'm the average joe that wanted to take a cruise. OLD MAN since you know it all, please do tell me how it all works, I won't read it but you can type all you want Me not showing up saved him alot of work, he should be grateful he didn't have to work so hard to please another perfect person.
Old February 20th, 2005, 11:12 AM
pg

Why oh earth did you give your steward another big tip if you already seemed to feel resentful of the tips that were deducted? HUH? I don't give extra, but then we aren't made of money either.

As for Princess taking advantage of you, how silly, any grown up knows that you shop around for the best price, didn't your travel agent suggest that? Or may be it was your Travel agent that took advantage of you. Or perhaps you didn't surf the net for the best price, if so, you can only blame yourself.

I never said anything about not believing you, what is that about?
The fact of the matter is that tips are 10 dollars a day per person. The only other addition is drinks( they add 15%) and room service ( you give a buck or two) .

The amount we are talking about is not that much, 70 dollars a week for one person, I bet your bar bill was higher then that!

You really seem to have a negative additude towards cruising, and any advise or opinions that don't suit you( what you said to another poster) , didn't you have a good time? If you did have a good time wasn't it worth it? If you didn't have a good time I 'm sorry for you, I love cruising and it is one of the truly relaxing things that I can think of doing.
Old March 14th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Passenger

I don't think that $10.00 a day divided amongst several people is that bad either, but I can also understand that if someone receives poor service they may not want to tip the required amount.

No matter where I am I tip based on service...not a standard 15% or a reccomended %.

If someones livelihood is from their tips they should work toward receiving them. If I do substandard work at my job I don't get a raise.
Old March 31st, 2005, 10:27 PM
First Mate

I have booked a RCL cruise to Alaska in September. I have never had a problem with the $10 a day pp, but do wonder if paying up front impacts service because there is nothing to work for, and the employees know who have prepaid. If I'm not mistaken, I believe RCL is charging more than $10 a day now, or at least listing more as recommended on their web page. When I calculated their tips, I remember being skocked and thinking I'll not prepay that -- $10 is adequate.
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Adrian

I was horrified when I found out about this policy. For a family of 4 that adds a completely unexpected $300 to our cruise costs. I don't begrudge anyone a decent tip and I have heard the service is wonderful, but $35 a day - sheesh! That's some pretty generous tipping. And if you figure each person waits on a number of families each day and receives a portion from each, that isn't a tip, that is their SALARY!

I think the cruise lines discount the cruise price as low as they can and then tack on these "extras" after the fact to make up the difference. I am still totally excited about our cruise, but finding out about these unexpected costs has taken the shine off it a bit.

Adrian Gentilcore
Norweigan Star 4/22/05
Old April 4th, 2005, 05:09 PM
gerif

Adrian - can't believe you booked a cruise without giving a thought to tipping. If you were on a land-based vacation and ate three meals a day in a restaurant, wouldn't you be tipping for that? Probably quite a bit more than $3.50 per day each (that's little more than $1 per meal). Yes, for these people (cabin stewards, waiters, etc.) this really IS their salary - most get only about $50 per MONTH from the cruiseline and, like waiters and waitresses in restaurants, depend on these tips.

Some of the upscale cruise lines do include tips in the price of the cruise - BUT, you probably couldn't afford them.
Old April 5th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Adrian

Default Re: Re: Re: 10 Dollars a Day Per Person?

>>Some of the upscale cruise lines do include tips in the price of the cruise - BUT, you probably couldn't afford them.<< MEOW!!! That's a little catty, isn't it?

>>Adrian - can't believe you booked a cruise without giving a thought to tipping. If you were on a land-based vacation and ate three meals a day in a restaurant, wouldn't you be tipping for that? Probably quite a bit more than $3.50 per day each (that's little more than $1 per meal). Yes, for these people (cabin stewards, waiters, etc.) this really IS their salary - most get only about $50 per MONTH from the cruiseline and, like waiters and waitresses in restaurants, depend on these tips.<<

I'm not saying that I hadn't given ANY thought to tips. In fact, we had been asking our friends what was appropriate and had planned to provide nice tips at the end of the cruise for our support staff. I had even been planning to stamp some nice hand made cards to give with the tips. I was just really annoyed that the cruise line stuck this "service fee" down in the fine print instead of just including it in the price of the cruise.

I'm not going to apologize for being a hard working family on a budget. We're as entitled to go on a cruise as anyone else and there's nothing wrong with being careful of our money. Like I said, I don't begrudge anyone a decent tip, but an extra $300 tacked on to the price of the cruise means $300 less for us for spending money and excursions that we had planned. Also, one of the advantages of going on a cruise is that almost everything is prepaid and included in the price of the cruise.

Thanks!

Adrian
Old April 14th, 2005, 12:50 PM
lmreddin

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: 10 Dollars a Day Per Person?

I am one of those hard-working people who saves up money to cruise. I am not thrilled either that these cruise lines are taking in so much money, and paying their employees so poorly. And it is because of all the people who are so willing to pay these tips.

I worked as a maid in a hotel in the past. Believe me it is a rare customer who thinks of leaving a tip for the cleaning staff. Also, who says some jobs are worth tips and some are not? All these years I have worked in clerical positions. Now if that's not waiting on people, then I don't know what is. Do you suppose I have ever received one tip in 25 years?

If you have more money than I do, then that's fine. Maybe you deserve it. But try to be a little understanding of those who don't have as much to throw around. I probably need my vacations more than you do..
Old April 17th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Honeybear

Test ... sorry

the SENSATION

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."
Old May 2nd, 2005, 02:44 PM
Kari

I have to say, that I have been a "waitress" many times in my life. So I am ok with tipping though I did not think about it for the cruise either I guess I assumed they got paid out of what my cruise cost was???? I am also a person who has been saving for years and a family of four, all of our vacations consited of camping, we haven't done the hotel thing much at all, if I were to guess maybe 10-15 times throughout the kids growing up.

I am a tipper when we go to that sort of eatery, but as someone else said above I tip on service not because I am supposed! If the server was awful, well then my tip reflects that, as did the tips I recieved. I have all my tips saved for our cruise and thankfully I will be HANDING them out and they will get all if they deserve it and less if thats what they give in service. Like I said I have been in that situation myself and I now have a decent career as does my husband, but working in that field, you can not and should not bank your life off of tips!!! For years both my husband and I worked 2 jobs each you do what you have to do to live the life you want. Just my opinion!!! and I can't wait to go, the tips are not holding me back now!!!

kari
Old May 2nd, 2005, 03:57 PM
Bruce Chafkin

Adrian,

You are surprised that cruise lines pay so little to their crew and force the public to essentially pay their salaries. A few others have been surprised as well. But you must realize that this practice has been commonplace on nearly every ship in the world for the past hundred years or so. This is not news.
It was popularized by the American multi-millionaire J.P. Morgan when he purchased the White Star Line in 1909 as they were building the Titanic.

25 years ago when I was a waiter at Royal Viking Line (the greatest and most elegant cruise company of that time), a standard 7-day cruise averaged about $6,000 per person and the average tip paid was nearly $20 per person per day.

I suspect that you are paying far less than $6,000 per person for your cruise - and probably getting as much or more than Royal Viking offered 25 years ago. You are also tipping far less than I received 25 years ago, but receiving reasonably good service from staff whose salaries have been cut by more than 50%.

Will this century-old tipping practice change appreciably over the next 50 years? No.
Will your protests or arguments make any difference? No.
Can a good Indonesian waiter earn more money at home than on a cruise ship? Yes.
Will the cruise lines continue to lose their best service staff because the passengers are too cheap to properly tip them? Yes.
Will service levels on cruise ships continue to deteriorate as the better service staff find better-paying jobs elsewhere? Yes.