Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Nat

Default 10 Dollars a Day Per Person?

I was suprised to learn that on my upcoming cruise with NCL, that they automatically deduct $10 per person per day and that a 15% gratuity will also be deducted for trips to the bar. I find that really steep. (Maybe that's just the voice of a first-time cruiser) Is this expensive? And is it like that on other cruise lines?
Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: 10 Dollars a Day Per Person?

Yes it is like that on other cruise lines. We have always tipped the recommended amount and usually tip more. We have always received fantastic service and have found the staff usually go above and beyond to make sure you have a fantastic vacation. However, if you do receive sub-standard service you can go to the purser's desk and have the tips adjusted accordingly. Hope this helps.
Old May 14th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Admiral

A 15% bar tip is high? Not in my book.

Remember, the $10 per day isn't just for one person, it's for 3 folks in the dining room, your room steward, etc.

As others have said, you can adjust the $10 per day if you feel the service wasn't good.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old May 14th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Nat

I want to clarify. I don't think that 15% is too much. I just feel that with the price of the cruise, the 10 dollars a day PLUS the added gratuity, the cost of this trip is getting hefty. I'm not complaining though! I'm much too excited to complain!!!
Old May 16th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Admiral

Nat,
If you're like most folks, you'll leave the ship thinking you got *quite* the bargain! Most of the time, the service is so amazing that you don't mind the tipping.

Have a great cruise!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old May 19th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Passenger

Remember people that you can have ALL tips removed and do it by hand.I find that way more "personal".Shrug.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 03:53 PM
tll

The first time we cruised, I read the tipping policy at the beginning of the cruise and thought that it seemed like a lot. At the end of the cruise, I realized it was very reasonable for the service we received.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 08:22 AM
First Mate

Very reasonable indeed. Wer always wind up tipping more!
Happy sailing,
Sea Angel
Old May 23rd, 2004, 06:11 PM
Admiral

Ten bucks a day for tips is not a lot compared to what you would spend on shore. Enjoy!

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 28th, 2004, 12:52 AM
rob1981

I think its all so important to realize that most of the folks that work on these ships get paid less than $ 10 a day ! your helping them out and the entire family out! One of the guys that died last year on the Norway was only paid $14 a day to work on the boiler. Could you imagine. The service on most crusies are worth way more than $10 a day for all the attention you get, so enjoy your cruise, I am sure after words you will be a pro cruise tiper.. lol
Old June 8th, 2004, 04:34 AM
bravemom

I tend to think that the onboard staff preferred the old ways of being handed a tip personaly. When tips are gathered via auto charging on the passengers tab the cruise line is able to tax the amount the individual receives. Now don't bash me for encouraging tax evasion, I just think that when individuals are paid such small wages to begin with they probably appreciate every extra dollar (vs. the 75cents or less they receive post tax) they can get.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 03:09 PM
McCall

Default Re: Re: 10 Dollars a Day Per Person?

Yeah you can have all tips removed and hand them out personally and then the people you gave them too MUST turn them in to the pool and if you removed the auto tips then they don't get it back, if you did not remove them but gave the person more they will recieve it back again.
This is how it works and they are very strict about it. anyone caught not turning in cash tips will be put off the ship.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 07:04 PM
Jane Marlow

When you tip extra do you give it directly to the person? Or just adjust it on the account?
Old June 26th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Passenger

hi i agree with you,i think its out of order i have cruised many times and tips have always been included in the price, i am going on sapphire princess next march for 3 weeks and its going to cost us a fortune in tips.
jayne UK
Old June 27th, 2004, 12:50 AM
Yeoman

the 10 bucks a day is per person -----the main items that come out of that is 3.50 per day room steward- 3.50 per day dining room waiter and 1.75 for the asst dining room waiter == 8.75 and there is usually something set aside for the dining room captain etc etc

Post Edited (06-27-04 00:51)

Old June 27th, 2004, 07:42 AM
sls

On Carnival it's divided as follows:

$3.50 Room Steward
$3.50 Head Waiter
$2.25 Assistant Waiter
$.75 Alternate dining (buffets)
Old June 29th, 2004, 05:52 PM
Jane Marlow

$10.00 per day per person is not a lot to tip. Considering one can cough up a few grand for a trip, a few hundred more to tip those nice people who make a cruise special is not asking much.

15 percent is what many people tip on land for drinks, so it would be no different at sea. Yes, I wish the serving people were payed a living wage by their employers. But they are not, so the clients must make up for it.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 10:16 AM
McCall

Yes it is like that on other cruise lines. YOu do realize that it is 10 per day per passenger, not per person who does anything for you right?
That 10 is split up between serveral people.

If you were staying in a hotel you should be tipping your room cleaners and room service and tipping for all your meals you eat there.

So $10 pp per day is cheap by comparision.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 11:55 AM
Yeoman

McCall
I wonder how many people actually tip their hotel maids. Here a hotel maid can earn between 10 to 17 dollars an hour( if they are in a decent place, if not minimum wage is 8 $ an hour) .
I live in a "tourist" town so that is pretty standard and we have alot of hotels ranging from " family quality" , to luxury.
Many people I know would never order room service in a hotel since we all know how exspensive that is! ( 5 dollars for a glass of juice!)
We obvousily have many different posters on these boards and some seem to have a lot more disposable income then others, taking 3 or 4 cruises a year, while others save for YEARS just to take one cruise for a special occaison, so , perhaps having to save an extra 200 bucks seems like alot to them.some posters are quite flippant about how you should bring a stack of bills to hand out, and give everyone at least 20$ up front, and then tip extra after, blah, blah, blah!
I agree with tipping ( but not up front) but some posters should be a little more understanding , I am getting sick of some of the posters who use words like " cheapskate" and "miserly" so easily without trying to see it from another point of view.

There are some who need to be educated , and the others who have firm no tipping policies, well good luck in trying to change their minds.
Old July 3rd, 2004, 02:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with most of the other replies that $10 per day is not all that much. If you tip within the norms on a land-based vacation, I think you will find that you tip at least that in restaurants and for the room attendant in most hotels. In addition, I have found the service to be a bit above average on a ship and I have not sailed on the "premium" lines. Someone did mention the tax angle, and I agree that having a standard service charge does mean that it is probably taxed as income. However, most ships have foreign personnel and we have no idea how much these people were getting charged to convert their USD into their home currency. It could be worse than the taxes they pay on the set amount.

Old July 3rd, 2004, 10:09 PM
pg

Linda, Believe me they are not willingly getting their "amercian" dollars converted into their home currency!!In most foreign countries they WANT American dollars!
Old July 4th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Yeoman

Housekeeping is one of the very few disciplines within which there is a discrepancy with respect to whether tipping is expected or not (at least in the USA). If you go into a restaurant or take a taxi you know for sure that the server's compensation is wholly dependent on tipping -- that the server may not even be getting minimum wage without tips. Similarly, you know that chefs, security guards, etc., are not tipped personnel. With housekeepers though, it actually DEPENDS. Many national chains pay their housekeepers based on the priniciple that tipping is expected, while still other national chains pay their housekpeers based on the expectation that their salary is their only income. Some require tips to be refused politely, and if that doesn't work to deter the tip, require the tips to be turned into management. (Perfectly legal, folks. Tipping is not required by law, and so if a business pays minimum wage and has a no tipping policy, it's perfectly legal.) Since even national chains differ about this, you can be sure that independents differ as well.

So the only way to know is to ask management at the hotel.

I believe it is very clear that all *cruise ship* housekeepers are compensated primarily by tipping.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 06:42 PM
Jeanine

When I looked at the tip amounts I also thought it was high, then I took in to consideration what I would be tipping if I was on a land vacation eating out three meals a day and having housekeeping service my room daily etc. I realized it really is an appropriate amount. As others have said I factor it into my whole cruise vacation budget. Enjoy your first cruise we are on our first cruise Celebrity August 14. Can't wait.
Old October 1st, 2004, 07:57 AM
Jeapers

Dear Jayne
We also will be on the same cruise next March we have cruised many times and have never had automatic tipping before.
We prefer to tip as and when we feel we have had good service not to people we have never met , or received any type of service from.This is our first Princess cruise and it may be our last. But apparently you can reduce or stop the automatic tipping if you visit the Purser's desk immediately after going on board we are seriously considering this option.
We feel Princess ought to pay their stff a decent salery and not expect passengers to substitute this or put the Cruise's up to reflect the true cost.
Old October 2nd, 2004, 03:02 AM
Bruce Chafkin

Bravemom,

I`m sorry, but you lost me on the taxing issue. You think that the cruise lines want to track the tips in order to tax them? To which government exactly do you think they are paying taxes?
Do you really think that an Indonesian waiter working for a Panamanian company has taxes removed from his salary?
He gets paid in cash, and the income is not reported to anyone.

Service staff on cruise ships are very happy about the compulsory tipping in place these days. Previously as many as 30% of the passengers sneaked away on the last day and tipped nothing. Now it is far more difficult and embarrassing to tip nothing . The staff earns more with the new system and is very happy about it.
Old October 2nd, 2004, 06:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well here is the real answer.. Jeapers, guess what.. All of the cruise lines and going to the $10 per day auto tip system..AND there will be no chance of removal.. No lines at the front desk with people removing their tips.. They will not be removeable... No more stiff, just $10 per day from everyone.. Great system... More money and no stiffs.. I just love it.. So Jeapers, you can not sail Princess if you don't want to, but all of the lines are going to do this and you will have to pay the auto tip way no matter what line you choose... It may take about a year, but they are all going to do it.. OM
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi all,

Here is a link to the tipping policy page of carnivals website. (hopefully it works!! )

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Gratuities_Tips.aspx

I am a first time cruiser and when I first read the tipping policy, I was extremely confused!!! I have since read countless posts and I think I understand most of it. I personally paln on leaving the $10 per day on the bill unless I find the service to be sub-par. Athough I have a feeling that I will probably wind up adding a bit to it at the end of the cruise, judging by what others have posted about the high quality of service on most cruises.

Here are 2 things that still have me confused...

As far as the bartenders, I know that a 15% gratuity is automatically added to beverage purchases. But carnivals website also states that you can tip the bartender more at the time of service, if you feel that it is appropriate to the service received. So my question is... Is it acceptable to just leave the tip at the 15% that is added to the bill, or is it more common to give an additional amount of cash??? I don't want to offend him if he is expecting more!

From the Carnival tipping page.....
((Bar Waiters, Deck Stewards and Bell Boys - Certain personnel, as noted above, may be tipped as service is rendered. A 15% gratuity is automatically added to beverage purchases which the guest may adjust appropriate to the service received. ))

Also... I understand that there will be envelopes provided in the diningroom on the last night of the cruise (or maybe all nights?) in which you can place a cash tip for the matre d'... So, question 2 is... Is it considered rude to not tip him??? Not that I am planning NOT to... I just want to know what the acceptable options are.

Another point that I would like to make is that, normally (on land) I probably wind up tipping a bartender more than 15%, because I usually leave $1 tip per drink, which are on average about $5.25 in my area. On the other hand when I stay at a hotel, I usually leave $5.00 a day for house keeping, and that is for my family of 3, NOT per person, or sometimes 4 if my daughter brings a friend along.

OK... Last point...
This is for all of the people who are throwing around the word cheapskate, among others.

It just so happens that in my stateroom there will be myself and 3 teenaged girls... Believe me.... I have never minded tipping more than the expected amount for good service, and will more than likely do so on this cruise... BUT 2 of these teens in my cabin are paying for this trip with thier own money, they have NO savings and are making weekly payments until the cruise is paid for.... and they still have to save up whatever spending / excursion money they will need to bring. My point being that not everyone on these cruises has lots of cash to throw around, and in fact some people don't have dime to spare.

Post Edited (10-07-04 14:08)

Carnival Inspiration Feb 19, 2005
Old October 9th, 2004, 05:27 AM
Yeoman

I don't believe that lack of resources justifies failing to pay expected gratuities for good service. It's a bit like saying that you paid the cruise deposit, but cannot afford to pay the balance, but the cruise line shouldn't have any problem with you going on the cruise anyway.

Old October 9th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Bicker,

I think your missing the point. I am not saying that they shouldn't (or won't) be tipping. I am just pointing out that not EVERYONE has ALOT of extra $$$ to throw around, and I think that if they are able to scrimp and save for a once in a lifetime chance, they have the same rights to go and enjoy themselves as the people who can afford to take 3 or 4 cruises a year.

I personally think that the cruise lines should add tips into the price of the cruise, to be split fairly among all of the staff (including the Marte D' and Bartenders) who's salary is based mainly on the tips they hope they will be receiving. Then there should be a NO tipping policy, and NO need for message boards like this. This way you would know the total cost up front, and you don't have to stress about offending anyone by not giving a proper tip, because you just don't know who to tip or how much is expected.

BTW, I was a waitress for many years, so I am well aware of what it is like to depend on tips for weeks pay! I am also well aware that, more often than not, the people who have the most money in the bank tend to be the MOST demamding AND the WORST tippers!!

Post Edited (10-09-04 08:29)

Carnival Inspiration Feb 19, 2005
Old October 9th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Yeoman

I'm not sure what you're saying. I said that lack of resources doesn't justify failing to pay expected gratuities for good service. I think you indicated that you (and presumably the rest of your party, including the teenaged girls?) would be paying the expected gratuities. In that case, aren't we in agreement? Did I misunderstand something?