Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Heidict Send a message via MSN to Heidict
Default Should I tip before the cruise starts or wait till the end?

My husband and I are going on our first cruise on the Adventure of the Seas in December. Should we automatically have them add the tip on our sail and sign card at the beginning of the cruise, and then tip additional if we wish, or should we wait till the last night of the cruise and hand them out to everyone?

I just wonder that if we tip at the beginning the cabin steward or waiters may figure "hey we already got our tip from them so we don't have to go out of our way to give them good service or be nice". Then in the end you get bad service, and a bad taste in your mouth for the staff and cruise line.

But if you wait to tip at the end of the cruise, they have somethine to "work" for. (if you know what I mean). Not that we wouldn't tip them. We would only do that if they were down right rude, lazy and incompetent.

So what do you guys thing? Before or after and why? What are your personal experiences?

Adventure of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Should I tip before the cruise starts or wait till the e

I always give the cabin steward a $10 or $20 when we first meet him and ask for a personal favor; extra glasses, cookies each night, coffee delivered in the morning, etc. so he knows we are not going to stiff him and we are going to tip more later if he gives good service. This has been a good tactic in all our cruises except one. In the one case I asked for coffee to be delivered in the morning and he told me to call room service for that. I asked him if he could take care of that for us so we didn't have to bother and consequently have to wait for them. He said I should call room service the night before and request it to be delivered at a certain time.

I said O.K. and snatched the $20 bill out of his hands. He wasn't too pleased with that, of course. I hope he got the message.

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 19th, 2004, 12:10 AM
Admiral

I always tip at the end of the cruise. If you tip at the start, the service is not always
there.

Old June 21st, 2004, 01:44 AM
pg

Tip at the end. If everyone starts tipping a little extra at the beginning then it will be expected and service will decline even more.

BTW, I think that asking the room steward to call room service for you is a bit lazy. They do actually have 10 to 15 rooms to clean, plus other jobs. They work 10 hr days. Why make up extra little tasks for them just to make them jump for your extra 10 or 20 bucks.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 01:14 PM
Admiral

I don't see it as being "lazy" or "making him jump," pg. It's simply establishing a relationship.

I plan on tipping a bit extra at the beginning of the cruise to make sure my needs are met. They are pretty simple needs in the grand scheme of things (as I think are Thomas' - asking for coffee isn't exactly a big deal). I always want clean towels available and my ice bucket filled.

It's really all about establishing that relationship with someone. If you can do that without tipping - go for it!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 23rd, 2004, 12:17 AM
Yeoman

Geez Dorothy Pick up the phone and phone room service your self, it isn't hard. And what " relationship " are you forming with your steward _ me boss, you servent, ?Give me a break,. Clean towels are part of their JOB, so I expect to get those without begging and bribing( AND I always have) .

I DO think asking the steward to phone room service for you is LAZY. And it is just to establish dominance, the poster was quite smug about " snatching his twenty dollars back"
Gosh some people think if you throw enough moeny around you can treat people however you like. The procedure is PHONE room service. What is so difficult about that!
Old June 23rd, 2004, 08:29 AM
Admiral

Dominance, pg? It has been established before you board the ship that the crew and staff are there to serve their customers. I'm not placing someone in a subservient position - I'm acknowledging their job and rewarding them for doing it well.

I wasn't advocating NOT phoning room service, only defending another poster's wish to have his room steward perform that task for him.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 23rd, 2004, 10:03 AM
Yeoman

Dorothy you are beating a dead horse, I do believe that some people just like to play " big man" on cruises, people who could normally not afford servents and therefore are relishing their " relationship" with the employees of the cruise ships.
I repeat, I thought Thomas was very smug about " snatching his twenty dollars back" ( that'll teach that steward to do what he is told) .Thomas had it EVER occured to you that because of language difficulties the steward thought that you didn't understand that the PROCEDURE is that the cruiser phones in the room service order.Or that he just didn't get that you wanted him to do something so easy as pick up a phone( I mean here is a man/woman who works 10 to 14 hour days scrubbing and cleaning , they problay don't think picking up a phone is too hard)

I just don't get some posters on these boards, they go on and on about " the poor third world employees" that work for pennies and hour, and how we must tip them generously , yet on the other hand they seem to enjoy this" Me boss you servent " just a tad more than seemly.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 07:06 PM
Jane Marlow

Default Re: Re: Should I tip before the cruise starts or wait till t

Snatched money from a person's hands? Harsh.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 09:56 PM
Admiral

If there is a dead horse being whipped, pg, you are helping me flog.....but let's not, I *like* horses.

Maybe I'm taking it just a tad too personally because I happen to have actually *met* Thomas and cruised with him. Referring to him as someone who exhibits the "me boss you servant" attitude couldn't be further from the truth.

I know we feel as though we all know each other on the boards, but the fact is, for the most part we merely have a cyber "relationship". (Don't get excited, I used the "R" word again.)

Your judging so harshly is what seems "unseemly" to me.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 24th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Yeoman

Dorothy , Let me repeat Janes post, " Snatched money from a persons hands? Harsh."
Thomas may be a nice person Dorothy, but I do not agree with his tipping policy, and I personally could never" snatch money from a persons hand" just becase they didn't get that I wanted them to do something like order my coffee for me instead of doing it myself.
AS for me judging Thomas so harshly, NO, I think Thomas judged his room steward harshly, as I pointed out, did HE consider that the room steward just didn't get his reequest????

Quite frankly this is not all about Thomas you know, I like some others believe that tipping up front contributes to the overall decline is service. I do consider it bribing someone to perform the tasks for which they are paid. I do agree that tipping is a nessecary part of cruising, and tip the required amount , but not at the beginning of a cruise. If I did have a special request , that was not part of the regular job( ie getting me clean towels IS part of the job, getting me extra towels at 10 pm. is extra)
or WHEN I order room service I tip extra.

I also maintain that some cruisers treat the staff in a disrespectful way.( NO I am not referring specifically to Thomas , just in general).Calling their cabin stewards "boys" when in fact they are 45 yr old men, and complaining about every assinine thing under the sun
Old June 25th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Admiral

Geez, I leave this board and look what happens.

For your information, PG, you'll notice I said I have always received superior service by tipping something (not everything) up front EXCEPT for one time. And I explained the one time. Every other steward had no problem whatsoever taking care of a special favor for us like putting us on room services' list for coffee every morning. It's simple, the steward knows the people in room service and puts our name on their list for coffee.

For your information, PG, the room steward does not have to call room service for us each morning. The room steward does something extra for us or if I have a special request, he/she gets an additional tip. "If I did have a special request , that was not part of the regular job( ie getting me clean towels IS part of the job, getting me extra towels at 10 pm. is extra)
or WHEN I order room service I tip extra....................pg.

Just as you have stated above. Thanks for agreeing with me.

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 25th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Should I tip before the cruise starts or wait ti

Let me get this straight Jane Marlow. You hand somebody a tip and ask them to do something for you and they refuse. You are going to let them keep your tip? Hmmmm.

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 28th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Passenger

About 2 months before our cruise (we haven't gone yet) I paid RCCI the tip for all three of us. I also was concerned about the service I would get when we go on the cruise. When I talked to RCCI they said that although the employee knows who pre-paid tips and who didn't, that we will be treated the same as if we didn't pre-pay. We'll see.

Anyway, I'm glad that's one less expense that I don't have to worry about.

Lisa
Old June 29th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Jane Marlow

Yes, I have more tact than that. I ask for what I want, get the feel of the situation and tip accordingly. It's unseemly beyond words to snatch money back once I have given it. But that is just me.
Old June 30th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Admiral

So you're o.k. with somebody taking your money and doing nothing? So be it.

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 30th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Should I tip before the cruise starts or wait till t

I totally agree with you PG. Having been on many cruises, have never felt the need to establish a "relationship" with my cabin attendant, but then I have never asked for extras and never use room service. Not a coffee drinker! Yes daily ice and fresh towels is a given, and one should never have to ask for these necessities!

I have noticed a decline in service in the dining room since upfront tipping started! The best service I ever had was on the Norway, when the dining room was all Jamaican, and on Princess with the all Italian dining room. Now we have international dining rooms, and the good old days are gone!

Happy Sailing!
Carol
Old August 7th, 2004, 07:14 AM
Michael and Joanne

I don't want the person cleaning my toilet delivering my food.
Old August 7th, 2004, 08:11 AM
sls

They do wear gloves when cleaning the toilets. However, never had my room steward deliver my morning coffee/breakfast.

sls
Old August 27th, 2004, 11:44 PM
Familiar Face

I do have another question about tipping the room steward at the beginning of a cruise. Does the room steward get to keep that extra cash, or does he have to pool it like the tip at the end. We did tip our room steward on our last cruise $20 on the first day and another $10 in the middle and recommended amount at the end of the cruise. Which happened to be a 15 night Panama Canal Cruise. All I can say, he did a wonderful job. I don't know if it was because of the extra cash or he was just great.