Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 11th, 2004, 01:30 AM
terrynemily

Default Tipping

Carnival says anyone over the age of 2 must pay tips either automatically froma sail and sign card or before the cruise sets sail. Does anyone know if there is a way to opt out of these 2 options and do the ole fashion money in an envelope tipping? I said with RCCL 3 years ago and it was done this way and the employees seemed more grateful when you handed them an envelope full of money. We have 3 kids going with us a total of 8 passengers and at the automatic tipping rate of $10 a day per person we will be tipping around $560 for the duration of our cruise....Seems a little steep to me. But I'm a good tipper but I would like to have it under my own personal discretion how much to give to whom.. Any comments or answers would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2004, 08:46 AM
sls

Default Re: Tipping

You can go stand in line at the pursers desk to have the tips removed. Do it before the last day as there is usually a long line then.

sls
Old June 11th, 2004, 11:40 AM
terrynemily

Default Re: Re: Tipping

Is this usually a hassle? Do we have the option to tip the Cabin Steward the head waiter in cash as in the Royal Carribean cruise i went on? Is their a time span in which we must visit the Purser's desk?
Old June 11th, 2004, 02:54 PM
sls

You can remove the automatic tips from your account at the pursers desk anytime up until the morning of disembarking. If you do it early on there will be less waiting in line. Yes you can tip directly. We usually leave the tips on the S&S card so we don't have to carry to much cash. The waiters have always been so good that I end up giving them extra cash directly.

sls
Old June 24th, 2004, 12:11 PM
McCall

you can usually have them removed and tip directly, BUT please be aware that it is a waste of your time.
Any Staff recieving cash tips MUST turn them in. they are recorded, then the cruiseline looks to see if you had tips removed from your account, if you did, then the cash you did leave is apportioned out according to the set standard to the various people who would have recieved it had you NOT taken it off your account. So that Great waiter will get his $3.50 a day pp and no more. IF HOWEVER you LEAVE the tips on your account then give that great waiter MORE in cash, he still turns it in, but then gets it back when they see you did NOT remove the auto tips.

and anyone caught not turning in tips WILL be fired. and believe me crew members WILL tell on each other if they think someone is holding out.