Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2004, 03:37 PM
Passenger

Default tipping on princess cruises

my husband and i have just booked a cruise on the sapphire princess sydney-bangkok for next march and we noticed that the tips are not included in the price we are travelling on a tight budget and was wondering how we go about not paying the tips.
kind regards from the UK.

Post Edited (06-22-04 15:39)
Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2004, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: tipping on princess cruises

Hi Jayne,
I would re-think about taking a cruise if you can't afford to pay the tips. Tipping is a part of cruising, and we always budget for the tips or don't go. Princess does the automatic tipping, so you can simply have them put on your sign/sail card and it will be billed to your credit card, makes not having to bring all that extra cash nice. Believe me, these people work very hard for these tips, it would be awful to go and not tip, just not the thing to do.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 22nd, 2004, 10:41 PM
Kitty cruiser

Default Re: Re: tipping on princess cruises

I agreed with Donna. The room and dining staff work very very hard and $10 per day seems so reasonable. I use to think it was so expensvie but that was before I actually went on the cruise.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 12:01 AM
Yeoman

Jayne, they don't include tips in the price, but they problay should since it is almost mandatory to tip.
It IS in all the brochures, so if you had read them you should know about them( in fact I believe you do, since you've inquired) .
it will be 20$ extra total( for the two of you) per day. So a 20 day cruise is 400 dollars . Considering how strong your pound is in converting to American thats not so bad.

Don't just not tip, they will spit in your food( just kidding, no, may be not)
Old June 23rd, 2004, 07:00 PM
Jane Marlow

I am going on the Sapphire to Mexico and the brochure states that $10.00 per person per day will be added to my account that I must pay upon check out. It also says it can be adjusted lower/higher per day.

Maybe it's different for different sailings.
Old June 24th, 2004, 12:01 PM
McCall

Jane to whom are you replying in the last message? Are you traveling alone? Ten Dollars per day per traveler. So if there are two of you it is $20 a day.
The crew serving you makes there salary from the tips, they are paid almost NOTHING by the cruiseline. TIpping IS an expected part of cruising expense.
as for it being added to your account and paying that account. Most people put down a credit card to cover that account when they board the ship all onboard charges, drinks, soda, purchases, excustions and tips are charged to that card on the last day. You then have whatever time your credit card company gives you to pay it off.
Old June 28th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Horseracer

Tipping practices are not universal, so a discussion such as this might be instructive. Unfortunately these debates trend towards the discussion of what is fair and what isn't, and whose "system" is the best. That is all academic. In this case, Jayne from England has brought up an issue that needs to be resolved within the context of the system of payment as it currently exists.

Passengers are expected to pay the crew in the form of gratuities rather than through a direct charge added to the initial fare. Without tips, the crewmembers involved are little more than indentured servants, working for room and board only. Therefore, going on the cruise with the intention of not tipping at all is unfair to the crew who will be serving you. Whether or not you decide to tip is up to you, Jayne. Now that you understand the system as it is, it is up to you to decide what you believe is the best course of action.
Old June 29th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Jane Marlow

I said per person per day. So $20.00 per cabin, double occupancy, correct?
Old June 29th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Admiral

Hi Jane,
YES, thats correct.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 1st, 2004, 05:36 AM
Passenger

yes it is
Old August 31st, 2004, 06:46 PM
JaneMarlow

Primetime, are you enjoying telling everyone that you like stiffing the staff? Is that your point? Are you bragging that you are cheap and stingy? Is that something to be proud of?
Old September 1st, 2004, 03:55 PM
JaneMarlow

Jayne:

How does a person on a "budget" take a cruise?

I misunderstood your question at first. So you are asking how to not tip? Just don't then.
Old September 9th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Yeoman

If you are on a "tight budget" you might like to try camping. You would not have to tip if you were preparing your meals in the woods. Please reconsider and tip these hard working employees, who make your holiday so enjoyable!

Carol
Old September 9th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: tipping on princess cruises

please can you stop e-mailing me, if anybody has anything to say about tipping please say it on the message board, and for the record all the people in the party have all decided to opt out of automatic tipping and we will just tip who we want to and who we think deserves to be tipped !
Old September 9th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: tipping on princess cruises

Jayne,
When you first posted the first message, you must have checked the box to get e-mail replies to this thread. These posters are not actually e-mailing you, you are getting replies to this, once its checked there is no way to un-check it, so you will continue getting these in your e-mail. In the future if you don't want to see the replies, don't check the box at the bottom.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 20th, 2004, 03:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have seen many messages about tipping and have just read them, I have not replied to them. Thought I would this time.
Like others have said, the crews on these ships work their butts off to make our cruises enjoyable. I have commented many times to my husband that if Americans had to work these cruise ships the service would not be what it is today. On the trips that I have taken, the food staff is almost running to get your meals out to you. Your cabin person is like a ghost getting in and out fast so not to inconvience you, but yet your cabin is always looking nice, and making sure that you have ice for your drinks.
I have been on cruises before and have overheard people talking among themselves that they are not going to tip. When I hear this it make me angry. These people have a good work ethic and take pride in their work to make our vacation pleasant, and by not tipping we are telling them that we don't think of them as being important, that their jobs are not important. Yet if their jobs were done half-way or not timely, you would be the first to complain. I for one thank these people for working hard for me. I do tip because they deserve their tips. People that are ungrateful for the work that the crew members provide should maybe rethink their vacation plans. Maybe going to Colorado to ski or to Florida to lay on the beach would be a better choice. That way you don't have people taking care of you 24/7 and then you wouldn't have to tip as much or at all.
Old February 19th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

I can't believe some of the replies Jayne got here. These are the snobs that ruin cruises. If you can't afford a tip, go camping??? We used to camp all the time, met some very very nice people, had a great time. I did look out of place cooking in the woods in my formal gown from Wal Mart. We have cruised, I will tell you, most campers are much nicer than cruisers. Not everyone is born with the silver spoon in their mouths but would like to take a cruise once in their life time & may have saved 5 years to do it. But I bet they will find camping more enjoyable And ya know, camping isn't as 'cheap' as you may think.
Old February 19th, 2005, 08:32 PM
bjones

My husband and I just went on a cruise and we too were on a tight budget. I was worrying about having enough money for tipping. It was starting to stress me out, but in the end it turned out fine. We chose the automatic tipping option where they just added it to our sea pass. It ended up being 39.00 per person for the length of our cruise which was about $10.00 a day. On the second day of our cruise they passed out a flyer in our stateroom that gave us the option if we registered with our credit card to have the tips automatically taken out....if you don't choose this option they still leave in your room envelopes and on the last dinner you have you can hand your waiter and assistant waiter the envelope with your tip in it.
Your sea pass will add up quickly if you order soda's, or drinks from the bar, but if you can handle drinking water, lemonade, or tea which are free, or when you get off the boat you can shop and pick up soda's or bottled water at a much cheaper price and bring them back to your room to enjoy.....if you can keep your sea pass total down then at the end of your cruise your bill will not be high at all.
I hope this helps, enjoy your trip
Old February 20th, 2005, 01:54 AM
pg

Cherie, we camp and cruise. You can do both. Both are fun( well actually cruising is funner )
As for this baloney that some people put out about cruising on a budget, it is 20 bucks a day( fpr two persons in a cabin) times 7 days( average cruise length) that is 140 dollars.

ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY DOLLARS, some of you "budget cruisers" probaly spend that much on coffee breaks for a month, or the lovely new dress you bought for the cruise. Or may be the two or three bathing suits you bought.

If you choose not to tip, fine, but tell it for what it is , choosing not to tip, not because you can't ( because you are on a budget and poor) but because you don't want to. Your're cheap, and you would rather spend more money on drinks around the pool .

And yes, we can only cruise every four or five years, but trust me , an extra 140 doesn't kill us! PLUS we have to tip in AMERICAN dollars so that 140 that some of you whine about is actually more to us( Canadians) which by the way , means you UK cruisers have an advantage over us and the Americans as your pound is stronger.
Old February 20th, 2005, 02:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, I understand all this but for some........... OMG a CRUISE, something they have dreamed of their whole life......... Cruising can be very expensive. I think some people deserve a break. Not the ones that don't tip cause they are just to cheap to do so, the ones that want this one cruise before they die & are doing the best they can with what they have. My brother talked of taking a cruise, well he died at 50 yrs old of cancer, he will never have his cruise. Some people deserve a break. We have been there, busted our butts to just make ends meet day to day. If a person doesn't have alot but would love to take a short cruise to a world they may never get to enjoy again, let them do so. Hell I wish I could pay their 10 bucks for them. I am not Mrs Doctor with nothing better to do with my money than to take cruises, I am the average Joe. No, I am not going to run up 10 charge cards to take a cruise & most 'average joes' can't afford to pay those bills each month. Instead of people on here calling others cheap a_____ & telling them to stay home or go camping is horrible for not being able to hand out BIG tips like you all have done on your 30 cruises, let them enjoy the only cruise they may ever have. The cruise lines can afford to pay their employees better. With the price of a cruise an they won't even give you a free soda?? sighhhh I am just saying some on here need to chill an come down off of their pedestal they have put themselves on.
Old February 20th, 2005, 10:22 AM
pg

Cherie I am sorry about your brother, but remember his situation was different then others.It is very hard to lose a loved one.

There is something about choices we make in life. I learned this when I was 23. My friend and I saved and did a huge 3 month trip to Europe and Greece. Everyone who heard about our trip said" oh you are so lucky" or " wow I wish I could do that".''Well guess what they could have if they wanted to.

I owned no car( bus or walked) to save money for trip.
I had no tv or decent furniture, just dump stuff, had to save money for trip.
I asked my mom to let me move back home for a few months to save rent, to save money for trip( this was difficult believe me)
I worked at a low paying job, barely above mimum wage, but I saved every penny.l took my lunch from home. I bought my clothes at thrift shops .
I saved enough dough for a trip of a lifetime, no one paid my way!

I wasn't lucky I planned it that way.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 12:32 PM
First Mate

The fact of the matter is, if you cannot afford the customary obligation to tip, then you cannot afford to cruise and should be look ing for another alternative. We all have our limits on what we can afford. IMO, it is completely unfair to expect to be served graciously, as the majority of crewmembers do, with the full intention of not providing their tips. It is no different than an increase in the fare itself - like it or not, tips are a part of the cost.

Old February 24th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Admiral

Well said pg..

I cruise and camp, too. although I have to say I camp a whole lot more (once a month with the boy scouts) than I cruise and I wish it were the other way around!

I don't think anyone was being snobby. "Why don't you go camping instead of cruising" was speaking to the tipping part, I believe. I have yet to tip anyone on a camping trip (although as someone else mentioned, camping isn't cheap - good gear is expensive), but then again, no one has left a towel animal in my tent either...

Hmmm...there's an idea - maybe the boy scouts can create a new merit badge. It could be called "Outdoor Service" and would require the scout to wait on their adult leader. Coffee delivered to my tent, towel animals, dinner cooked for me....it has promise...

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old March 18th, 2005, 02:05 PM
arachnoid

I agree with whomever said if you can't afford the tips don't go, or wait until you can.
It's 10.00 per person/day and is automatically added to your shipboard account. you have to leave your credit card number of a large cash deposit ( minimum 500.00 p/p for a cruise of over 10 days) and then at the end, they either charge your credit card your expenses, or give you back your difference. If you paid cash and your shipboard cash account gets less than 300.00 they won't let you charge anything to the account until you bring it up over that initial amount.

I found that just with alcohol, eating in private dining once, and gratutities and minimal shore excursions, I spent over 400.00 myself in a two week period and I was budgeting.
Old June 24th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Peebeegee

As an accountant I have to take exception to those who decry the idea of budgetting; how the hell do you think the general population gets into the mess they do when it comes to money??? It matters not a jot whether you talk in terms of $ or - If you cannot afford it don't do it and borrowing at the exorbitant rates credit card companies charge is the first step on a ladder but going down! I, like many others on this forum, have cruised many times and know the ropes (do not neccessarily like or agree with them but..) so lets have a little sympathy for someone who obviously a) has not cruised before and b) missed the small print and yes it is small. I also come from England and was completely astounded to watch all and I mean ALL the Americans on a recent cruise leave the shore excursions without leaving a cent as a tip. More worrying was on a trip in Costa Rica (not exactly the world's richest country) where free cans of beer and Coke were given out before a boat trip up a canal an American arrived back on the bus carrying a bag full of free drinks! I am not per se having a pop at you over there but lets accept that not all is right your side of the pond; you started this tipping phenomenon so sort it! p.s. why do you think there is no word for "Tip" in Japanese???
Bet this starts something going!!!!Paul
Old June 24th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Passenger

PeeBeegee

How do you know that everyone that didn't tip was American!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get off the American Bashing. I've tried to be polite when on this board. But I've just about had it with the American Bashing. Yes we have some rude, crude people. But so does every country. I live in South Florida, and let me tell you - I can tell some outrageous stories about a lot of Foreigners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm not going to tell those stories, but they would make your hair stand on end! We all have different customs. I've heard on this board that Tipping is an American thing and that Europeans don't seem to tip because they pay higher for their meals. (Sorry if that is incorrect) The jist of the story is if I went to Europe and didn't know about the no tipping custom, I would probably tip someone and they would be insulted and called me an ignorant American.

Please for the love of "what ever your belief is" (had to be politcally correct!)
STOP BASHING ALL AMERICANS.
Old June 25th, 2005, 06:34 AM
Peebeegee

Strangely enough DeeDee I have travelled a bit and can recognise an American accent when I hear it! The fact that they were all off our ship and thus known to me might also be of some use in recognising their origin. It appears that you have never been to Europe so, to put your mind at rest, it is quite common over here to tip maybe not at the rates you choose or are forced into if my recent visit to Miami is anything to go by. I am not American bashing and am not aware that these boards have some form of this or are you reading something I haven't. Climb back into your pram for the love of whatever your belief is!
Old June 25th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Passenger

Just curious, did you "see" EVERY American not tip?? By the way, most Americans think I come from Europe with my accent. It happens to be a speech impediment. No I haven't been to Europe, I would love to see England and Scotland.

You missed my point, I don't like it when someone states it is EVERY American as though we all are crude cave men/women.
Have a nice day!!))
Old June 25th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Passenger

Forgot to add, that I can't tell the difference between most Canadian "accents??" and an American unless they happen to be from a heavily French Speaking area.
Old June 25th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Admiral

To the O. P. Jayne - you do not have to tip, no one forces you to - cruise lines could include it in the price but the price would be higher. Thus you could not afford it either way. To not tip is - in a word - CHEAP - regardless of who started the custom. If cruiselines had to pay "living wages" to their staff then no-one but the super rich could afford to cruise. Tips are a way of subsidising the staff and most of us are more than happy to do it - and many of us tip over and above - mostly because we can, and we enjoy the special treatment. If you do not intend to tip - then be gracious enough to tell them that - ahead of time! Ya right - like that woud ever happen - because then you might get the service you actually "didn't" intend pay for. TTFN Jennifer