Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Passenger

Default how does this tipping work

I am looking at Carnival, Celebrity or if I really want to spoil myself Crystal. Carnival and Celebrity offered pre paid gratutites at 10.00 per day per person. The TA I talked to advised me that covers the whole boat and anything else is just extra. Is this true?
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: how does this tipping work

The pre paid tips include the dining room staff( waiter and bus boy) and the cabin steward. The bartenders have an automatic 15% added to each drink order.

Extra tips would be for room service( usaully a dollar or two depending on size of order, a full meal for two I'd tip a bit more) .
The Matre'd is an " extra"( we never tip him , as we don't think walking over to our table and asking"how is everything "worth a tip) If you had a special task for him it might be different.
The counsellors that look after your kids( if you have them) are an extra.
If a wine steward helps you selct a wine( usaully your waiter will do that, but some lines have a sommeleir(sp?) then that's an extra tip.

We usaully just tip the room service guys,( extra) 'but thats about it( we don't bring our kids)
Old July 18th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Yeoman

I'm thinking when the Matre'd comes over to ask "how is everything," I'll ask him to see about getting some decaffeinated diet cola for dinner. I'll tip him based on his success in that regard. :-)
Old July 18th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to 3FOB5Paradise

I'm a big proponent of tipping the maitre'd. If you guys only would hang out with him through both seatings, each week...and all the work he has to do aside from that. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.

Old July 18th, 2004, 01:19 PM
DJB

Now I am not sure how true this is.... But I have heard of tipping the Matre'd the first night you are on board to see where you are sitting.. and to see if maybe you can change your table to a better one for you... such as a better view, bigger table, a table with singles (for me I am solo cruising this year, so this might help)...

Or maybe increase chances to sit at captains table.

Old July 18th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Yeoman

3FOB5Paradice, The maitre'ds are paid quite well. Nope they don''t need my tip, and unless they earn it by doing something extra too bad for them, nothing extra from me.
I have been a hostess/ dining room supervixor in a very nice resort hotel, I have done the seating plans , the group tours , the staff supervision the schedules, the function sheets for events, the cash, the bartending when neccesary . I was MUCH better paid than the wait staff. I did get tips. but only when I did extra, or favours. Fine by me.
Old July 19th, 2004, 02:54 PM
First Mate

I don't think it is necessary to tip the maitre'd for interrupting my dinner to ask if everything is ok. If I didn't like something, I would have already told the waiter. This rarely happens since I am easily pleased and like everything. If the maitre'd did something special for us (ie. changing tables or dining times, then I would tip.