Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Stop the Insanity!

If tips are a " thanks" don't you think you too should" thank" the workers who serve you?
Old August 10th, 2004, 11:42 AM
TokyoRose

Not for doing what is expected of them. They are hired to serve. If someone goes above and beyond what is expected, then a thanks is due. You do not thank the person who services your car or that repairs your air conditioner.
Old August 10th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Stop the Insanity!

The cost of the service of your car or your air conditioner is included in the price of the repair. The cost of the service aboard the cruise ship is included in the suggested tips.
Old August 10th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Admiral

I thank everyone who does a service for me!
Old August 10th, 2004, 05:50 PM
sls

I live in Florida and my air conditioning died this summer. You bet I thanked the guy who came and put in a new one.

sls
Old August 10th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Admiral

I guess most of us tip on cruises and thank people who do services for us. i even thank the cashier at the store.

A very very few of us neither tip anyone nor thank anyone!
Old August 10th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Don't expect someone who doesn't tip to offer thanks to someone. Just doesn't happen.

And to compare being a mother with doing a job for someone else is absurd. I bet your child(ren) are happy to know you consider raising a child a job. Sheeeeesh!!!!!

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 11th, 2004, 12:23 PM
cantw82cruz

It's interesting that someone mentioned that prices in restaurants would have to go up in order to pay a wage to servers. I have found prices in US restaurants to be very comparable to prices in Canada where servers are all paid at least minimum wage so does that mean that US restaurants are just making a greater profit and expecting patrons to pay the wages for their servers? We do tip in Canada but certainly regard it more as a thank you for good service and not as paying their wages.
Old August 11th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Yeoman

Everything is more expensive in the States!
Old August 13th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Admiral

Toke,

It has *everything* to do with class and recognizing social mores. But feel free to exist outside of society at large - many folks do. Just don't ask the people that DO participate in society as well meaning, contirbuting members to condone your tacky behavior.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old August 13th, 2004, 10:26 AM
TokyoRose

Dot,

Most of the rest of the world does not participate in your over the top behaviour. We do not consider it tacky. What is tacky is to talk about money and how much one tips or overtips. If they want a higher paying job, go out and get it. Believe me their "gaurantee" is much higher than they could earn in their own country and not also pay room and board. I do not feel for those cruise ship workers.
Old August 13th, 2004, 10:33 AM
TokyoRose

its not over the top behaviour to tip
Old August 13th, 2004, 10:39 AM
pg

Why does Tokyos last two posts have different addresses. Is someone posting using her name( other than herself) ?
Old August 13th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to duct_tape_pro Send a message via MSN to duct_tape_pro Send a message via Yahoo to duct_tape_pro

sorry i was showin my mom something and forgot to go back to my own name, im sooooo sorry
Old August 13th, 2004, 11:19 AM
pg

No problem, I just like to know that when someone is attributed to saying something, then they actually said it.
Old August 13th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Admiral

Gee, I thought TR had come around....

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old August 17th, 2004, 10:36 PM
Michael Ho

When Americans like TokyoRose broadcast their attitudes about underprivileged and underpaid people, some of those people steal commercial airplanes and crash them into tall American Buildings.
Old August 18th, 2004, 03:46 AM
pg

No Michael, that is wrong.
Old August 18th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Chip

Guys Let me remind you that cruising not always equal to USA & IRS; they are working on international waters and visit different countries. Where im from (netherlands) we nefer tip. Its not in our culture and if we do tip we dont over "do" it 50 euro cent that sould do it and I still get my smile....
Old August 18th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Admiral

While that may be true for you, the fact remains the cruise ships leaving the U.S. for Caribbean, Canadian, South American ports are staffed by employees dependent (and expectant of ) your tips because the passengers are predominantly American/Canadian. If we were to sail on a ship in the European waters we would expect to do as the European do.

When we are in a foreign country we conduct ourselves according to their customs. And the same should be done in the U.S.

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 10th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Don't worry folks.. All of the tips will be on your "sea cards" in about a year and that will be that..OM
Old November 11th, 2004, 01:00 AM
Beginner

Hey Tokyo,
It's really hard for servers/tipped employees to cheat the IRS, they have a system now that all must adhere to. It is a percentage of total sales. That amount is taken out of their $2.13 an hour pay. So sometimes if a server waits on someone like you they just might end up paying to serve you.
What's with your attitude about going out and getting a better paying job, some people don't have the education to 'just go get a better paying job'.
I really don't want to stereo type but I am going to guess that you are very picky, very demanding, allow your kids to mess up the floor, leave all kinds of trash for the 'help' to clean up, send food back, ask for tons of refills and you're more likely to complain to the management to justify your no tipping attitude.
Do you ever go to the same restaurant twice? You might want to consider that the servers can and just might do something to your food. Servers NEVER forget people that STIFF.
I would like to suggest counseling, you need to work on your resentments, just because you don't get paid or thanked for your job doesn't mean others shouldn't.
Another thing, there is this old expression and I think you might want to consider it as well, " When in Rome do as the Roman's do".
Old November 11th, 2004, 01:01 PM
First Mate

It's interesting to come back to this thread after such a long time. I wonder if duct_tape_pro ever says thanks to his/her 24/7/365 mother, or if she excuses her children on that account because that's just part of her job (by her own choice).

It is probably against the rules to make my point like this, but sometimes people need to personalize their actions to understand how cruel and hurtful they are.

Old November 17th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Admiral

I can answer that Okie!

Not only does he thank me, but he sometimes drops to one knee and refers to me as "Queen of the Universe." Of course, that's usually on allowance day......

I get your point and have hopefully taught my son that you thank people when they serve you by leaving a tip. I thank someone who opens a door for me. He thanks me for cooking dinner every night (although sometimes his empty plate really says the thanks better).

Thanking someone should have nothing to do with whether or not something is "their job" or not. I thank my dentist after he pulls my tooth....go figure??

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old November 17th, 2004, 09:37 PM
First Mate

I thank my dentist when he stops....
Old November 21st, 2004, 07:31 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddlemama

I tip and am happy to. When in Rome do as the Romans do. I teach my kids to tip. It is a thanks and part of the wage. Also it makes me feel good to show servers i appreciate them. I will pre-pay my tips on a cruise and give extras to those who make my cruise more enjoyable. That is why I go, to enjoy myself. I think that automatic pre-tipping is a wonderful idea. If everyone has to pre pay for tips (service charges) then those of us who do so voluntarily won't have to make up the difference in the stiffers. Maybe the automatic pre-pay tip fee will go down. It is not that high now. $70 for a week total on Carnival. My kids are paying for their own tips to teach them respect and to not take servers for granted. They are not slaves. They are people who work hard to please others. Because that is their job and they are accustomed to tips for their excellent service. To make our dinners and vacations more pleasurable. I would also be afraid to eat at the same diner twice after not leaving a tip for good service the first time i went there. Scary invisible things happen to the food of stiffers. I don't even want to go into detail. I have been a waitress before and even tho I never did anything disgusting to a known stiffer's food. Most waitstaff do. What goes around Does come around.

1st Cruise - Single Mom and 2 Teens - Carnival Triumph Western Caribbean 3-19-05 - All advise appreciated :o
Old November 24th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Maureen Tollington

Default Re: Re: Re: Stop the Insanity!

Hi Bicker,

Come and live in England and say that - your in for one massive shock. The US is so cheap to us Brits it actually makes us cringe. You can buy a house in Arizona for $200,000 - approx. 110,000 at the moment over here

Where I live in the South East of England, you can't buy a garage for that!!!! Most 3 bed houses cost around 250-300,000 - $540,000!!!!!!! and everything here follows suit.

Our restaurants cost a bomb (without tips!!), our hotels do, our petrol - well that's another story - if petrol/fuel costs a lot, then all road haulage costs go up as well, so all in all, your Americans live a quality life very cheaply indeed to many countries.

Be grateful - you have a wonderful country and that is why we like to holiday there.

We do have a bit of an issue with tipping on board ship as we truly believe, your pay for good service and not bad. If our steward does well, then we would tip more than is customary. However, if he/she does the mandatory bit and shows no pleasure acting as if 'my god, another day's work' then I would expect to pay less.

In life, you get what you deserve and as we all know, if you work hard, you can earn alot more than those who just 'cruise along' - excuse the pun!!!!!

Another angle from another point of view.

Regards,

Maureen, Windsor, England
Old November 24th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Stop the Insanity!

cantw82cruz and I were talking about Canada vs. the United States. We weren't talking about any other country.

Old December 3rd, 2004, 01:02 PM
First Mate

I have to say this has been so amusing - Tokyo shows no respect. My daughter and I both ex-waitresses tip 20% for service all the time and we laugh we actually give extra on holidays. My daughter waitressed to put herself through college. She now works on Madison Ave in NYC in advertising and I waitressed as a second job to help put her there. I can remember her coming home in tears - her apron filthy from working hard and saying someone came in and spent $200 and left her a $2 tip. My really good story is busting my butt and the customer leaving me a religious card. We have the utmost respect for any service providers that are not paid minimum wage. Remember these people don't get paid benefits, paid vacations or holidays. And your right Rose probably is a pain to wait on and her cabin is probably a mess and her children disrespectful. Respect begins at home and I don't think there is any in that house.

Cruisin in 25 days Coral Princess to Panama Canal - my daughter is taking me to pay me back for all the help getting her through college. PS she is only 27
Old December 10th, 2004, 02:13 PM
TokyoRose

And you know this about me how. Actually my room is quite tidy and my children are very respectful. Cruise workers are paid quite well compared to some of the wages for a month in their home countries.

This violin playing is getting old. Go above what is expected of you and get a tip, otherwise do the job you were hired to do and go on ab out your day.