Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 11th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Stop the Insanity!

Tokyo, unfortunately no one can go above what you expect them to do.

I tip, not because I enjoy doing it, but because it is the right thing to do. I am thankful that I can afford to take cruises and feel sorry for those who must work very hard just to feed and clothe their families.
Old December 11th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Stop the Insanity!

Like I have said... Don't worry.. The tipping is going to be put on your "sea card" in the next year (2005) and then Toyko or anybody that cruises will "tip" through a "service charge" and we all know that this is comming.. Don't you just love it?? OM
Old December 14th, 2004, 07:35 AM
First Mate

OM, why do you think this will become a reality in the coming year?

Old December 14th, 2004, 07:56 AM
First Mate

Princess is already doing the automatic but I understand you have the option to bow out of it and tip on your own. I will stick with the automatic and tip extra for those that go out of their way for my family and I. Those people treat you like kings and queens.
Old December 20th, 2004, 03:24 PM
TokyoRose

My first stop on any line that automatically adds tips is the purser's desk. I have them removed immediately.
Old December 20th, 2004, 04:15 PM
First Mate

Who the hell cares what do Rose you are in the minority anyway. Any person that has worked for tips knows they are not going to get tipped everytime. All you do is remember that person and make sure the service is equal to insure promptness.

splendor of the seas
Old December 21st, 2004, 01:04 AM
TokyoRose

I have never once ran into someone that worked on a crusie ship more than once. And if you were insuring prompt service you would TIP beforehand not at the end of the cruise. I feel no guilt nor shame. The employees know what they are getting into and their base salary and gaurantee are quite more than they would be making at home.
Old December 21st, 2004, 06:10 AM
Admiral

T Rose,
While you are entitled to your opinion you will find that it is very much out of line with the thinking of others. Tipping is something expected in America and onboard cruiseships. I know many crewmen and women and more than 90% are on at least their second or more contract. Yes compared to what they are making in their own home countries they do well with tips but the base wage is poor, even for their home country wages and they work very hard and are working for tips. I highly suspect that the only thing you are trying to do is stir up controversy.
Jim

Old December 21st, 2004, 12:25 PM
First Mate

I agree Jim a person just looking for a reaction

splendor of the seas
Old December 21st, 2004, 10:41 PM
TokyoRose

Actually Jim,

I was disagreeing with the initial poster of ths thread. Actually their base salary which includes guarantee as was stated in the 1988 lawsuit against RCCL was around $788 a month. And this is in 1988. It is quite a fortune for someone whose standard of living in their country is quite different than that in america. Even a guarantee of that amount in American dollars is worth quite a bit more in their home country. They also do not have to pay room and board while aboard ship.

I know some members of the military who do not make much more than this a month and they certainly are away from their families for quite a bit of time and they certainly are not given tips. Also according to several employees, there are about 18-20% who do not tip. I am proudly one of those people. Tipping is way out of hand in this country anyway. I certainly do not tip a housekeeper at a hotel on land, and I certainly am not going to on a ship. Same goes for someone who works in a restaurant.
Old December 23rd, 2004, 03:42 PM
Admiral

Rose, your claim or report that a steward makes $788 a month is wrong beyond belief. Tyhe typical steward makes $50 a month to start and can work their way up to $125 a month but only after many many years. Yes the general 'stiff' rate is about 20-25%. If you are priud to be one of those that always stiff people, so be it. I personally would be ashamed of it but to each his own. This is your belief and you are entitled to it, I simply do not agree.
Jim

PS I deleted a number of posts that were personal attacks and unfortunately one that was linked to those attacks was also deleted because of the way the system works.

Old December 23rd, 2004, 07:31 PM
TokyoRose

Actually, that $788 figure is based on public record of a lawsuit filed against RCCL in 1988 for back wages for a employee hurt on the job. The base salary is $50 a month with a guarantee for tips, paid by the cruiseline, of $788 a month. Sorry but my figures are not "wrong beyond belief" as they are based on public record. The cruiseline makes up for quite a bit of us "stiffers". Considering a police officer in Iraq is currently paid $24 a month, even $50 with free room and board is quite a nice salary to begin with.
Old December 24th, 2004, 04:25 AM
Yeoman

Oh TR, how can you say that 50 plus room and board is a decent wage by comparing it to the wage earned by a policeman in Iraqi.

Please give your children a piece of bread and perhaps some wild greens for breakfast today, then for lunch, 1/2 a cup of rice and one chicken leg, then finish their day by giving them 1/2 cup of lentils for dinner. THAT IS ALL. Now , you do realize that the amount of food listed is more then many get on any given day in many countries of the world. SO, your child is very lucky to get that , aren' t they, and they don't really need more do they?

Totally ridiculas isn't it , to compare ?

How can you compare a policemans wage in a war torn country to your dining room waiter on a luxury cruise. Weird.
Old December 24th, 2004, 07:03 AM
duane

Yes T.R.,
Its people like you that have forced the lines to start putting tips on the sign and sail cards. NCL in 2005 will have their service charges added and you will not be able to go and adjust them and if that works out you better believe other lines will follow suit. I just got back from the NCL Sea and saw people doing the same thing you do removing tips. If you think that waitstaff in restaurants don't remember you being a nontipper, you are dead wrong. I hate to think what they might do to your food when you are not looking. SHAME ON YOU!
Old December 27th, 2004, 12:35 PM
First Mate

Duane why even open up the board to give TR any room she will not change just ignore her and go on there isn't a d@m thing anyone in here can say to make her tip. If God told her to tip she wouldn't so ignore her and move on.

splendor of the seas
Old December 30th, 2004, 01:09 AM
AlaskanPilot

Default Re: Stop the Insanity! nd Tokyo Rose

Personally I don't think the idea of tacking on the service sharge and removing tipping is a bad thing. First, for all of you concerned, this would (hopefully) have everyone paying the same amount for the service. No staff would get stiffed. Second, No one would get a free ride as many are doing if you accept TR's assertion that about 20% don't tip now. I personally believe it is lower but, would accept that many don't tip now for many different reasons. Third, the true cost which is significantly higher than a few dollars would have to be disclosed up front giving the true cost of the cruise. Fourth, the person working on the ship would get more money than they get now. If all of us ARE paying the "true" costs now, then the rise in price is offset by the non payment of tipping. Thus a non-event! So....bring on the mandatory service charge and get away from tipping where so many are displeased anyway. If you are already tipping....it won't matter!!!
Old December 31st, 2004, 11:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Alaskan Pilot... A great post.. You have summed it up correctly... The mandatory tipping is the best for everone.. The crew gets their money, the passengers knows their costs and there are no more stiffs to deal with.. The crusie lines are under less pressure to raise cruise prices.. Everone wins... I just love it.. OM
Old December 31st, 2004, 04:25 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddlemama

I have to agree with Alaskan Pilot also. Perfect!
Old February 1st, 2005, 11:24 AM
LKL

Why is it our responsibility to pay the cruisestaff's wages? How come everyone is getting on the case of the non-tippers? What about the cruiseline's responsibility to pay their workers a living wage instead of making them beg?

Why do the cruiselines play these games? Some of them quote you a price, then AFTER you book, they say, "Oh, we're adding a mandatory gratuity of $10 per day per person". The ones that don't make "tipping" mandatory, assail you with cards in the rooms telling you how much is "customary", the daily newsletters include these "hints", and if you still haven't "got" it, they put envelopes in your room stamped with the "customary" amounts. It's all crap. Just add it on to the cruise price.
Old February 1st, 2005, 03:44 PM
First Mate

Here is an idea if you get good service just tip them this isn't rocket science. I got good service on my cruise I tipped them instead of telling all the employers which some use this board that they need to pay the workers better.

splendor of the seas
Old February 4th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Admiral

Why do some people not understand that the staff's wages comes from the customers in one form or another. Whether it's tipping, or an included amount in the fare???? Either way you are paying their wages. In essence it's not the cruiselines who are paying.

At least with the tipping process I can decide if one worker deserves more pay than another. I like it.

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 4th, 2005, 07:57 PM
A Nicer Rose

How sad that Tokoyo Rose sees the glass as half empty all the time. If you smile at someone they might (and usually do) smile back. To think you've never had good service is so sad when another person receiving the same service might think it exceptional. People who work on ships, in restaurants, as hair stylists, etc. can rarely, if ever, afford to take the kind of fabulous vacations that cruising offers. Our friend, T.R. probably doesn't donate to charities either.... How sad that she doesn't see the good in her fellow human being.....
Old February 5th, 2005, 12:04 AM
TokyoRose

>>> To think you've never had good service is so sad when another person receiving the same service might think it exceptional.<<<

I stated I have never had service that went above and beyond what was expected for me to ever tip. I expect my room made up and to be served dinner. You don't get a tip for doing your job.

>>> Our friend, T.R. probably doesn't donate to charities either....<<<

What an incorrect statement. Perhaps you might want to rethink that as I certainly am not going to share my 1040s publicly. We give more to charities than many make in a year.
Old February 5th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Admiral

TR, you have still not stated whether or not you would continue to cruise if all the lines started adding a manditory service charge. I know that most waiters would be terribly disappointed not having you to serve.
Old February 11th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to windycitykitty

Tokyo Rose is going to be eating a lot or spit and buggers in her food, especially if she returns to the same place twice. If you want to eat spit and buggers and catch possible diseases , it's up to you but realize people who work with food sometimes get even, as can a hair dresser who might just chop off more then you bargained for or give you an uneven cut for stiffing her time and time again.
Old February 15th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Laurie Qualls

oh my goodness if you do not like the american way go back to your homeland you are the reason that automatic tips are applied...do not go anywhere a tip is expected stay home please.....these people get less than minimum wage tips are expected even from the irs.....go to mcdonalds woman no tips needed....and shut up and please do not cruise anymore you might end up feeding the fish
Old February 16th, 2005, 02:42 AM
Yeoman

Laurie what an appalling post.
TR is Amercian, so what is your rant about her " homeland" ? Are you racist? Bigoted? Xeniphobic( look it up )
Don't tell people to shut up, it is rude and immature.

We may not agree with TR but I am really surprised at how you Americans treat each other. Disgraceful.
Tr does not tip, she does not believe in it, don't act like she is taking food from your baby. Most cruisers do tip. Relax. The cruise line employees will not die of starvavtion because a small percentage of cruisers do not tip, or tip lower then recommended amounts.

I don't agree with TR, but I certainly DO NOT understand some of the OPEN HOSTILITY that is on this board.

I though Americans were big on " freedom of speech" I wonder if it only counts when you agree with someone.?
Old February 16th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Laurie Qualls

i am not a bigot...i am defending the workers...many who come from impoverished nations...obviously Tokyo is not one of them....she can afford to cruise.....she should pay the tips....and certainly her opinion is not one that is shared by most..Have a good day!
Old February 16th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Admiral

"From my place of birth and residence of most of my childhood and early adult life, tipping was unheard of. "..............................TokyoRose

"TR is Amercian, so what is your rant about her " homeland" ?...........pg

Based upon TR post above I would believe she was not American.

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 16th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Yeoman

Perhaps not born in America, but obviously lives there now, and is most likely a citizen, so , she is all yours now.

When someone is born somewhere else, but then becomes American, I think it is rude to throw in the " go back to your homeland" jab. Most of us can trace our lineage back to another country, unless of course you are a First Nations person( new polictcally correct term up here for native indian) .

Still telling someone to shut up is just not nice " board behaviour" , I imagine the anoy. quality of the internet lets some of us let our hair down more then we should( or would ) if dealing with a person face to face.

Let's just agree to disagree, and stop trying to convert, we can educate, but we can't force our opions on others by name calling.

Is that a fair enough statement.

And BTW Laurie, you are most likely a nice person in " real life" , and just get " hot under the collar" when you think of others ( the workers) getting mistreated. I agree with you, but there are SOME cruiseres who DO tip, but treat the staff like stupid slaves. So not tipping is not the only way to treat people badly.I hope and believe that such people are in the minority, as I like to think most of us are " nice folks" !