Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Laurie Qualls

Default Re: Stop the Insanity!

okey dokey i apologize for the shut up..yes i was peeved....people who demand the best service and do not tip...It is the custom to tip...and these people are taxed as though they were tipped by all the passengers...I hope i never run into TR on any of my cruises.....have a good night all....
Old February 19th, 2005, 09:24 AM
CherieS

Hey I saw TR in a resturant the other day, when the waitress went to get her 10th cup of coffee, TR ran out the front door. I see so many do that, they aren't brave enough to walk out without leaving a tip with the waitress that busted her butt for them is standing there. No way is she going to tell them they aren't getting a tip, they will tell her to get her own coffee. I think she is disgusting & I will not apologize for saying so.
Old March 19th, 2005, 11:59 PM
godfredo

Wow, I had no idea that this post would start such insanity! I suppose my goal was to stop the insanity, rather I have created more. I change my mind, Keep the insanity comming, it is much more interesting that way. I leave on the Vision of the Seas for Mexico tomorrow, and I will again reconvey that cash in envelopes will be my mode of tipping! I will happily tip those who make my vacation a memorable one and report any problems to managment. I bid you all goodnight and happy cruising. I even wish you a good night TokyoRose wherever you are counting your money in your sleep!
Old March 20th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Yeoman

The proper way to some up all of our feelings on the matter goes like this:

When in Rome, do as the Roman's do!

How dare someone come over here and act like such a small custom in our country is beneth them. It's just down right rude!
I'll bet there are a lot of things that T.R. has become accustom to while in the U.S.
In fact, I would bet on it. Beacuse if it wasn't so nice here, T.R. would go home!
Old March 21st, 2005, 09:54 AM
John44

Default Re: Re: Re: Stop the Insanity!

Author: bicker
Date: 08-11-04 14:33

Everything is more expensive in the States!

NOT IF YOU COME FROM LONDON
Old March 21st, 2005, 11:54 PM
Admiral

Well, Tokyo certainly has stirred up a storm here. Yes, she is cheap and inconsiderate of others who work hard to ensure that she has a pleasant experience in their restaurants, but that is her right.

Funny tho, that she hasn't said where she comes from originally where there is no tipping. Perhaps she is ashamed of her native country??

Wonder if she cares that she is actually costing waiters on land a certain amount to wait on her and her family, since the restaurants usually charge the wait staff a percentage of their sales. They don't expect people to leave not even a dime when they have gotten good service...

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old March 27th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddlemama

We just returned from our 1st cruise. We prepaid our gratuities. 15% was added automatically to our drink orders. All well worth it. My children and I agree that tips are the way to show those who made our vacation so awesome that we appreciate it ~ and greatly. We do not take such things for granted. We gave additional tips to our cabin stewart and head waitress because we wanted to show our appreciation for their special attention. Yes, it is their job. But we enjoyed showing them how much we enjoyed their hospitality. Without it, our trip would have not been a dream come true. Plus it just feels good to show appreciation to someome who, (even though it is their job) treats us like kings and queens for a few days of our life. Kinda like ~ You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. We became friends with these wonderful people and wish them joy and happiness and wish to contribute to their happiness in life as they have in ours.
Old April 2nd, 2005, 07:18 PM
bernie and frank

Default Re: Re: Stop the Insanity!

SOME DAY WHEN YOU MEET THE GOOD LORD IAM SURE HE WILL GIVE YOU A GOOD TIP,HEAD THE OTHER DIRECTION.
Old April 21st, 2005, 11:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

I just started reading this thread, I don't know if it is very active anymore, but I too agree that tipping is nothing more the company (restaurant, cruise line, etc) trying to pay less to the workers and guilting the customers into supplementing the wages. While I am the kind of person who is guilted into tipping and always tip at least 15% at restaurants and the reccommended amount on a cruise ship, I still think it is a stupid practice.

I find it funny when people don't realize that whenever they are the consumer in any industry where gratuity is common (restaurant, cruise line, etc) that the company wants to get as much as they can out of you and pay as little as possible. Cruise lines don't pay good wages to the workers because they know the passengers will. My feeling is that when I pay for a cruise, I am paying for the good service in my fare and shouldn't have to pay extra for it. Again, before any attacks on me, please keep in mind that I DO tip the common amounts.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 01:21 PM
First Mate

Whether it's a tip or a salary you think is fair, you are still paying for it. At the end of the day you end up with the same total cost, just via a different route.

Old April 25th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Passenger

Tokyo ,just admit it, your flat out cheap.
Old April 26th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Admiral

"I too agree that tipping is nothing more the company (restaurant, cruise line, etc) trying to pay less to the workers and guilting the customers into supplementing the wages.".........sblahars

I own a restaurant and bar and I can tell you for a fact tipping has absolutely no impact on my business. If tipping was not the custom their wages would be built into the price of the products. You see, we have to make sure our employees earn enough money to want to stay in the job. Instead of paying $10 for the dinner and $1.50 in tip you'll be paying $11.50 for the dinner and no tip. It makes no difference to me other than I know human behaviour will change and service to my customers will suffer if the servers are guaranteed their money.

I have servers who make out very well because they HUSTLE and some who are just slow. Each person works at their own productivity level. If they were paid a straight wage and not tips then the ones who really hustle have no rewards more than the ones who are slow.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 28th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddlemama

That concept would work nicely in all fields not just waitressing :o)
Old October 12th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Beginner

I wouldnt visit the same restraunt twice!
Old October 19th, 2005, 01:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

I am not sure if anyone is still reading this thread but if so here goes

I am new to this website and posting boards but just want to say that having been a waitress for 5 years while teaching to make ends meet and now I am lucky enough to have a single job where I do not need to supplement my wages that I also am a good tipper. I have been on both sides of this as a server, bartender and end consumer and have respect for peoples individual beliefs however feel that when people are in a country as may people have stated " do as the romans do"

I also have traveled abroad to many caribbean islands, hawaii, and even Africa and adjusted my beliefs and behaviors to what is appropriate for that country. In Africa they are very conservative and it is preferred that woman especially cover their legs now I know there was a lot of people who did not respect this custom however I believe when you travel you respect the country you are in.

I can also tell you that the people in these impoverished countries leave their families for months at a time to try and earn even a fraction of what us americans do and that we should be greateful for what we have and give to others..
I partly do this by tipping whether it is in a restaurant, my hairdresser, or our guide who went to our resort with us spent the week away from his family and gave my boyfriend and I private safari tours everyday and taught me some wonderful things about the native african culture just so he can earn a living to put his 2 sons thru school which in Kenya after a certain age there is no public schooling...

these people work for minimal wages and are away from their families we should have compassion for them and the unfortunate circustances which has put them in this position...
I have always tipped and will continue to do so

Also my mother who is 72 years old and was raised in a different time and dropped out of school is now a waitress in a truckstop from the 11:00pm-7:00am shift, and works for tips.
She has no choice if her and my father want to get by but she must work and bust her butt. To say this is their job and they should not be tipped is an possibly the belief of someone who has never been in an unfortunate circumstance where they needed to rely on tips.
Not everyone has been as fortunte as those of us who do not have to waitress anymore or never have had to, part of being an American I feel is having compassion for those who are less fortunate than ourselves and I have seen them firsthand in Africa. For everyone who tips THANKS FROM MY 72 YEAR OLD MOTHER who because of unforutne circumstances in her life is uneducated and has no other choice but to do this type of work.
Everyone who tips will continue to do so and those who do not well noone is going to change their minds and quite frankly I feel sorry for them that they feel they way they do.
I will be going on an NCL cruise in a month and the tipping is mandatory and you cannot remove it. I agree all the cruise lines will eventually be going to this and I feel it will make my job a lot easier and I will tip more to those who provide additional servies. This was a very intersting post to read and interesting to see everyones point of view. Good Luck and keep tipping!!
Old October 19th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Thanks for the post. I believe that you have said it all!
Old October 19th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Admiral

Amen, scubagirl30

I don't know where your sweet Mother works, but you can be assured that we would tip her well

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old October 19th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the replies my mother works in a truckstop in a small town in the state of NY (Dansville) I am sure that most people have not heard of it and thanks to all who do tip !! My mother also chooses to work because she at 73 still feels honored to provide her 4 adult children with Christmas presents even though we have all told her that is not necessary..I have 2 brothers one who is 45, one who is 43, I am 34 and my sister is 30... we are very lucky to have amother who is so thoughtful and sacrifices her health not only to make ends meet but still wants to give her adult children (who for the most part can provide for themselves) a few tokens of her love.!!! Take care everyone and hope to hear from people soon and will post again!!
Old October 20th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Admiral

Scuba - give that mom of yours a great big hug from me - she sounds like a wonderful lady and a great influence on her kids! Most in her circumstances would be complaining like heck - I really admire what she is doing. If I'm ever in Dansville, NY I will stop at every truck stop until I find her

ttfn Jennifer
Old October 21st, 2005, 02:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Jennifer she is great and I am lucky to have her as a mom and she did her job as a mom early in my life and everything I am I owe to her. Take care and 29 days and counting unti the Norwegian Dawn cruise for first time... KEEP TIPPING!!
Old November 7th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Passenger

Oh why not toss my $0.02 into this already way-long argument? Heh.

Views on tipping here in the US runs a wide spectrum and I've had one person tell me I don't tip enough in restaurants and another person tell me I tip too much. (Go figure)

I'm 1st-generation American w/ my family from southern Europe and I spend a few weeks every summer visiting Italy (I'm lucky to have dual-citizenship). To quickly summarize, when I'm in Europe, I don't tip because its added in a "cover" or "service" charge. When I'm here in the US I tip based on the level of service I get.

Here near Boston, minimum wage for servers is $2.63/hr while reg. minimal wage is $6.75/hr (i think).

I think we do have to admit that tipping here in the U.S. has become pretty corrupt, far away from how it was intended. I've been told by friends who've waited tables that no matter what the service, at least 15% should be tipped - if the service was good or better, leave extra tip. Well that rubs me the wrong way.......

I feel that if a server does a typical job (typical as in nothing extraordinary, but is diligent and takes my order and checks in now or then and brings me my food nice and hot; not even requiring small talk) then I'll tip 15%. If the server really stands out in my mind though because they were making eye contact and making me feel like they really cared about my meal and kept a close eye on the table's needs and they had a good personality and attitude, I'll tip somewhere between 20%-40%. But if a server doesn't seem interested, doesn't make eye contact, isn't being attentive and/or messes up the order multiple ways, I leave anywhere from 0% to 10% depending on how bad I thought the service was.

On my first cruise this past March on Celebrity, I thought every staff member on board did a fabulous job (how the heck the stateroom attendant get my room turned over so quickly twice a day?! once I left for just 20 mins and it was all done when I got back!). They were from all over the globe but they all acted like my happiness was their main concern. Even something as simple as the bartender in the Ocean Grille smiling at me and asking me if I was doing OK (I guess I looked like I wasnt to her? heh) made a difference. So I had no problems leaving the minimum tips and then some.

I for one think it would be better like others have stated to just include the "recommended tips" in the cruise bill as a service charge because it wouldn't affect me and the others like me who feel we would like to offer the tips. Those who offer truly great service would still get a tip on top of that to show my gratitude. Come on... I'm spending $2,700 on my balcony cabin for two and my shore excursions for my cruise in Jan, what difference does $138 worth of tips for myself and my gf make to me? It's not a lot compared to the fulfillment it will give to the crew that I know will do their utmost to make me feel like a king for a week.

I work as a corporate IT consulant and make a salary, so while I don't get tips (nor would I accept them), I do know how well appreciated an expression of gratitude is from a client. On the rare occasion a client of mine has felt I didn't go above and beyond to resolve their problem, its ruined my entire day because I take a lot of pride in what I do (and so far I see the same pride in the cruise staffers I've met).

Cheers! ...And happy cruising to all

- mobster75!
Cruise #2
[img]/countdown2.php?month=01&year=2006&day=14&hour=17:0 0[/img]
Voyager of the Seas, Western Caribbean

Celebrity Millenium, Eastern Caribbean, 3/05
Old November 8th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Beginner

It is a not a moral problem either for me. From my place of birth and residence of most of my childhood and early adult life, tipping was unheard of.

Maybe you should go back to where you were born and seem to fit in. It's not right to go to someone else's country and not follow there **reasonable** customs.

BYE BYE ....
Old November 15th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Passenger

Default As a waitress

I know this topic has been discussed for a long time, but here's what *I* have to say:

I worked as a server for several years (for around $2/hour), and I got to know the people who came into the restaurant where I worked. I knew who the good tippers were, and who the TokyoRose's were. While it was my job to serve their food, I was forced to do that for everyone. However, for the TokyoRose's, I didn't care that their drinks were low. I didn't care that their food was cold, or took a long time to cook. I didn't care that they were also the people who ALWAYS asked for extra cheese, or dressing, or condiments, while expecting not to pay for them. I didn't care because they were there to eat, and that's what they paid for. If they wanted good service, they needed to pay for that too. If they weren't willing to pay for the service, they didn't get it.

Of course then most of these people would complain to the management, but the management didn't really care. They knew who these people were, because typically they had something to complain about every visit.

And tipping on cruises should be no different. I wouldn't dream of not tipping - The better the service, the more I'm willing to pay for it.

Nickle
Old November 16th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Passenger

Great post nickle..i agree completely!!
Old November 18th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Beginner

I find it appalling that there is 2 different minimum wages one for servers and one for "other workers". I didn't know this. I figured that a minimum wage is that, a minimum wage. Across the boarder to your north there is 1 minimum wage and that is anywhere from $6-$8/hour (depending on different provinces). I have never tipped more than 20% and that was for just great service, and excellent food. I do tip almost every time I am in a restaurant, but it is normally 10 - 15%, and if I get bad service I don't tip at all.

I think I will change my tipping when I go down into the US, now knowing how poorly they are being paid. I do have a hard time with tipping 20% on a $300 meal, just because I am in a fancy restaurant and the prices are high.... that's like $60. A tip should in no way supplement there wages, it should be a bonus for doing a good job and keeping there customers happy.

Over across the pond I had a chance to talk to a few of the waiters, in Europe there is schooling involved to become a waiter, but they just don't serve the food, they can also pick up the slack in the kitchen, cover for the head waiter and do the dishes at the same time. It just isn't a job, it is a career.

I remember my father saying once ...(about 30 years ago) when we were on holidays in the US, you have to tip here otherwise you will get no service the next time you come in, I never did understand it (Fully)...until now.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 01:08 PM
Passenger

Default Thanks, Dabbler

Thanks for the comments. I think that a lot of people, especially those from other countires, are unaware that servers make less than the "normal" minimum wage. While there are restaurants with competitive pay, most only pay their servers the serving minimum wage of $2.13/hour. Although it's not ideal for those who work in food services, I think the idea behind it is that restaurants want their workers to impress the guests enough that they'll come back. Another thing some people don't know is that lots of places encourage their servers to "tip out" other workers at the end of a shift. For example, if a server delivered lots of drinks from the bar to their tables, they are often expected to give the bartenders part of their earnings. Or, if there are food runners, the servers typically give them money at the end of the night. Sometimes this is done for those who bus the tables too. The downside of this is that if a server doesn't have a good night, they can easily give away most of their money to the people who helped them. And lots of times, if they DON'T tip these helpers out, the next time they work, they'll receive slow bar service, not get their tables bussed, not have help running their food, etc. It's a vicious cycle!
Old December 3rd, 2005, 03:09 PM
Captain

Hi,
To visitors out there who don't tip- Next time in the US pick up a copy of Nickle and Dimed-On Not getting by in America. Interesting read and might change how you look at the wait staff here.

K
Old December 5th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Yeoman

Nickel, I have been a server too, and quite frankly I am not impressed that you would choose to give poor service to someone who doesn't tip. That is just poor work ethic. You are paid a wage to serve, tips are extra. I served everyone to the best of my ability, and yes some people tip more then others. On the other hand I am a Canadian, and we pay our servers a decent( although low) minimum wage ( here it is 8 $ an hour) , perhaps if I was paid the slave wage of 2 dollars an hour I would be more hardened and worry less about work ethic and more about tips.

Thomas, you always cite your business as an example, yet, here in Canada there restaurants and bars pay more then slave wages and still have good servers and good prices. How is that ?

I tip on the cruise. I tip at home, I tip for good to excellant service, half *ssed service gets 1/2 tip. and poor service gets nothing but a word to the manager. I am sypathtic to a strugggling obviously busy server, and merciless to a lazy hand out server.
Old December 6th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Passenger

Pg. -

Let me just clarify that I don't give particularly poor service to those who don't tip...I still do my job for those people, but why should I run around like a chicken with my head cut off for people who aren't appreciative and neglect those who are? That's the thing - Typically those who are appreciative are much less demanding than those who are not - The people who are not are usually out to get something for nothing, and I'm not going to be the one to contribute to that.

For example: Table 1 is notoriously known poor tippers. Table 2 is notoriously known great tippers. Both tables have low drinks. Who am I going to refill first? Table 2 of course. See what I mean? Table 1 will get their refills, but if they're not appreciative of my hard work, I'm not going out of my way to accommodate them before my great customers at Table 2.
Old December 11th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Captain

PQ writes
Quote:
On the other hand I am a Canadian, and we pay our servers a decent( although low) minimum wage ( here it is 8 $ an hour) , perhaps if I was paid the slave wage of 2 dollars an hour I would be more hardened and worry less about work ethic and more about tips.
Maybe $2 plus tips works out better financially than $8 plus few tips. Maybe the tipping system works in US because we are more generous people and like to give. I was shocked when I went to Maine and the Canadians left pennies on the table. I didn't know about the difference in tipping between cultures then though. If you are a server and live near the border, I feel for you with your many Canadian customers who don't tip and are paid $2 an hour.

K