Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 11th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Admiral

I am a Canadian and a very good tipper. I don't beleive I have ever been out to a meal where eveyrone I was with did not tip well. On cruises we leave the mandatory on the tab and add to that as well - in cahs at the end. We always tip porters, cab drivers, tour personel and anyone that we come in contact with that does us a service. Not tipping is definately not a "Canadian" habit - just the habit of uncaring individuals - that can be said for any society.

ttfn Jennifer
Old December 12th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Captain

Hi Jenn,
Thats good to read. I see some of the negative responses from Canadians on here and thought it not a custom so they don't bother. I see from your response that it is not the norm. Is Maine right below Quebec? Maybe this makes a difference. I was in a town that is along a highway that I think Quebecers use to get into the states. Is tipping not a custom in Quebec?

Karen
Old December 12th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Admiral

Karen - IMHO Quebec isn't even a part of Canada . I think British Columbia should defect and become part of the U.S.A.

I think tipping is more "uncommon" in European countries - but I would likely tip anywhere I went. I have never actually been to Quebec so can't really say what goes on back there. It takes all kinds to make a world - and a few unkind ones to ruin it.

ttfn Jennifer
Old December 12th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Captain

Quote:
I think British Columbia should defect and become part of the U.S.A.
Hey British Columbia can be the ummmm...... how many states do we have now?
I met a really neat gal from Canada when I lived in MI. She wanted me to go to that night spot Davids with the male dancers. I kick myself for not going. I heard they take it all off in Canada. wooohooo!!!
Old January 13th, 2006, 03:28 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Skeewe

I as waiter on cruise ship 10 years ago for a 10 month period. Back then all my earnings were tips. Our salary was symbolic, about 50$.

In my opinion tipping is only way to have personalized service. Nothing can make your waiter to CARE more than adequate gratitue. And thats the point: Everyone wants a waiter who CARE.

Would you like service provided by staff on fixed salary? Thrust me that just doesnt work. Those guys work long hours and under high preasure.
If they are not financialy motivated they would just trow food on your tables and wait to see you leave.
Old July 29th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

There are certain aspects of this discussion I have a problem with.

Being Irish/European, if I go to a restaurant, supermarket, or any other product/service providers place of business, I assume the employees providing that service are adaquately paid by their employer. If not, then I'll bring my business elsewhere. If Business A, charges €10, and underpays his/her workers, whilst Business B charges €12, and pays his/her staff well, then Business B will get my Custom. I stopped shopping at my local supermarket, upon discovering that they underpay their staff. SO PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CALL ME CHEAP.

I do however, as a consumer have certain expectations. If I see a price list stating that a carton of Milk is €1.50, a loaf of Bread is €1, and a packet of Cheese is €2.50, then I expect to be able to go to the counter with a €5 note, and walk away with the aforementioned items. If the shopkeeper added an extra euro to my bill, then I'd bring my business elsewhere, even if the elsewhere charged more for the individual products.

I resent the implication that not tipping is, amongst other descriptions used here, "cheap". I try to live up to my responsability of making sure that those who provide me with service are rewarded for doing so. I also insist however that when availing of a service that the price of the service is laid out in front of me in plain English, Black and White, and Clear as Crystal. That's what europeans expect from service providers, and insulting our customs/expectations just because they aren't the same as your own, is, well... insulting.

I will tip if a server goes above, and beyond the call of duty - I do however expect the fullfillment of the duty to be included in the price laid out in front me - Black and White, and clear as crystal, with no hidden extras. I will also pay according to the service I received - not the price of a meal. Americans on the other hand don't seem to expect such clarity when they order something. It seems that when they look at a price tag, they automaticly and mentally add an extra x% for tips / Sales Tax / etc. That may be the way you do things in America, BUT BUT BUT!

BUT:

Cruises are marketed to an International Audience. Not just americans. When going on a cruise ( particularly so if It's a P&O[british] or Costa[Italian], trip to the Mediternian ), that I booked through my local European travel agent, I have European expectations from the service provider to pay their staff sufficiently, and not to charge me any more than was outlined in the Menu/Pricelist.[/b]
Old July 31st, 2006, 12:08 AM
Passenger

Default WoW

I believe that I started a war that will go on forever! My two cents worth is this: I have no problem tipping on a cruise! I don't like to have to be told by a cruise company how much or have it done as a service charge! As I stated at the beginning of this thread, I believe that a tip should be given to those who deserve it! I am currently booked on a HAL cruise for November and I have read that they will add the tip to your account and you can adjust it accordingly. I will if necessary. I will also give cash to those who personally have made vacation better. Though I do not agree with Tokyo Rose on many points, I do think it to be quite ridiculous to be tipping chief housekeepers or any other so called management or supervisory postions. The cruise companies should pay them a decent enough wage to make sure the cruising experience is up to par. My own opinion is that NCL dropped the ball in making the mandatory tip. We recieved bad dining service unless we used the pay resteraunts and it was quite obvious that they could care less! To me tipping is personel, I wish to reward people personally and the NCL "Resort Charge" is an absolute disgrace. I hope that this trend does not become common on other major cruise lines!

HAL Oosterdam
Old July 31st, 2006, 09:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

tipping the chief of housekeeping in my opinion is quite silly... i never saw the man... he never PERSONALLY came to my room walked in inspected it... he never said good morning to me... or good night... ... and it has only been in extreme recent years that they started that... course i never had to tip before... but i don't remember my parents mentioning tipping the COH... I can understand tipping the Maitre'D if or When he visits your table... my past Maitre'D did a marvelous job... so yes.. tips for him.... tipping waiter... yes also expected... asst. waiter is expected.. and my roomkeeper that's expected... but... the COH is sort of strange

I have heard from several waiters that if the mediterraen wasn't as beautiful and terrific to travel to... they wouldn't want to go there, because the europeans don't tip well... they feel short changed... so they already have low expectations when they walk onto one of those ships to work... which means.... they aren't going to try as hard, because they know their service wont be as appreciated financially as it is in the American Hemisphere...
Horizon - July '03
Rhapsody of the Seas - Thanksgiving '03
Golden Princess - June '04
Carnival Ecstasy - May '05
Explorer of the Seas - July '05
Infinity - Doomed Voyage - July '06
Old August 1st, 2006, 10:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Tokyo Rose, where are you?

And how many names has "Tokyo Rose" used to keep this pot stirring for two years?

This thread makes me laugh...it is too comical to be believed.

This is a crusing forum, and if you choose not to tip (on those lines where you are still allowed to stiff the servers and attendants), then so be it. No amount of argument or persuasion is going to change your mind.

As for me and my house, I appreciate the service I receive and enjoy rewarding good service through my gratuities.

LL
Navigator - E. Caribbean - 11/2006
Vision - West Coast - 4/2007
Grandeur - Canada/N.E. - 9/2007
Voyager of the Seas -"R"W. Caribbean - 1/2008
Old August 1st, 2006, 03:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

"Tokyo Rose" used 5.... the answer is always 5
Horizon - July '03
Rhapsody of the Seas - Thanksgiving '03
Golden Princess - June '04
Carnival Ecstasy - May '05
Explorer of the Seas - July '05
Infinity - Doomed Voyage - July '06
Old February 23rd, 2009, 03:01 PM
Beginner

Totally agree. Sometimes you get to know your cabin steward more and sometimes they really go out of their way to share their hopes and dreams.