Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 22nd, 2004, 07:59 AM
Passenger

Default what if you just don't tip

I have worked as a pizza delivery person, a waiter and a bartender. I have read that the tip envelopes are handed out at the end of a cruise so that is when you decide you want to tip, and I will tell you I am one that will probably ask for tips to be pre paid. Now if I don't believe that the crew deserves more I won't tip. But if for some reason I go with Crystal or Holland (I have heard Holland has a no tipping policy and thru a certain website Crystal offers a special where your tips are paid.) So what if I just don't tip. Working the above tips were always optional unless you had a big party. Now I am sure I will tip but if I don't have great service I won't what then.
Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2004, 12:53 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: what if you just don't tip

hals tipping policy is the most understood --most people tip at the end of their cruise- also hal is now instituting a new policy where they are adding 15% to all bar bills and posting a set amount to your room charge every day --suggest you go to the hal board for the latest details ------------if you dont tip they will call you names but not to your face after they realize that you have stiffed them ---the same names you muttered when someone stiffed you as a pizza delivery person or a bartender --these people work hard for your tips-----------two wrongs dont make a right

Old July 22nd, 2004, 03:23 PM
Passenger

Believe me I would tip if the service was worth it. I don't believe anyone in here would tip if they were completely dissatisfied, and even when I was counting on tips I knew in most cases my tip was based on the service they received.
Old July 24th, 2004, 09:25 PM
JImeeee4

The idea that tips should be based on service recived is long dead. It is expected even if the waiter spills your soup on you. And the 15% "gratuity" added to bar service had been going on for eons.
Old July 25th, 2004, 05:52 AM
Yeoman

I disagree that the idea that tips should be based on service received is dead. It is still very much alive.

The disparity, I believe, stems from the fact that tipping is not zero-based. At a US restaurant for example, 15% is the baseline amount for service associated with a meal, not 0%. If the server is negligent or careless, that's one thing; the management should be informed, the server disciplined, and no tip would be appropriate. If, on the other hand, there is an accident, surely folks would be expected to use their discretion and reduce the tip, since the service wasn't without incident. The problem is that some people would actually think it appropriate to not tip at all, in that circumstance. That's indefensible IMHO. The server spent an hour serving you, and had an accident. Imagine making one mistake at work, and being docked your entire salary for the time you worked on that project.

So, the concept is alive and well. Some patrons, however, either are unable or unwilling to participate in the system with integrity, as the system is defined.
Old July 25th, 2004, 01:39 PM
TokyoRose

The server does not spend an hour serving me. At best they are in contact with me and or my order for 7-10 minutes of that hour. That is what they are expected to do. If I go to Applebee's and order three courses and the next day go to Morton's and order three courses, the waiter spends the exact amount of time with me and my order. For someone who tips, there is no reason to base it on the amount of the purchase of the meal. You are paying for higher quality ingredients, expertise of the kitchen staff, however the purpose of the waiter is still the same.

Back to the original question, nothing happens if you just don't tip. I have never tipped on a cruise or at a land based restaurant or resort or hotel or motel and nothing has ever come about from not tipping.
Old July 25th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Yeoman

"What they're expected to do"

I dispute your under-estimation of the amount of time the waiter and assistant waiter spends serving you, especially given all the work for you they need to do behind the scenes, but that's irrelevant given your statement here: If indeed that is "what they're expected to do," then in return you're expected to tip them, as per the tipping guidelines of the cruise line aboard ship, or 15% of the menu price for servers at land-based restaurants.

"There is no reason to base it on the amount of the purchase of the meal."

You're mistaken. Patronizing full-service restaurants in the United States carry with it the expectation to compensate the server as per the mores of our society, i.e., 15% of the menu price.

"nothing happens if you just don't tip"

That isn't true either. What, perhaps, you mean to say is that nothing happens to you, at least nothing physical or legal. However, something definitely does happen if you don't tip: A server doesn't get appropriately compensated for the work done. You get a bonus, in terms of financial enrichment, while a worker who performed a service for you gets little or no recompense for it. I can assure you that that is most assuredly something.

"I have never tipped on a cruise"

Which is as good an argument as any to increase the prices a few hundred dollars. I really prefer having the discretion of adjusting the tips up or down a few percent to reflect better or poorer service, but it isn't worth it if it means leaving service workers open to the abuse of being stiffed by people more concerned about their own financial gain than about living up to the mores of society, and civil expectations thereof.
Old July 25th, 2004, 05:07 PM
sls

Bicker ,

You will never change TokyoRose's stand. I hope someday someone in her family gets a job in waitstaff.

sls
Old July 26th, 2004, 01:03 AM
Yeoman

if you say its night (and it is) rose will tell you that is day and there is nothing you could possibly say to get her to change her mind ---she has a rep on a lot of boards --her goal is simply to rile people and then sit back and laugh at them ---dont remember what board it was on but she was a very active participant on the subject of breast feeding in the dining room a while back

Old July 26th, 2004, 01:44 PM
sls

Rose started the breastfeeding in the dining room thread.
Old July 26th, 2004, 04:08 PM
TokyoRose

That has nothing to do with this thread. My friend however did get a personal letter of apology for the way the Maitre'd handled the situation. More women have since breasted in the dining room on formal and every other night with no such harrassment.
Old July 28th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Admiral

Great post, Bicker - it really cut to the heart of the matter.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old July 28th, 2004, 02:58 PM
JaneMarlow

What happens if you don't tip? Well, what happens is that you are a churlish little person, that is all.
Old July 30th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Passenger

Toyko are you serious? If this service isn't good that is unacceptable that is one thing nobody can be taht much of an a**hole to say they don't tip anybody no matter how great the service is. What I can tell you when I was a waitperson I always remembered the stiffs. They never could figure out how someone that walked in 10 minutes after them was done eating before they were even served, or how come there water was only filled up once I could never answer that question or understand why they never came back...oh well guess I will never know.
Old July 30th, 2004, 03:58 PM
First Mate

Rose I bet you hate that automatic tipping policy on some cruise lines.
Old July 31st, 2004, 06:23 PM
TokyoRose

Donald,

I never ever tip ever. I was not born in this country and where I come from it is not expected. I do not tip a hotel maid and I certainly don't tip a cabin steward. I am expecting and paying for a clean comfortable room. No cabin steward or hotel room has ever exceeded my expectations.

As far as not tipping waitstaff at restaurants, I don't do it because of so many who have told me they do not report more than what their employer reports as tip income to the IRS. Those people are not paying their fair share in income taxes and I am partially subsidizing them flaunting the law. No one is forcing one to work on a cruise line. This nonsense about indentured servitude is just that; nonsense.

As far as oursoonerfanintexas is concerned, those lines that automatically include tipping on the onboard account get a visit by me at their respective purser's desks the very first day to have those charges removed. If I buy a drink, I take my pen and scratch through the line that says gratuity and label it what it is: a service charge.
Old August 1st, 2004, 04:27 PM
Passenger

Toyko I still say you are pulling my leg even if you aren't from this country. I have been to other countries and they now about tipping.
Old August 1st, 2004, 05:56 PM
Admiral

And by her own admission to earlier posts about this, TokyoRose will not tell the cabin steward or waiter in advance she will not be tipping. She wants to receive the same service as everyone else but won't be paying for it like everyone else.

If you're going to ride the bus Dear, buy a ticket!

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 1st, 2004, 11:03 PM
TokyoRose

Yes Thomas that is because the cruiseline pays their employees as it should be. If they want a better higher paying job, look elsewhere. Tipping is and always has been in the US voluntary not mandatory. They should be doing the job they were hired to do with no regard to a gratuity or not.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 06:40 AM
Yeoman

You are misken. They are there to provide you service based solely and completely on the expectation that they will receive, on average, the suggested gratuities, should they do their job as expected.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 07:30 AM
First Mate

I wonder ToykoRose by your log in name are you from Japan?
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:00 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: what if you just don't tip

TokyoRose is a Comcast customer... Almost surely United States.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:44 AM
Passenger

Sooner what does that have to do with anything?
Old August 2nd, 2004, 09:35 AM
First Mate

I was just wonering then if she still walks five paces behind her man?
Old August 2nd, 2004, 04:08 PM
Jane_Marlow

When in Rome do as the Romans do.....My mother was not born in this country either. However, she is a gracious person and a great tipper.

Tokyo Rose, are you just an internet troll? Makes me wonder.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 04:12 PM
Jane_Marlow

The historical Tokyo Rose wasn't from Japan. Further, it's quite ignorant to assume that Japanese women "walk behind their man."

However:

I agree that Rose is churlish, and being a foriegn is no excuse to be ignorant to tipping.

But again, it's a personal decision. Bad taste to be certain, but a personal choice. I wouldn't associate with a person who didn't tip as a rule. It speaks volumes about what is in his/her heart.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 06:11 PM
First Mate

That wasn't a cut againt Japanese women or Japan. I believe this person is full of BS. So that is why I asked if you are from Japan and do you walk five paces behind your man.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 10:33 PM
TokyoRose

Jane I do not vacation in Rome so I do not do as the Romans do. Talk about a lack of taste, making personal attacks on an internet bulletin board.

Back to the original post, nothing happens if you do not tip. It is VOLUNTARY not MANDATORY.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 06:23 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: what if you just don't tip

I never saw TokyoRose's response to my original reply, when she first asserted this very same thing: that nothing happens if you do not tip. Since she decided to repeat what she said earlier, I figure I should repeat what I said in reply, in case she missed it last time.

What, perhaps, you mean to say is that nothing happens to you, at least nothing physical or legal. However, something definitely does happen if you don't tip: A server doesn't get appropriately compensated for the work done. You get a bonus, in terms of financial enrichment, while a worker who performed a service for you gets little or no recompense for it. I can assure you that that is most assuredly something.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 07:47 AM
First Mate

Rose you are full of BS. There are alot of references to you being a woman and since you are so old school I am sure the man makes all the decisions for you, so you have no say. In fact you have probably have been on a talk show entitled "I call him master" Also I agree with Jane about associating with a stiff. You can say what you want I fully believe you are full of s**t