Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 18th, 2004, 02:30 PM
R Van

Default bringing wine aboard Y or N?

Okay I am new to all of this but can someone say positivley wheter or not you can bring wine aboard RCCL Serenade of the Seas? Hubby & I are wino's who know our bar bill will bankrupt us if we are buying by the bottle or even the glass. I have read that you can pack it, then I have read that it is confiscated. How do I know?
Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: bringing wine aboard Y or N?

From the RCI web site:
Quote:
Can I bring my own liquor onboard?
We apologize for any inconvenience but due to our regulatory and licensing requirements guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption or any other use.

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty-free from the Shops On Board or at ports of call will be stored by us and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of your voyage. A member of our staff will be at the gangway to assist with the storage of your purchases. Should you choose to consume alcoholic beverages purchased from the Shops On Board, a consumption fee will apply at the time of purchase. Note that no open liquor bottles will be permitted to be brought into dining areas or public areas.

This policy may not apply to every ship or itinerary depending on local laws, customs, or license requirements. Royal Caribbean is not responsible for fines imposed or items confiscated by local authorities.
From what I've read, in practice, that means that sometimes RCI will confiscate liquor you try to bring onboard, and sometimes they won't, and sometimes they won't even realize that you've violated the rules. How you handle the situation is, of course, a matter of your own integrity. Personally, I would declare the bottles you bring aboard and offer to pay the corkage fee ($10 per bottle, I think), which is what RCI charges for bottles of wine or liquor you bring into the dining room.

Old September 19th, 2004, 12:59 AM
pg

Princess allows you to bring wine on board " for in cabin consumption" so I wonder what " regulatory and licencsing requirments " RCI is under that Princess is not? It is just another way to make you spend money, fair enough, but I am glad I cruise Princess.
Old September 19th, 2004, 06:39 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: bringing wine aboard Y or N?

Princess definitely has a different policy as it pertains to brining wine on board, but the same general policy with respect to alcohol. It does make it clear that any alcoholic beverages that you do bring to dinner is subjet to the corkage fee.
Quote:
PRINCESS CRUISES PASSAGE CONTRACT

Carrier kindly requests that you do not bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free, from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call will be collected by Carrier personnel for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. A member of Carrier's security staff will be at the gangway to assist with the storage of your alcoholic beverage purchases. A corkage fee of $10.00 per bottle will be applied to wine and champagne consumed in the ship's restaurant.
While part of the difference could be simply a matter of policy, at least for now, remember that RCI has some Norway-flagged ships, as well as one UK-operated ship, so has to comply with laws of countries that Princess perhaps doesn't have to worry about.

Old September 20th, 2004, 01:57 PM
JaneMarlow

Each line seems to have a different policy. I am glad I chose Princess. I am not a big drinker, but am taking champagne and wine. I just don't feel like paying 30 bucks for a bottle of Turning Leaf on board.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 03:38 PM
Gerif

Wrap the bottles carefully in bubble wrap and put into a large ziplock bag - then pack them in your checked luggage - there should be absolutely no problem. Ask your cabin steward for wine glasses and an ice bucket - enjoy your wine in your cabin. If you want to bring it to the dining room, there will be a corkage fee charged.

Actually, on our last trip to Canada, DH found a wine at one of the port shops that he hadn't seen in many years, so bought a bottle - while we were not intending to consume it onboard, no one said a word about bringing it on.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 06:56 AM
R Van

Thanks so much for all of your time!