Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 8th, 2004, 11:11 AM
mypugbuddy

Default How much for suitcase handlers?

I know that on the ship I am travelling that tips are automatically placed on my card, but what about the guys who take my luggage from the hotel shuttle to the ship? How much is suggested for them?

If I get room service, am I to give a tip to the one who brings it? What about if you have someone give you a wake up call? Are there others who need tipping that aren't part of the automatic tipping policy?

Tammy
Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: How much for suitcase handlers?

Tammy

I tip the porter $2/per bag. For room service between $2-$5 depending on what you order. The last two cruises we were on wake up calls are done automatically by telephone, so no need to tip there. The only others I can think of is Camp counselors and for spa services.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old November 9th, 2004, 07:03 AM
Yeoman

Remarkably, the recommended tip for baggage handling is still a mere $1-$2 per bag. I typically split the difference and round-up to the nearest dollar, carrying $1, $2 and $5 notes sufficient for the amount of luggage I have.

One thing that struck me as strange was how my bags were taken from the airport to just outside my room, without a context to tip anyone. I was very puzzled about that, having had gone out of my way to fold up appropriate tips for the two "handlings" I was anticipating (one to the porter who got me my bags off the shuttle bus, and one to the longshoreman who took my bags so that they could make it onto the ship), but, rather, what I found was that I was asked to pu my luggage in a section of the bus pickup area myself, and then I didn't see them again until they were in the ship.

Leaving the ship was a bit more what I expected. The bus driver who took us back to the airport got a tip for handling my luggage there.

Old November 10th, 2004, 08:29 AM
mypugbuddy

Okay, thank you!