Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 18th, 2004, 06:28 PM
First Mate

Default Carnival now doing pre-paid tips on certain bookings

The specific sailings are:

Sailings from Barbados

Sailings from Aruba

Cruises to Nowhere.

There is no option to remove these not through Carnival, not on board or through your TA.

splendor of the seas
Sponsored Links
Old November 19th, 2004, 04:20 AM
duane

Default Re: Carnival now doing pre-paid tips on certain bookings

I think this is the way its gonna be in the future. I seen people standing in line to remove their tips. And years ago, I would see people not show up for the last night dinner so they wouldn't have to face the waiters that waited on them all week. What a shame.
Old November 19th, 2004, 08:06 AM
dawcruiser

Will probably go from a tip to a service charge. THEN pax will still give tips and tips will be expected above service charge in the future.

Don
Old November 19th, 2004, 01:43 PM
First Mate

Duane I got to agree it is a shame people don't tip but I have worked as a waiter and a bartender and it was a part of the job. I have a good memory and it was funny how someone could come in after you be sat, served and leave before you are served. Like they say money talks.

splendor of the seas
Old November 19th, 2004, 03:15 PM
duane

Ousoonerfan,
I know exactly what you mean. I have a buddy that I will not go out and eat with because he doesn't tip. His reason, "I can't afford it" THEN STAY HOME or go to McDonalds. I play golf with someone who's a bartender and if you think she breaks her butt to serve cheapskates they are mistaken. The waitresses tell each other who's a cheapskate. Your made before you sit down for your watered down drinks and cold food. My point, pony up! Service is better.
Old November 19th, 2004, 03:28 PM
First Mate

It looks like Carnival is targeting certain cruises that attract more than their fair share of non-tippers. Aruba and Barbados are commonly used by European tour operators, for whom tipping is not as customary. Cruises to nowhere and repo cruises must have a problem in this department, too. Perhaps that is why there are so many complaints about surly crew members on such trips. The crew knows they're going to get stiffed, so why bother?

Old November 19th, 2004, 04:01 PM
First Mate

When I was a bartender I worked in Las Vegas we were non-union and we got 72.20 a shift now that was 13 years ago. As soon as I moved the jobs paid 2.13 hr now I think it is 3.23 hr because tips are supposed to make up the difference. I know most employers will disagree with me but that should be against the minium wage laws. Minium wage is minium wage no finding a way not to pay it. It would be like my company saying we are going to pay you less per hour because your commission as a TA will make up the difference. With cruiselines since they come from Bahamas and other places they have to go by the laws in that country. But you will never change these people. Hey when I was delivering pizza smae thing...ever got a cold pizza since the 30 minute guarantee has been done away with...ever got the cheese all on one side. Yes we get our revenge. You have heard that you get what you pay for in the tipping world that is true.

splendor of the seas