CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Tipping (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/)
-   -   Tipping for the room service? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/300230-tipping-room-service.html)

Koshka February 1st, 2005 10:08 AM

Tipping for the room service?

When someone orders room service (for example breakfast) - is the tipping required?
If yes, how much is appropriate? Thanks!

cali-croozer February 1st, 2005 02:40 PM

Re: Tipping for the room service?

People normally tip $1-$2 when they order room service.

Tasha February 7th, 2005 12:18 PM

I have been wondering for ages why tipping room service is seperate from your tips added to your sign and sail card? Aren't they all just pooled and then doled out? I don't mind doing it but don't know why it isn't included with other tips. Is it your room steward that delivers room service or waiters or who?

lougee1043 February 7th, 2005 01:58 PM

if your cabin attendant dellivers your breakfast then i add a few bucks to the tip im going to give him at the end of the cruise----if its a room service waiter i tip at the time of delivery cause i may never see him again

room service tips are not part of the standard tips that are added to your cruise bill

AussieCruiser February 12th, 2005 09:20 PM

room service tips are not part of the standard tips that are added to your cruise bill

Where did this come from..??
I had been told that all room service tips were included in the overall tips ie. $10pp pd.

cali-croozer February 13th, 2005 04:24 PM

What cruiseline are you sailing with? If it's Carnival, room service is not included in the $10pp per day. Not sure about the other cruiselines.

mabo May 10th, 2005 09:10 PM

I always give the room service person at least 10 dollars each time they bring my breakfast order to me. If you dont tip them the first time,you will be the last on there list when you order room service again.

pg. May 15th, 2005 10:42 AM

TEN DOLLARS!!!!! gosh , I think you are nuts.
We have always just given the normal amount 2-3 dollars and we get our stuff just fine. I guess if you like to give your money away , go for it.

Amir764 January 3rd, 2006 04:36 AM

Old days

You know what we used to say back in the old days?... I will PM it in a sec.

Grdner January 26th, 2006 01:07 AM

tipping for the room service

On our last cruise our friends ordered room service every day and tried to tip the waiters but they wouldn't take it. this was on HAL. I was surprised to hear that

arwenmark January 26th, 2006 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tasha
I have been wondering for ages why tipping room service is seperate from your tips added to your sign and sail card? Aren't they all just pooled and then doled out? I don't mind doing it but don't know why it isn't included with other tips. Is it your room steward that delivers room service or waiters or who?

sometimes your steward delivers the items and then you do not need to tip but can. Many times it will be any off duty personnel looking to earn extra money, for instance the laundry personnel etc. So you should tip them how much depends on how much you ordered etc.

AAAAmerican.Com February 2nd, 2006 03:56 AM

Tips

TIPS to them as in any Dictionairy should be given for great services provided.

So yes ask when ordering how long it will be till the order arrives to your room and/or where you want it delivered to too...

Then when it arrives early as it usually does give the server a nice tip

Fern February 2nd, 2006 08:11 PM

I agree with arwenmark. It depends on what you order. For a "regular" room service breakfast we tip $3.00. If you order a complete meal, tip more. We consider ourselves good tippers, but would never tip $10.00 for a "regular" order. Something special, yes, but not for a normal breakfast order.

As arwenmark said, often the room service personnel are off duty from another job, looking to add some more to their income. So I suggest you tip whatever you are comfortable with.

We've never had our room service delivered by our room steward. We've always had wonderful service from the room service personnel.

BrianTom February 7th, 2006 02:05 PM

I have never tipped for breakfast service. Room service at night or unusual times I do. Breakfast in the room I consider to be part of the tips provided at the end of the trip.

I have noticed the service level has dropped since they went to the automatic tipping system where the gratuity is added to your bill at the end of the trip.

I feel that this system created a consistant pay check for the Room attendants. It is my guess that there are few guests going to the pursers desk to adjust the tip amount below the suggested amount charged.

CA Cruiser February 7th, 2006 02:18 PM

Room service tips are NOT included in auto tipping. The waitstaff who deliver room service are the ones in training to work in the dining rooms and lido decks. We always tip them a few dollars.

No we have not noticed service lacking since the auto tips began. I know the percentage of employees who got "stiffed" for a tip has gone down. We always talk to our cabin attendant every day, asking about their day, family and let them know we appreciate everything.

popsec June 15th, 2006 01:16 PM

If I can't afford to tip the room service person, I don't order. One evening I'd ordered a late night snack. To my chagrin I found that I had no ones for tipping. That lucky fellow got $10 because I'd rather overtip for good service rather than stiff someone who's working hard to make a living.

Desdemona01 July 14th, 2006 01:01 PM

we always tip for room service--$2 or $3 dollars depending on how big the order is

crew member September 8th, 2006 05:58 PM

You are talking about tipping for room service? Why you actually tip the guy or girl? Because he brought you a food...that is all right and I support that, but I want you to think who is the one who takes away those dirty trays, dirty dishes? Room service personel is not comming back for that...your cabin steward is the one who takes it all the way back to the galley...or at least it was like that on companies that I worked for...