Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 8th, 2005, 09:56 AM
BJones

Default New to Cruising worried about tipping

We are going on our first cruise in about a week. I was worried at first who to tip and how much then I got the booklet for the Royal Caribbian Cruise ....we are going on Monarch of the seas.

I did go to their website and read that you could pay all the tips at the end...I was wondering if you did this, does the staff on the cruise know this and not just think you have stiffed them a tip. How does the tipping work if you do it all at the end what kind of bill should I expect. We are on the ship for 5 days 4 nights.
I want to enjoy this cruise and be prepaired and I want the staff to get the tips they work hard for.

Any comments for this first time cruiser will be greatly appreciated. I just want to make sure we are doing things right.

Becky
Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: New to Cruising worried about tipping

Becky:

You should plan $10/pp per day. This amount is divided among your cabin steward, waiter, assistant waiter, etc. It doesn't cover room service or the camp counselors. A 15% gratuity is automatically added to all drinks so you don't have to worry about tipping the bartender. I just have the tips put on my sign and sail card and then tipped extra to those who went above and beyond in cash. I found this much easier than trying to come up with the recommended amounts on the last night in cash and getting the proper amounts in each envelope.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old February 8th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Yeoman

or if the line permits you can remove all tips from your cabin account and tip directly-which is what i do----minimums are 3.50 per day pp to the cabin attendant --3.50 per day to the steward and 2.00 per day per person to the asst waiter---i m certain people will expand on this further

Old February 8th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Both of the above posts are correct.. Just follow their words.. The easy way is to put the amount ($10 per day per person) on your "sign and sail" card.. That way you can forget about it and enjoy your trip. ..Your cruise is for four nights, so your tip amount would be $40 a person for the trip..Forget about the 5 day thing.. That just cruise ship talk so that it sounds like your getting more for your dollar.. It's a four night and a four day cruise.. Just $40 per person.. ($80 per couple) .. Will the crew know that you have tiped with the "sign and sail" card?? You bet they will know.. The front office will tell them.. Belive me, there are no secrets. They all KNOW.. Use the card and have a nice rip..OM