CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Tipping (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/)
-   -   Gratuities, 15%, Tips, Tips?? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/300239-gratuities-15-tips-tips.html)

CherieB February 19th, 2005 07:11 PM

Gratuities, 15%, Tips, Tips??

The cruise line charges you $10 per day, they are going to add 15% to your FREE room service which you will also TIPor next time they 'spit' in your food, they are going to add 15% to all your drinks & you also TIP the bartender or the next time you get a 'pinch' of rum, end of the cruise, you TIP everyone again....... people are not supposed to get upset about over tipping??? This IS over doing it. Oh I know, I have read it 100 x .... the wonderful service you receive... if everything is so wonderful, there wouldn't be a 'gripe' board :)

OLD MAN February 19th, 2005 08:11 PM

Re: Gratuities, 15%, Tips, Tips??

There is no 15% tip on room service... Just $10 per day and 15% on bar service.. I don't feel that your information is correct..OM

cali-croozer February 19th, 2005 08:52 PM

15% of a $0 bill for room service is $0............OLD MAN is right.

CherieB February 20th, 2005 02:50 AM

dear OLD MAN, I am so happy you are so wise, ty OM

isle February 21st, 2005 05:52 PM

thats what i thought. 15% of 0 is 0. now im nervouse, what is it going to cost me for 3 adults on this cruise in tips? we live on the lido deck, and dont do the dinning room. gotta love their breakfast and pizza. we dont drink alcohol is thats not a problem. tx to anyone.

cali-croozer February 21st, 2005 09:54 PM

What cruiseline? $10 per person, per day, is standard on most ships, regardless of if you use the dining room or not. The tips are pooled between all the wait staff (dining room and lido) and room staff (stewards and assistants). On some cruise lines, tips will be on your sail and sign account. The only other tips would be $1 or $2 when you order room service (yes, room service is free, but it is customary to tip), $1 per bag to the porter (at the dock), and any tips for taxis or tour operators. If you order non-alcoholic beverages (you said you don't drink), 15% will automatically be added to the bill on your sail and sign account.

Paul B February 22nd, 2005 11:13 AM

Re: Re: Gratuities, 15%, Tips, Tips??

Thanks for clearing the air, Cali.

Bruce Chafkin March 5th, 2005 05:30 PM

25 years ago the average tip was $19.75 per person per day.
Today it's less than half that much.

25 years ago nobody complained about the tips.

What has changed over that time period? The quality of the passengers.

Sweet Young HOTTIE March 11th, 2005 12:02 AM

u were crusing 25 years ago !?!?!?!?! wow, d00d, u must be really really old LOL HAHAHA

u should not cruise no more

Sweet Young HOTTIE

CherieB March 12th, 2005 08:35 AM

LOL he is the one you read about in the topic 'Geriatic cruise from hell' I don't think cruising is as 'classy' as it used to be. Sure there are the high $ ships out there for Mr Corporate & Mrs Stuffy but some of the cruise lines have made it afforable for families now. But to pay approx $6 a day for a waiter they never used is bull. Yes, I can afford it but not paying for something I didn't use and i don't think that money goes to the buffet crew, they get $1 a day and they prob work harder than the waiters. The ship is getting the $6, just not in the dining room