CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Tipping (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/)
-   -   Tipping your Travel Agent (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/300241-tipping-your-travel-agent.html)

Ceramicslover March 4th, 2005 04:51 PM

Tipping your Travel Agent

My TA has been very patient with me and my family for the past 3 years. I would try to book a cruise, but was never able to because somebody didn't like the rates, or someone else didn't like the cabins. You get the picture. I have called her numerous times and she would get the info and then I wouldn't be able to book. Finally this is the first time, that I have been able to follow thru and book our first cruise. I would like to tip her, but don't have the remotest idea of how much? Can anyone help me? She sure was patient and kind and never said no. Thanks!!

Fern March 5th, 2005 03:52 PM

Re: Tipping your Travel Agent

I've never heard of anyone tipping a TA with cash (it may happen, I don't get out much!), but many people bring them a gift after their cruise. If you know of something your TA likes (mine loves trying new wines), I think this kind of gift would be better than cash. My TA has also gotten flowers, fruit baskets, etc., but I think she likes the wine best! Some people bring souviners from their cruise, but really, she goes on so many cruises herself she has all the souviners she needs.

Dorothy March 5th, 2005 10:07 PM

I was thinking about wine too, Fern. My TA actually has a wine cork collection. I was thinking a nice bottle of wine might add to that collection! I thought about a gift (souvenir type), but she travels so much that I'm sure she has enough junk from the islands!

dorothy

Ceramicslover March 6th, 2005 04:44 AM

Thanks. I have Chatted with others on this subject, and normally they don't tip the TA, but for my circumstances, it is appropriate. We have decided to give her a gift certificate to a restaurant.. I don't know if she likes wine. I know I do!

Lori

MaryLou March 8th, 2005 05:16 AM

Ceramics: I'm sure your ta will enjoy the dinner very much. Another really great way to tip your ta is to be sure to recommend her services to everyone you know. A lot of ta's depend on referrals and that is the greatest "tip" in my book.

PapaBill March 8th, 2005 08:08 AM

Our Ta is a special young lady. The service she provides is "top shelf". Gram will usually buy her a nice gift at Christmas time and drop by the office with it. We do not tie it into any specific service or trip , just a general thank you for services provided by
a consumate professional and a lovely person.

Darcy March 11th, 2005 03:31 PM

I've sent a TA flowers before, but not a cash tip.

alicia68 March 14th, 2005 11:41 AM

Tipping your TA is a very nice idea. For her to do all that work for you and then for whatever reason not being able to book that cruise a small gift is a fantastic thank you. So many TA's have gone to the idea of a plan to go fee because of all the time they do spend researching and planning your trip for you then to be told you can't go or have found a better price on the internet that they can't afford to do all this work for free. I know for some people it may not seem like a lot of work but in busy seasons it can take upwards of a couple of hours on hold to get pricing, cabin assigments faxing back and forth etc etc. The idea of a small gift goes a very long way in letting your TA know how much you appreciate all the work they do for you. When I do my best to plan a vacation for a client the thing I really like to get from them is a postcard from their destination or a thank you card when they get home telling me what a great time they had!
Alicia

***edited to remove advertising***

Reece Oslinker May 16th, 2005 01:58 PM

It is nice to see how some people appreciate the work their agents do for them.
Speaking as an agent the best tips are letting all your friends , relatives etc know
how happy you were with your agent & to use them!!!
Also I like to receive a little note or email thanking me for helping plan their vacation
Those things are priceless
Thanks
Reece Oslinker
***edited to remove advertising***

Jillian20 December 19th, 2005 06:42 PM

Mistake

Read again those things you wrote, you might find some terrible misconceptions.

cyndi February 4th, 2006 07:31 PM

TA's and Appreciation

We love our TA. She is our age and has been in the business for 30 years. This year we booked another cruise with her and sent to other couples to her that booked with her. On our fist cruise with her, she sent us a bottle of wine to our table for our first dinner on board, plus there was a fruit basket waiting in our cabin. It made us feel very special. I thought that repeat business and sending her other couples would be enough.... is it?

Donna February 4th, 2006 08:02 PM

Hi Cindi,
I too think the best "tip" you can give your travel agent is repeat business and or referrals, there is nothing quite like a satified customer and by letting your friends know of her/him, is the nicest thing you can do IMHO.

lougee1043 February 10th, 2006 03:17 PM

thats crazy --- im giving my business to a ta not the reverse --they should tip me for using them ---ive heard that there are ta that send gifts to the pax cabin but that has never happened to me -- im only really interested in getting the best price possible for my cruise --really dont want to pay retail and then pay for the wine the ta is sending me

Magnolia Blossom February 15th, 2006 02:57 PM

It's all about perspective I guess. I have a service business and I have customers who appreciate the quality work we do and the times that we go the extra mile to meet their deadlines or out of the ordinary specs. Some of them show their gratitude with referrals, others with goodies or both. Likewise, I try to show my appreciation to those who've gone out of their way to serve me. Whether it's wine, flowers or a gift certificate for a spa service, it's my way of saying thanks. My TA has gotten me really good rates on hotels when even frugal-internet-searching fiend that I am couldn't find them. She's used her influence to get me transfers when the cruise lines said they were sold out. She has always sent wine to the table on formal night and we have gotten phenomenal upgrades at times. Oh yeh, and there was that time RCCL dropped my luggage overboard and she was there for us. Yeh, maybe I'm a chump for gifting someone for just doing their job, but in today's world where too many people don't come close to even doing their job, it's nice to reward the people who exceed my expectations.

ELOrocks17 March 24th, 2006 05:38 PM

Speaking as a TA, I can say the best tip you can give is repeat business.

Meercat March 30th, 2006 07:24 AM

Some might like to consider sending a note of appreciation/commendation to the TA's boss.

Writing things like '..... thanks to X's professionalism, we feel that we have found the one TA we can deal with again and again in the future' sends the message 'we're coming back for more' and also sends a messge to your TA's boss 'keep him/her - and make sure you keep him/her happy if you want repeat business'.

In addition to tipping onboard for Nursery staff - I sent a letter to the Line's Customer Service department saying how 'superb' the staff were. Customer Services wrote back to me saying that they were passing my letter on to the Captain of that ship. Whether they actually *do* or not is another matter. But at least you've done your bit to 'big 'em up' - which stands them in good stead when it comes to promotion time etc.