CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Tipping (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/)
-   -   15% on drinks (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/300245-15-drinks.html)

John44 March 21st, 2005 01:22 PM

15% on drinks

Why is their a surcharge on drinks even if I go to the bar and get them myself, I do not mind if the waiter brings them to me or I order via room service but consider it wrong to be charged otherwise.

ousoonerfanintexas March 21st, 2005 01:59 PM

Re: 15% on drinks

It is the way it is because they can. But if you go on Crystal they will only charge you for drinks that have alcohol in them.

pg March 22nd, 2005 11:48 AM

OK I do have to agree the 15% added to a bar drink that you get at the bar yourself( no waiter) is kind of sucky, but, what can you do? It's a good think we aren't huge drinkers so it doesn't affect us the way it would some.

pg March 22nd, 2005 11:48 AM

PS especially when all the bartender did was open a beer, not even mixing a drink!

ousoonerfanintexas March 22nd, 2005 12:54 PM

You do have an option don't go on a cruise or pay the "Big Bucks" to go on a luxury line.

gerif March 22nd, 2005 02:19 PM

If you go into a bar on land and order a drink, do you not tip the bartender?

pg March 22nd, 2005 03:27 PM

Actually if I go to the bar and get a drink I usaully just leave " the change" . Most bartenders have a "change cup" near their station, and it is generally filled with coins. Of course bartenders get paid better then waitresses. On ships it seems we have to supplement ridiculusly low wages.

BobBeaSea March 23rd, 2005 10:47 AM

Re: Re: 15% on drinks

This 15% is a service charge and it is standard on mass market ships as well as most land based resorts throughout the Caribbean and Mexico. All- Inclusive resorts have factored this charge into the cost of your booking. I tis also standard at some resorts in the U.S. and Canada.

pg March 23rd, 2005 02:54 PM

Bob, It is not "standard" in Canada, it may occur in a very few places, but, it is NOT standard. In fact it would be considered very unusaul, and most likely in only a very upscale resort, but then , in the nicer places here the staff is paid respectalbly.

I am aware of the tipping on ships, don't bother preaching to the converted, I just don't happen to think it makes sense in all cases. ( the 15% for opening a beer is one of them, especially when it is not even served to you by a waiter) .

Oursoonerfan, yeah I've heard your harp before. This is a gripe board, we don't all have to agree with you do we? We all know about more expensive lines, and we are not even travel agents. Amazing.

BobBeaSea March 24th, 2005 11:23 AM

pg, I said it was standard at SOME resorts in Canada, which it is. In no way did I say it was standard for the country as a whole. That said, this 15% "service charge" is creeping into our society more and more each day. Do I like it? Absolutely not. I'm in agreement with you on this issue.

Dorothy March 25th, 2005 10:06 AM

But.....we are talking about 15% of a $2.95-$6.95 drink? Right? Tip being somewhere between 44 cents and $1.00? I *get* the gripe in principal, but in reality that 44 cents-$1.00 doesn't mean a lot to me.

dorothy

pg March 25th, 2005 06:13 PM

Dorothy, I agree, it isn't the money, I just pay and shut up, but really it would be nice if the gratuity was reduced for self serve bar service. I realize that would be hard to do, so this is a go nowhere gripe, just a vent I suppose.

PeterV May 30th, 2005 09:18 AM

Actually it would be better if the drinks were priced with the gratuity included, instead of added on..

I always like how they say that they add the 15% gratuity for your convenience. I don't ever think I asked for that convenience. LOL

Cheers,
Peter

mabo May 31st, 2005 09:36 PM

Just have a goodtime, people worry about the smallest things. after a few drinks you will not even think about the gratuity

Flower June 15th, 2005 12:33 PM

These 15% usually go to a pool and get distributed between the whole bar/wine stuff- including your tea-time server, deck steward, etc...usually are the main part of their earnings onboard( in addition to small salary). Just another way that the cruise lines use not to pay the servise personell itself.

Flower June 15th, 2005 12:38 PM

Crystal guests are the BEST people to work with!