Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Passenger

Default tipping the kids crew

Is it customary to tip the kids crew when you leave your kids in the kids area?

Benita
Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2005, 05:36 PM
cali-croozer

Default Re: tipping the kids crew

This is one of those things that's up to you. The camp counselors are salaried, as opposed to the cabin stewards/staff and wait staff, who depend on tips for most of their income. I've read posts where people have tippped the counselors $10 per day and others who have not tipped at all. There's no right or wrong here. If you want to tip, go for it. If you don't, don't worry about it.
Old April 13th, 2005, 12:39 PM
pg

If my kids had a good time and were well treated and cared for I would think the stafff were due a tip, I mean you tip a bartender who opens a beer bottle for you, so aren't your kids more precious then a drink, of course they are. To keep good motivated staff in these programs it is nice for them to think they may get a little something extra!

Also, my boys when little were a bit of a handful, so I always tipped a babysitter or daycare worker a little something just to show tha I apprieciated their efforts.
Old April 15th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Beginner

We tipped the last night of Camp Carnival ... I believe the counselors pool the tips and split them, at least that's what we had heard. It was hard to tip just one or two because it wasn't always the same one in the room the whole time. We had one daughter in the 2-5 group and one in the 6-8 so we just put money in an envelope and gave them to the person who signed our kids out with us at the end of that last night of camp ...
Old August 21st, 2005, 05:24 PM
Passenger

I am glad to have found this thread b/c I had never thought of tipping the RCI kids' staff until the last night of my last cruise (last week) when I saw a man hand one of the staff a tip. I know they are salaried, but is it a decent salary or would they need tips to make it so? Also, how do you know if they pool them--like someone said, there are different ones working with the different groups throughout the cruise, and you can't tip them all! So would it be appropriate to just go to one of the staff that I saw a lot and say "Here's something extra, do you pool your tips" or something like that? I'm not looking for MORE people to tip but these youth staff make our cruise fantastic b/c of the care they give the kids. So I'd be interested in hearing opinions on this! Thanks, Pam

Grandeur of the Seas August 2005
Old December 4th, 2005, 12:49 AM
Beginner

I worked in the kids club on Carnival about eight years ago. It was great when we got tips or a simple thank you "our child had a great week".

It made me feel as if I made a difference in your child's life giving them a great vacation; when you think a kid’s staff did a good job tell them with a tip or a drink or a "thank you". :o
Old December 7th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Captain

We always tip the Camp Carnival staff. Our youngest loves the program so much that Camp is her most important part of vacation. If not for Camp Carnival she would likely not want to go on a cruise but rather a land based vacation. This year the staff was good we left a $50 tip at the end of the week. Last year the staff was awesome we left a $100 tip at the end of the week. The way I look at it is that I pay $150 a week at home for decent child care that is safe and efficient, this program is exciting and lasts for twice as long each day and is so exciting and varied. These girls and guys deliver great care with a smile and there job is not easy.
Old December 23rd, 2005, 10:07 PM
Passenger

We took our grandkids to Alaska on NCL Spirit. The Kids Crew did a fantastic job entertaining our 5 year old grandson and his 11 year old sister. They couldn't wait to return for the activities. My husband tipped the staff $100.00 for the week. (A small price for the smiles on their faces after a session with the Kids Crew)