Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 29th, 2005, 03:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default tipping

Do most people tip more than the suggested amount...how much more.....asst waiter gets 2.00 per day, 12 days 48.00 for a couple...how much, 20.00, 25.00? AND do people really not tip at all?
Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2005, 09:56 AM
sailgirl

Default Re: tipping

We usually just tip the suggested amount. We are a family of 5 and we have a tight budget. I have been told on these boards that it is fine to tip only the suggested amount. We don't ask for any special treatment or extras. Last year we did give our waiter an extra $10 because he served us our own wine (from home) and never charged us the uncorking fee. We felt this warranted a little payback as he saved us more than that . Enjoy!
Old May 30th, 2005, 06:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to PeterV Send a message via Yahoo to PeterV

You'll find most posters here will state they always tip over and above what the cruiselines recommend, along with tipping for everything that anyone ever might have done for someone at sometime.

They'll tip people 10 & 15 for room service, tip the dining room staff even if they never eat there.

They'll also recommend that you tip in the alternative dining, even though it has a service charge.

There are even some who will state that you should tip even if you don't get good service and have to keep repeating a request to your steward over and over.

If you don't tip then you will be classified as cheap, mean spirited, etc, just beacuse it is the way they see things. It doesn't matter if their culture isn't one for tipping.

Cheers,
Peter

Old May 31st, 2005, 05:01 AM
Godzilla

Question: Do people not tip at all??

Answer: yes, there are many who do not tip anything at all, most people on forums like this will say they do and some of them tip extra up front (usually $10 or $20) because they think they will get better service, though there is no guarantee you will get better service for it!
Some will tell you they tip extra at the end because they had such wonderful service, if you tip the recommended amount and do not wish to add extra that is up to you... I advocate waiting til you're on the cruise and decide then.

Those that don't tip don't usually admit to it but they are out there, more than most people realise.
Old June 5th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Le Anne

Tipping is for service. I don't like the forced tipping on NCL since I think this does lead to a decline in service. I usually tip the recommended amount unless sevice is either exceptional or exceptionally poor.
Old June 11th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

I think that the "forced" tipping policy of NCL will be the standard policy of all of the cruise lines in the near future. (18 months).. The cruise lines need all of the tip money that they can get and this will be the way that they will get it. (no stiffs)..OM
Old June 14th, 2005, 09:39 AM
First Mate

Peter, do you take the cultural thing to extremes by driving on the left-hand side of the road everywhere, or do you realize that when you are outside of your home culture, you might have to adapt to fit the culture you are visiting?

Old June 15th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I tip the recommended amount and then, depending on service, tip some staff more at the end. On our last cruise we tipped the assistant waitress an extra $20. She took over for our waiter on one night as he was ill, made sure my husband had the kind of bread he liked each night (once they didn't have it in the basket and she went and got some), gave us some great advise about things to see and do both on the ship and in port and in generally was a very good waitperson. On our cruise in April 2004 we ended up tipping our room steward, waiter and assistant waiter all $20 more. They we fantastic. We traveled with our children and our room steward made each child a towel animal every night and our waitstaff made sure the kids liked everything they ordered, had the kids up dancing with them, and generally made our dining experience fun.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old June 15th, 2005, 11:44 PM
TokyoRose

Yes Les there are people who do not tip at all. I and my family are one of them. I pay enough for my cruise to have any additional charges. I don't drink at the bars and rarely buy photos. My onboard spending is never more than $100 and sometimes much less than that.
Old June 16th, 2005, 09:46 AM
First Mate

Of course, we all know TokyoRose cruises on a premium line where tips and most drinks are included. Therefore, all costs are paid up front. She likes to post these kinds of messages to get every mad at her.

Old June 16th, 2005, 10:46 AM
TokyoRose

I am sooooo glad you know what lines I cruise on or why I post. Actually I was answering the question. I have never yet cruises on a "premium" cruiseline as their itinerraries and schedules do not mesh with our lifestyle. We have cruised on Carnival, Princess, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.
Old June 16th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: tipping

Tokyo, are you still going to cruise when all the lines start automatically adding tips to your account that can't be removed?
Old June 16th, 2005, 03:10 PM
TokyoRose

So far that has not happened except with NCL. With Carnival and Princess, I go right down to the purser's desk the first or second day and prompty have the charges removed.
Old June 17th, 2005, 08:16 AM
First Mate

I might have missed my guess on your choice of cruise line, but my assessment of the reason you post as you do is spot on.

Old June 17th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Yeoman

TokyoRose..........You lit the fire once again!
I thought by now you would have changed your ways, but guess I was wrong.
You have yet to answer the question.
What are you gonna do when it is mandatory and not voluntary?

FYI, some of your fare does go to thier salary already. It is only a few pennies turst me.
but does that bother your too?
Old June 17th, 2005, 12:17 PM
TokyoRose

No CO, the reason I post is to answer a question. Once again you are spot wrong.

And momx4. Gratuities have never been mandatory otherwise they are known as service charges. I do not speculate on the what if. I only comment on the right now.

Yes I am well aware that my fare goes to crew salaries as with any business. I am and will not be obligated to add any more. The crew on many ships is gauranteed far more than they can make in a month in their home country. I am not going to add to their pay by paying a gratuity.
Old June 17th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Yeoman

well, this is one future service charge that many would not mind paying.
I don't think our conscienses would allow us not to.
Old September 1st, 2005, 11:29 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to DreaminBig

When I left on my Hal cruise I had thought that everyone tipped above and beyond the 10 dollars per day if they had service above and beyond. Boy was I wrong. Many I spoke with were not going to leave a tip at all. They all had fantastic room attendents. As it was my first cruise I was so unsure of how much to leave so I just gave him 10 dollars for every full day I was there.We were two in our room. It only came to fifty dollars but if he got that from most they would make much better wages. I sure hope anyone who doesnt tip reads this and reconsiders just how much work these ppl do to make your cruise pleasant.
Old September 1st, 2005, 01:28 PM
NEW LIBERTY

TIPPING IS FOR SERVICE RECEIVED PERIOD. BAD SERVICE POOR TIP !
Old September 1st, 2005, 02:45 PM
First Mate

Whatever Rose tells you to do, do the opposite unless you want to wind up by the engine room with a smoky smell in your room.

splendor of the seas
Old September 2nd, 2005, 06:41 AM
annoyed

tipping is rubbish
Old September 13th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Beginner

Default why even bother tipping?

....just pay the service charge.
Old October 12th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Beginner

Shame on anyone who stiffs the service workers. What comes around goes around and you will get yours one day. Make sure to tell your room steward and your server about your no tipping ethic.

I wouldnt eat anything or use your toothbrush!
Old November 5th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Do not worry.. Soon the tips will be on your "sea" card and there will no need to have this form any more..OM
Old November 5th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Tipping is rubbish what exactly do you mean by that?

When you are in a specific country you need to adopt what their culture is whether that is tipping or no tipping so not to offend the locals then that is what you do. Being someone who has traveled extensivly all over the world I adopt my clothes, speech, and habits to what is appropriate for that country out of respect for their cultures. Just like on a cruise ship is no different our behaviors should be adapted to show respect for people and their various cultures.
Old November 5th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

T. Rose,
The service people who work for tips, do not get any part of our fare, therefore the tips are for them, that is how they make money. Where would you get the idea that they get any part of our cruise fare??

I know tipping is a sore subject for you, but here, when we cruise we pay the tips either through automatic tipping or the old fashioned way, with cash at the end of the cruise. Either way, you can add or deduct depending on the service you receive, its very simple.

Message Boards Moderator