CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Tipping (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/)
-   -   tipping (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/300256-tipping.html)

aaa June 25th, 2005 09:37 PM

tipping

I Go cruising to see different Places i think it is up to the cruise lines who make more money than any of us put together. to pay decent wages instead of ripping off the workers. so i don't tip. if the staff wanna be ripped off it's up to them. no one tips me in my job they know how much they will be getting when they get the job they can always work somewhere else if they wish if al the snobby Americans wanna tip then fine but i am a British Cruiser who does not wanna tip i also don't expect any one to go out of there way for me but if they want to thats up to them but they will not get a tip guaranteed

Paul B June 26th, 2005 01:07 PM

Re: tipping

But what are you going to do when all the main line cruise companies make the tips manditory on the sign and sail account?

You can always cruise the lines where everything including tips is included, but you will pay much more.

Godzilla June 27th, 2005 01:22 AM

'but i am a British Cruiser who does not wanna tip'

You won't be alone aaa, there are many others all over the world, including Americans, who also don't tip... no matter how many hundreds of threads out there debate the merits.

'when all the main line cruise companies make the tips manditory on the sign and sail account'

My thought is this will happen sooner rather than later to cater for people like aaa who have no idea what they're paying the tips for
or those who just don't want to cough up the extra dough and can get away with it (and as I've said before there are plenty of the latter! and these people are not just restricted to the non tipping custom countries).

rosetattoo June 27th, 2005 08:41 AM

Tipping on a cruise ship, fine with me, they work hard and deserve every penny. What bothers me is walking into a Dunkin Donuts for a coffee and having a big tip jar sitting on the counter, we're already paying a premium for that cup of coffee, the staff is making at least minimum wage....pretty soon there will be tip jars next to every cash register in the grocery stores....tipping is getting out of hand in the good old U.S.A.

grod June 27th, 2005 02:32 PM

tipping should be for service above and beyond. If someone on the boat goes out of their way and does more then they are expected to do then I feel a few bucks is warranted. One night they wanted to close the piano bar, we wanted to hear more music so the bar itself closed but the piano player offered to stay and play a little more. We threw him a few bucks for his time. Does the guy that just does what he is paid to do deserve a tip? no.

Cruzdiver July 31st, 2005 10:05 AM

This subject is so boring at times. I have never responded to one before. ** i just sit and shake my head when reading**

Do you NOT tip a waitress in a restaurant ? I cannot believe someone no matter what nationality would object to the 10.00 a day tip. These people clean up after you all week, wait hand and foot on you at breakfast, lunch and dinner. They add to your vacation experience. It is a total disrespect to stiff them.

now *if* you did not recieve any service or had issues they should have been directed to the proper people and allowed to be corrected.

I hope they do make it mandatory then you will have to go to the customer service desk and file your complaints and show your face for your stingyness (sp). While it will not affect those that willingly comply.

CA Cruiser July 31st, 2005 11:20 AM

Well said Cruzdiver!!

aaa - no one tips you for your job....are you in the service industry? You KNOW when you go on a cruise that these employees work for tips, why treat them so poorly or ridicule their choice of a job. I hope tips will be added on to our cruise price. Since we are already paying tips, it will not affect us and if we want to give more to someone special we can.

What constitutes "bad service"? I guess we have been fortunate to never experience it.

Darcy August 1st, 2005 02:22 PM

I agree with rosetattoe about the tip jars at Dunkin Donuts. I too think that tipping in the USA has gotten out of hand. I do tip waitresses and/or waiters in restaurants, but very few others. As the cruise staff are part of the service industry they deserve their tips.

CruisinOkie August 1st, 2005 03:44 PM

Personally, I think Mr. or Ms. aaa's parents take care of the tipping, and everything else, but that might be a bit presumptive since I find it hard to believe anyone educated in the UK can have such poor communication skills.

The old saying is, when in Rome, do as the Romans. Tipping is a fact of life on most cruise lines. Regardless of your customs at home, the custom on board ship is to tip those who serve you at a level commensurate with the level of service provided. Stiffing a cabin steward or dining room waiter because some barista thinks it's all right to place a jar by the cash register cannot be justified.

PeterV August 4th, 2005 11:25 AM

As I've stated before on this topic, it is a custom as long as people play. Once you stop playing it is no longer a custom.

It doesn't seem like a hard choice to me if paying a going rate of pay is $140 per cabin per week. This added to the cruise fare makes it a lot easier to justify a tip to someone who is truly outstanding.

The one thing I will never understand is why you should tip at a restaurant based on the amount you spend. It takes the same effort to deliver a grilled cheese sandwich as it does a filet mignon.

Cheers,
Peter

CruisinOkie August 4th, 2005 01:54 PM

Peter, I agree with your sentiments, but who is getting hurt while the game is being changed? Remember, too, that the $10 is split between hotel (cabin service) and food service. The going rate is more like $49 per cabin per week. Even with just 12 cabins, that's not bad although the nearly 24/7 nature of the job would be trying. There are much worse ways to try and make a living.

ousoonerfanintexas August 4th, 2005 02:49 PM

I say AAA stay in GB

H and A August 4th, 2005 04:31 PM

The money has to come from somewhere. If cruises adopt a no tipping policy then the cruise prices will just go up the $10 per day you are tipping. Then there really will be no option.

As it is now you have the option of adjusting the tip at the end of the cruise. We usually adjust it up for everyone because the service is so good. We have only adjusted in down for 2 people in all our cruises. If you cant afford the $10, or it irks you in any way, then perhaps you shouldnt be spending money on a cruise? No one should cut a budget that close.

PeterV August 5th, 2005 12:08 PM

Re: Re: tipping

H and A, that's exactly what I mean. When you start reading all the comments on here about tipping most of them keep harping on about wanting the choice, then extol the virtues of how much extra they tipped as well.

So what would be the difference if the crew were actually paid a living wage instead of needing to rely on the kindness of strangers?

I am tired of reading about how hard the crew works, and how they really need the tip money. I agree they do work hard, but I am tired of being told I HAVE to TIP, that I am cheap or mean if I don't.

When I HAVE to do something it is not a gratuity!

The actual people who are being cheap and mean are the cruise lines for hiring these people on and paying them so little and expecting guilt to provide the wages.

Cheers,
Peter

PeterV August 5th, 2005 12:11 PM

Re: Re: tipping

ousoonerfanintexas, what can I say? Your comment is so informative and adds so much to the discussion.

Cheers,
Peter

H and A August 5th, 2005 01:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: tipping

[bold]PeterV Said[/bold]
So what would be the difference if the crew were actually paid a living wage instead of needing to rely on the kindness of strangers?

[bold]Reply[/bold]
Service would decline, that much is obvious. If no part of you wage relies on the quality of your service you donít have the incentive to go the extra mile. 9 out of 10 people on this board seem to rate cruise service consistently excellent.

[bold]PeterV Said[/bold]
I am tired of reading about how hard the crew works, and how they really need the tip money. I agree they do work hard, but I am tired of being told I HAVE to TIP, that I am cheap or mean if I don't.

[bold]Reply[/bold]
Most of the major cruise lines tipping policy is a SUGGESTION it is not a must. They may add it on but you can take every bit of it off at the end of your cruise if you want.

[bold]PeterV said[/bold]
When I HAVE to do something it is not a gratuity!

[bold]Reply[/bold]
Once again it is not MANDATORY on most cruise lines. You can adjust up or down at the end. If you have some form of personal embarrassment about doing this then that is you fault.

[bold]PeterV said[/bold]
The actual people who are being cheap and mean are the cruise lines for hiring these people on and paying them so little and expecting guilt to provide the wages.

[bold]Reply[/bold]
By paying a good wage upfront and making cruise lines a no tipping zone ala' all inclusive resorts, the service would decline. Go to any all-inclusive resort (tips included) and compare the service to a cruise line. It cant compare.

If they pay employees more where do you think that money will come from? Its first year economics. Either you are going to pay $400 for a 5 day cruise and tip $50, or the cruise lines are going to pay employees more and you are going to pay $450 and not have to tip. Then you REALLLY donít have a choice and the service will be worse. Even though itís the same amount I guess that wont make you angry because its not called a tip.

OLD MAN August 6th, 2005 11:27 AM

So in about 9 months there will not be any need to have any posts about tipping... All of the cruise lines will put your tips on your "sail card" and it will not be removeable. So the tips will be prepaid and there will be no stiffs. Everybody will tip and everybody will get their money.. Neat.. OM

PeterV August 6th, 2005 03:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: tipping

H and A, I don't think service is any different than it was, but my comments are purely on the reaction that is received when people talk about tipping on this and other boards is that you have to tip. If you don't tip, you are either cheap or mean.

I must admit I am still trying to figure out the type of service people require. I want my room cleaned and my drinks and meals served. That is all I require. I tip based on that expectation as well. Do what you are supposed to and get your tip, don't do it and your tip is reduced. If tips were included, then complaints would be in order then.

I also fully realise that if tips are included, the cruise cost goes up by $10 per day.

Cheers,
Peter

Cruz< August 24th, 2005 08:19 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: tipping

I am with aaa and Peter. The tipping culture is getting out of hand. We all feel compelled to tip when someone does a good job - that should be enough. As for preserving high levels of service, there are all manner of 5 star establishments around the world, for example, in Asia, Africa, Middle East etc, where tipping is not part of the culture and the service is impeccably first class. Obviously for service like that it is a pleasure to tip particularly when you know it is not "compulsory". I suggest you get a copy of Carnival or RCCLīs public accounts and see what they rake in before you back tipping as a measure of quality control and supplemental employee income. You will see that your defence of the tipping culture only ensures the corporates get bigger profits at the expense of the workers.

Ron & Jon August 24th, 2005 09:06 AM

In our travels abroad, you will have noted that most establishments add a service charge to your dinning or bar bills. That is a charge for service. The ten dollar a day charge applied to your shipboard account is not a gratuity nor a tip, It is a service charge, pure and simple. I wish the lines would just call it that. So please try not to relate it to "tipping".

Since the introduction of this charge, the crewmembers have had to commence paying for things like uniforms and accommodation. As many service people have told us, it was felt the service charge would more than offset their cost and result in additional income for them. From what we have heard, we doubt this system is achieving this.

By accepting the daily charge for what it is, we then turn to our gratuities (from the French: gratituude). When we find something exceptionally done for us, we tip. We tip when we want things like ice brought to our cabins at odd hours. We tip at the bars when the service brings enjoyment to our evening not just drinks. And we tip the housekeeping and dinning room staff if they have added to the enjoyment of the cruise.

Everyone knows when they have been made to feel special and have enjoyed service over and above expectation. These are the times when a gratuity is in order.

PeterV August 24th, 2005 12:34 PM

Well Ron&Jon they don't call it a service charge and do call it a gratuity/tip and also state that it is at the discretion of the passenger. The day they call it a service charge is the day that it is one, until then it is a gratuity/tip.

Also, if they are going to mandate a service charge, then it should become part of the fare and not a separate charge.

That is pretty logical to me anyway.

Cheers,
Peter

Thomas August 26th, 2005 08:32 PM

Sheeeeesh, you are going to pay their wages in one form or another (unless you're a cheapskate like my BIL who won't tip anybody). Would you rather pay it in the form of higher ticket prices or by handing them cash?

Just pick one!

Regards,
Thomas

Ron & Jon September 4th, 2005 01:45 PM

The problem of tipping or non tipping in the international dining and accommodation industry was solved simply by adding on a service charge to one's account. Why the cruise line did not do likewise and call it that is beyond us. They separately add Port Charges , Airport Charges, Transfer Fees, Flight Deviation charges, etc., so why not Service Charge. By calling the latter a tipping system and then making it voluntary was ludicrous.

The travel industry does not want to add all these charges into the fare prices for fear they will be judged by the public as being that much more expensive. So they list these things separately, and only after giving you the "cruise price".. But you still have to pay the total amount one way or the other.

Recently our govenment mandated that when the travel industry states a price for something, a cruise for example, the amount must be the total of the fare plus ALL these other charges so we know just what we are being asked to pay. We think this was a great step in price honesty.

CruisinOkie September 7th, 2005 08:54 AM

I do not understand the logic that concludes that paying a decent wage will result in poor service. I, and expect most others who post here, receive a wage for the work they perform. I have no problem going "the extra mile" when the circumstances call for additional effort, and I know that I am NOT unique in that regard. I don't have to be tipped to perform above minimum standards. After all, there are other benefits - promotions, raises, and even bonuses that kick in when the efforts of everyone I work with produce extraordinary results.

Why are so many so inclined to believe that the work ethic will go away if wages are improved? As long as unions don't get involved, and punish those who perform above the minimum standard, a decent wage should attract a higher caliber of employee. Or am I just blowing sunshine?

PeterV September 9th, 2005 10:52 AM

I never understand the mentality of this discussion, raise the fares by $10 per day and be done with it, then if you want to tip for extra-special deluxe treated like royalty-bend over backwards service then do it.

But to keep saying that you always tip more and never not tip, then what bloody difference does it make.

Cheers,
Peter

luv2cruise99 September 15th, 2005 12:02 PM

I like the idea of just raising the fares by $10 per day and being done with it, if we could really be "done with it". But I think in reality one of two things will happen:

1) Some people will tip extra either because they didn't know that tips were included or because they are being generous. Overtime, I think the expectation may become that EVERYBODY should tip extra and those who don't will be labeled as cheap by both the crew and other passengers. We'll be right back to the same problem that we have now.

2) Another possibility is that some of the extra-friendly treatment that people have become accustomed to may disappear if there is no expectation of a reward at the end. I'm easy to please, serve me my food and clean my cabin and I'm happy so I wouldn't mind this a bit. But I think that those who like to feel that they have made lifelong friends with their waiters or who feel special because he remembers their name and their drink preferences will be disappointed to find that this level of service disappears when the tips are no longer discretionary.

I would be interested to see what happens overtime with the mandatory service charge that NCL is imposing. If it works for them, then it would probably work for other cruiselines, but from what I have read so far on these boards, many people are confused by this system and question whether they should tip more in addition to the service charge. This is my fear of what would happen if tips were paid as part of the cruise fare, especially since as part of the cruise fare (as opposed to a mandatory service charge as NCL is doing), it would be even less obvious that tips were already paid.

Paul B September 15th, 2005 06:21 PM

Those are my exact same thoughts on the matter. I don't mind the $10 a day service charge, and I do give a little extra the last day if I feel it is merited.

My waiter on my last Princess cruise told me that he is notified of which passengers have tipped automically. If he recieves extra from those passengers, he can keep the money. If he is gaven a tip by someone who has not done it automatically, he has to turn the money in.

luv2cruise99 September 16th, 2005 06:04 PM

NCL eliminates service charge

I just read in a Pride of Aloha review on the NCL boards that the mandatory service charge has been eliminated and tipping is now totally voluntary. If this is true, than it would appear that NCL's mandatory tipping policy didn't work as well as they expected.

http://www.cruise-forums.com/forum/v...c.php?t=541494

bplazo October 12th, 2005 07:00 PM

Make sure to tell your server and your room steward that you do not tip. Receive the service that you deserve.

joanandthane November 17th, 2005 05:58 AM

Although we who work in the tipping industry have to put up with people like aaa, and we have a few words that aaa might stand for, we know the amount of work that we have to do for the customers so therefore we respect the amount of work that those others have to do for us when we require their services.
Many is a time that as a blackjack dealer I have sucked down your horrible smoke, wiped up your spilled drink and have to put up with a soggy table, listen to your stupid jokes and dont get me started about the drunks! All for what? After I have dumped my tray, ( given you alot of winning hands/money) for no tip what so ever. We put up with a H*LL of a lot for nothing but the hopes that you might show some type of gratitude.
My wife is a hairdresser so therefore in the tipping industry too. Why don't you sit in her chair, tell her first that you are not going to tip her and then ask her to cut your hair. By the way, she is British, born and raised!