Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 26th, 2005, 05:25 PM
MaureenR

Default Tipping on Carnival Legend

We're going to be taking our first cruise as a family of 4, 2 adults, 2 little kids. I was told that $10 a day would be taken out of our Sign & Sail (shipboard account) each day for EACH of us.. kids too. Personally, I don't want to tip upfront.. I would much rather tip based on the service I feel I've received. I plan to get the *instant gratuities* removed off our S&S card when we board the ship. Without getting FLAMED by all you die-hard-tippers out there... I want to know if anyone HAS DONE THIS and whether they were heavily drilled by the purser with horrid questions when they asked to have the gratuities removed ?? Also.... someone commented earlier that they always tip cause they don't want the waiter putting boogers in their dinner, etc.. My question would be, HOW DOES THE WAITER KNOW that you had the gratuities removed off your account? Do they have access to this information during your cruise? If so, does this mean the cabin stewards, etc also have access to this personal information?
Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Bruce Chafkin

Default Re: Tipping on Carnival Legend

Maureen,

The answer to your question is a very simple one.
Very few passengers opt to remove the auto tips.
The list of names / cabins removing the tips on a 7-day cruise can be as few as 10.
The Purser's Desk will normally ask why you want to remove the tips; if service quality is involved, we want to know about it as soon as possible.
This list is published every day to all ship hotel department heads.
They review the list and inform their staff who and why the tips were removed.
Old June 27th, 2005, 02:41 PM
gerif

Sounds like you really don't want to have to tip at all but want to avoid having those servers who are about to be stiffed know about it. Pretty darned tacky if you ask me. These people depend on tips to make a living - and they work very hard for it. Do you behave the same way in restaurants? Now, of course, if you feel the service is so poor as to not warrant a tip (which I have never encountered, but it could exist), then by all means have the tip removed, but at least be honest about it.
Old June 30th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Why don't you leave it on your S&S card, and if service is bad, have it removed before you leave the ship.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 04:18 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to AAAAmerican.Com

Tipping should in my humble opinion and any/or any dictionary shows be given for above and beyond normal services provided ...

On the Carival Legend we had good services provided by the room and wait staff. Yes we do tip very well when thye do services well.

I do oppose having tips automatically withdrawn.. as in the days prior the funds for tipping were given in person , which means more to the staff also...

What would you rather do say a job well done and give then=m currancy (USD&$) or cast your US Liberty Silver Dollars and/or American Golden Eagles into the deep blue oceans..?

PS: By the way Carnival Legend was a nice surprise the food finally went to PAR with other lines... maybe one day they will also have ReAL Garlic and CheeseCake...
Old February 3rd, 2006, 04:18 PM
Yeoman

on hal the 10.00 p/p per day is split among different people- if you wish to tip more to an individual you may do so and they get to keep the whole tip for themselves-----------if you remove the auto tip and tip cash to an individual they are required to turn that cash in to replace the auto tip that you removed

Old February 3rd, 2006, 05:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
as in the days prior the funds for tipping were given in person , which means more to the staff also...
Actually, what the staff prefer is to get their tips. Prior to automatic tipping 18% were stiffing their wait staff, so the staff prefer the present system which has reduced the "stiff rate" considerably.

They know you tipped, and appreciate the personal thankyou and and handshake.
Old March 4th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Beginner

I believe that the dining room and cafe staff [usually staffed in part by DR wait/busy folks] will have this information.

I have been cruising since 1967 and it was hard for me to break the last night tip and handshake. Slowly, I have taken to heart what the cruise lines say about 'prepaid' or daily tipping, that it, "...insures that all wait staff will be recognized...". Then I realized how to be fair in tipping the dining room staff and the casual buffet staff? Our evenings are half in the formal dining room and the other in the buffet. I thought it might be tacky to reduce the dining room tips and then how to graciously leave something for the cafe wait person who helps in the buffet with drinks, etc., and then what is the appropriate amount?

I do let the wait staff, Restaurant Manager and Maitre 'D know that I am a repeat passenger will a few special requests. That way they know that if I may ask for a bit more, they will be taken care of for their extra efforts. This allows me to present the Dining Room staff with something extra on the last night. Sometimes we enclose a person note of thanks in their envelope. I sign the envelope, list my cabin number on the outside and seal the envelope.
Old March 24th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Beginner

I disagree. The whole point of tipping is to reward service people for going above and beyond. By auto-tipping, the service staff knows they already have your money, so there is absolutely no incentive to go above their job description. What if I went into Denny's and told the waitress that i was giving her a $2 tip regardless of how good she is...do you think that will motivate her to go out of her way to provide outstanding service? Service workers by nature hate getting stiffed, so they make sure they do whatever they can to get a good tip.
Old June 15th, 2006, 01:12 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17
I disagree. The whole point of tipping is to reward service people for going above and beyond. By auto-tipping, the service staff knows they already have your money, so there is absolutely no incentive to go above their job description. What if I went into Denny's and told the waitress that i was giving her a $2 tip regardless of how good she is...do you think that will motivate her to go out of her way to provide outstanding service? Service workers by nature hate getting stiffed, so they make sure they do whatever they can to get a good tip.
I guarantee that the wait staff at Denny's make much more per hour wages than the cruise staff does. Tipping is the cruiseline's way of keeping the cruise affordable. I just figure the cost of tips into the overall cost of the cruise.
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
10/29/06 11 nite NCL Spirit
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
May 14-25th, Carnival Fascination...3 B2B's
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
1/18/08 Carnival Miracle (Platinum on this one!)
2/25/08 Fascination
4/21 & 4/26/08 B2B on the Imagination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B