CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Tipping (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/)
-   -   Cabin Steward (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/300262-cabin-steward.html)

southernbelle July 19th, 2005 05:40 PM

Cabin Steward

If I leave a tip for MY cabin stewart - does he/she get to keep that tip or is it put into a pool of sorts?

PapBill July 20th, 2005 08:11 AM

Re: Cabin Stewart

That will depend on the cruise line and their tipping policy. Generally they get to keep it.

BobBeaSea July 20th, 2005 07:11 PM

Re: Re: Cabin Stewart

I think most lines are pooling tips due to the high "stiff" rate. In the not to distant future, I believe the gratuities will become a fixed cost added on to your cruise fare with no opportunity to claw back. if you have problems (real or imagined : ) ) you will deal with it as you would at a land based hotel and/or resort.

CruisinOkie July 21st, 2005 01:47 PM

Who is Stewart? Why does he get a tip? Why is Stewart in my cabin? Enquiring minds need to know!

carol July 23rd, 2005 06:24 PM

The politically correct term is "cabin attendent."

PeterV July 24th, 2005 02:29 PM

Only if they come from politically correct countries.

I do so hate that term!

Cheers,
Peter

Fern July 24th, 2005 06:13 PM

I don't find anything wrong with the term "steward". It means "someone who serves and oversees preparations for passengers, generally " (Webster's). That's what all our great cabin stewards did! Besides, their nametags read "Cabin Steward". If it's okay with them, it's okay with me.

On our last cruise our Steward told us the $10.00/day tips were pooled, but anything extra wasn't. I'm sure that's not the same for every line.

PeterV July 29th, 2005 11:58 AM

Re: Re: Cabin Stewart

I wasn't talking about the steward. The term I was referring to was "politically correct". <G>

carol July 29th, 2005 03:10 PM

When I sailed on the Grand Princess it was the CAPTAIN that educated everyone on the correct terminology! Aside from cabin attendant he also stated that "busboys are now called assistant waiters."

Carol

PeterV August 4th, 2005 11:28 AM

So just because the CAPTAIN of the Grand Princess want to call them cabin attendants that means I have to as well?

Sheesh
Peter

Big Craig September 9th, 2005 11:34 PM

Re: Cabin Steward

I think Stewart Little was in my cabin, I mean Stewart was in my cabin a little or is some little one named Stewart in my cabin, oh my back to sleep for me.

paul1 November 17th, 2005 08:36 AM

we were just on the caribbean princess late oct and removed tips from bill.I did leave my cabin stewart a very nice tip in the room,but we never once ate in the dining rooms so why would I leave tip for dining room waiter or the head waiter.I will tip someone who plays a part of my 7 day cruise.we had the best cabin stewart yet out of 4 cruises with princess so this man got what I would have give to everyone else plus more.

Fern November 17th, 2005 06:52 PM

Hi paul1,

While I'm sure you did what you thought was right, you and other's should know that your waiter at dinner probably also works at the buffet or in some other capacity to serve you that you may not even notice.

You should also be aware that the cabin steward must turn in all cash tips to the "pool", so he or she may not end up with any extra tip you give them :!:

Donna November 17th, 2005 07:03 PM

Hi Paul,
I'm sure you thought you were doing the correct things, by removing the tips from the dining staff, but now the people that did serve you, did not get anything in the way of tips from you. Even when we don't always go into the dining room for dinner, we still tip them the regular amount, because they are pooled, at least the others that have served us would get their cut out of the pool.