Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerif
If you had four adults in the cabin (also paying 3rd and 4th rates), would you only tip 1/2 for each of them as well?
There is no service perfect enough that I would tip $40 a day if I had four people in the cabin. I'm sorry. Call me cheap if you want, but that ... at least to me ... is wayyyyy over the top. Unless we were complete pigs ... causing our cabin steward to spend several hours a day tidying up our cabin ... $40 a day is simply too much. Can you imagine if that cabin steward had four people in just about all of his cabins? $40 a day multiplied by about 15 cabins? He'd be doing better than me!

No, he would get 1/2 the daily auto-tips for the remaining two people ... full auto-tips for the primary two passengers.

Now, to be fair, though ... one would have to look at this from the other side too. What happens when there is a single occupying the cabin? Theoretically, the cabin steward will spend just as much time in that single's cabin as he will in a cabin occupied by two? How does the single provide some extra compensation since in this case the steward is kinda getting cheated?

Would a better strategy be to simply assess an auto-tip per cabin for an occupancy of two ... regardless of whether there were four or one person in the cabin?

What do you think?

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old February 25th, 2007, 02:58 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerif
If you had four adults in the cabin (also paying 3rd and 4th rates), would you only tip 1/2 for each of them as well?
There is no service perfect enough that I would tip $40 a day if I had four people in the cabin. I'm sorry. Call me cheap if you want, but that ... at least to me ... is wayyyyy over the top. Unless we were complete pigs ... causing our cabin steward to spend several hours a day tidying up our cabin ... $40 a day is simply too much. Can you imagine if that cabin steward had four people in just about all of his cabins? $40 a day multiplied by about 15 cabins? He'd be doing better than me!

No, he would get 1/2 the daily auto-tips for the remaining two people ... full auto-tips for the primary two passengers.

Now, to be fair, though ... one would have to look at this from the other side too. What happens when there is a single occupying the cabin? Theoretically, the cabin steward will spend just as much time in that single's cabin as he will in a cabin occupied by two? How does the single provide some extra compensation since in this case the steward is kinda getting cheated?

Would a better strategy be to simply assess an auto-tip per cabin for an occupancy of two ... regardless of whether there were four or one person in the cabin?

What do you think?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Keep in mind that your room steward is just ONE of the staff members who will receive a share of the $10 pp/day in tips. Of that $10 pp, the room steward only receives around $3.50 pp/day. Even at four people per room, that only equates to $14 per cabin to change the linens and remake the beds, tidy the room, vacuum the floors, clean the bathrooms, etc. If there are pullmans in the room, these must be returned to their original upright state and the bedding removed and neatly tucked away.

Then in the evenings, they come in and tidy up again, replenish towels & toiletries and turn down the beds. It's their job to do this whether you are a very tidy person or very messy. Either way, let them take care of these minute details and enjoy your vacation. The tipping policy also mentions that "You can adjust the amount of your tip (upwards or downwards) at the purser's desk". IMO, I don't think $3.50 pp is a lot to ask.
CCL Freedom - Panama (8/2010)
Norwegian Star - Mexican Riviera (4/2010)
Norwegian Sky - Bahamas (12/09)

Past Sailings
Diamond Princess - Alaska Northbound (8/09)
CCL Destiny - S. Caribbean (8/08 )
Norwegian Sun - W. Caribbean (3/08 )
Norwegian Gem - Celebrity Cruise with John Legend & Bobby Flay (12/07)
Legend of the Seas - W. Caribbean (4/07)
Caribbean Princess - W. Caribbean (8/06)
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiyana4
Even at four people per room, that only equates to $14 per cabin to change the linens and remake the beds, tidy the room, vacuum the floors, clean the bathrooms, etc.
I agree. He has a set amount of work to do. What I am questioning is whether it really takes him THAT much longer to do the work for four than it does for two? Or, is it that much less work for one than for two? That's why I am thinking that when there is only a single in the cabin, that cabin steward is really getting shafted. Chances are the waiter in the dining room is getting shafted too ... because in many cases a single will be seated at a table where the extra chair may go unused. So, it would just seem to me a more fair assessment to charge the auto-tip based on the cabin, not the number of people in there. So, if you had a quad cabin, maybe the auto-tip would be based on three people ... assuming the second two passengers were both children. If you had a double cabin, it would be based on two adults, even if there was only one occupying the cabin. Then, if you had a luxury suite, the auto-tip might be a higher amount each day, based on all of the extra services suite passengers get.

I'm enjoying reading these responses, because it's interesting to see how others look at this issue.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 28th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Automatic tipping charge for a 2 year old

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterV
Actually cali, the statement is flawed, no one is required to extend gratuities, otherwise they are not gratuities.

Cheers,
Peter
I totally agree with this. I do not see where a two year old should have to tip or even an older child. As I keep my cabins looking good just as I do with hotel rooms and so on. I do not see where Each person in a cabin should be subject to a gratuity or that it should be automatic, since it is no longer called a gratuity it is now then an surcharge.
Old March 28th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Passenger

I would also like to comment on the fact that if you are auto tipping a total of lets say $40 a day per cabin, then it is excessive for a week as many people are still tipping at dinner, and for room service and for other things, so then we should not tip for anything else if we are be charged a daily tipping fee. Right?

Someone mentioned that it is their job, whether or not we want it. Well I know for a fact that many people working on cruise lines get paid very well with tips. Also they would not continue working on the cruise line if they were not being paid well enough.
Old June 18th, 2007, 03:04 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by attagirl
Someone mentioned that it is their job, whether or not we want it. Well I know for a fact that many people working on cruise lines get paid very well with tips. Also they would not continue working on the cruise line if they were not being paid well enough.
You'd be shocked at how well paid some of those people are ... especially during peak cruising seasons. That's why HAL now makes the service people pay for their own uniforms and their airfare home after a contract. In the past, the cruise line took care of that. But, now they have realized that the service people are among the highest paid workers on the ship, with their auto-tips and other cash gratuities added in. So while they continue to pay the airfare home for some of the people onboard ... cruise staff, etc. ... they will no longer do the same for service people included in the auto-tip pool.

Believe me, if those people weren't being paid very well, you wouldn't have individuals on their tenth or more contracts. They put in a lot of hours, are away from their families for months at a time, have babies who were born six months ago that they've never seen, and have barely tolerable living conditions onboard. Do you think the cruise lines would be able to retain a quality service staff if there wasn't some incentive keeping them there?

I'm not saying they are living in the lap of luxury, but I don't think they have it as bad as some of us might think. Since most cruise lines went to auto-tipping, I think the service people are doing pretty well ... especially if they are good at their jobs. Between the auto-tip and what some people also tip above and beyond in cash, I don't think too many of those service people onboard are paupers. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that many of them actually pull down more in a month than a lot of the passengers they serve do.

Blue skies ...

--rita