Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 15th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Admiral

Default Tipping Guidelines -- Celebrity Cruises

Everybody,

Two (2) elements of the tipping guidelines from Celebrity Cruises seem really annoying and inappropriate to me. I'm wondering if others here have a similar reaction.

>> 1. The line suggests a gratuity to the "Assistant Chief Housekeeper," whom one usually does not encounter at all during the cruise. Has a gratuity for the Assistant Chief Housekeeper become customary in the industry? Does anybody know of any other lines tht suggest a similar gratuity?

>> 2. After automatically adding 15% to bar and wine bills for a gratuity, Celebrity Cruises prints a line below the total for an "Additinal Gratuity" and another line for a final total. Has anybody seen this on another line? Is it over the top or is it now accepted practice?

Norm.
Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Passenger

I have not noticed the "extra" tip on bar charges. I did, however, find an envelope in our cabin on the last night of our cruise for the Assistant Chief Housekeeper. Since we have our grats added to our sail and sign card, we did not tip for the Asst. Chief. If it had been added to our account, we would have removed it. I do not mind tipping for the room stewards, the waiters, and food prep staff, but I will not tip for a salaried position unless some special service has been performed by that position.
The Asst. Chief never came to my door, introduced themselves, and asked how things were. As you may have gathered, this did bother me a little bit. Who knows, maybe this is the cruise lines way of giving the Asst. Chief a raise?
Old November 16th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Admiral

Never cruised on Celebrity but can't imagine tipping the ACH!! I wonder who they will think of next...Anyway, I have seen the "additional" graduity line and another line for your "final" total. Normally I zero out the additional line sign the receipt except this last cruise I found a particular bar waiter who knew what I wanted and specially waited for me and DH to show up at the shows. We always added $ to round everything up! We received extra attention after the first time and the last 2 nights, he gave me my drink in the souvenir glass to keep! We really enjoyed talking to him and getting to know him too.

Teresa

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old November 16th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Denny,

Thanks for you rinputs!

I did, however, find an envelope in our cabin on the last night of our cruise for the Assistant Chief Housekeeper. Since we have our grats added to our sail and sign card, we did not tip for the Asst. Chief. If it had been added to our account, we would have removed it. I do not mind tipping for the room stewards, the waiters, and food prep staff, but I will not tip for a salaried position unless some special service has been performed by that position.

I concur with your sentiments!

In listening to disembarkation talks on Celebrity cruises, I got the feeling that this suggested gratuity has not been warmly received because the cruise directors found it necessary to explain that it was for handling baggage -- but if that's the case, it should be per bag rather than per day, so I found even that explanation to be wanting.

That said, if you had the gratiuties billed to your shipboard account, the base total of $10.50 per day on Celebrity's signature form now includes $0.75 per day for the assistant chief housekeeper.

The Asst. Chief never came to my door, introduced themselves, and asked how things were. As you may have gathered, this did bother me a little bit. Who knows, maybe this is the cruise lines way of giving the Asst. Chief a raise?

Yes, I think that you have correctly identified why this suggested tip really grates. In six Celebrity cruises, three of which were fourteen nights, I have met only ONE assistant chief housekeeper -- and that meeting was completely by accident; she happened to be talking to the steward in the passageway when I left my cabin one day.

Norm.
Old November 16th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Teresa,

Thank you for your comments!

Never cruised on Celebrity but can't imagine tipping the ACH!!

That's pretty much my sentiments, too. On five of my six Celebrity cruises, three of which were fourteen nights, I never met this perosn. On the other cruise, I met her only by accident -- she happened to be talking to the cabin steward in the passageway when I left my cabin one day. I'm not accustomed to tipping somebody that I never met.

I wonder who they will think of next...Anyway, I have seen the "additional" graduity line and another line for your "final" total. Normally I zero out the additional line sign

I do likewise. When I order a bottle of a nice wine, the standard gratuity seems quite adequate. On my last cruise, though, I discoverd two charges of $4.00 for additional tips when I had zeroed out the line and written in the same total. As you can imagine, I was not exactly a happy camper....

Norm.