CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Tipping (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/)
-   -   Tipping Billed to Your Room Account (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/308510-tipping-billed-your-room-account.html)

BrianTom February 7th, 2006 02:08 PM

Tipping Billed to Your Room Account

I have noticed the service level has dropped since they went to the automatic tipping system where the gratuity is added to your bill at the end of the trip.

I feel that this system created a consistant pay check for the Room attendants and waitstaff. It is my guess that there are few guests going to the pursers desk to adjust the tip amount below the suggested amount charged. Therefore, with a steady amount of money flowing in, their duties seemed to have turned into a job rather than a service.

Any thoughts?

Kuki February 7th, 2006 02:27 PM

I disagree about the effect of automatic tipping. There are many more factors at play than simply the staff's share of the pool.

If their comment cards from guests are consistently negative it doesn't take very long before they are given small sections (smaller piece of the pie), or are "moved on".

I think the bottom line is the great servers are still great servers, the mediocre still mediocre, and the bad, hopefully not around long.

momx5 February 10th, 2006 04:29 PM

So what would be a fair tip for my family to pay

2 adults
10 yr old boy
8 yr old girl
6 yr old girl
3 yr old boy
8month old!

We are not sloppy people. The automatic charge seems outrageous!

Fern February 10th, 2006 09:16 PM

Hi momX5,

There are so many variable’s to your question! Many cruise lines only charge half price tips for children. I'd be looking for those!

Are you all going to be in one cabin? I have to think not, because I don't know of any cruise line that has a cabin for 7. If you have two cabins I'd think $50.00 or $60.00 per day per cabin would be okay IF you only ask for "normal" service.

Anyone else have experience with this many children?

ubouu February 11th, 2006 07:25 AM

So can you adjust the tipping,I was told the other day you coud not on NCL, that it is now called a service charge is this true or can you still adjust it....Cruiseing on the sun Soon ?? (MAYBE)

CA Cruiser February 11th, 2006 11:50 AM

Yes on NCL you can adjust the Service Fee. From their website

In the unlikely event we cannot satisfactorily resolve the issue through our guest satisfaction program, guests will be able to adjust the service charge according to the level of inconvenience they feel they have experienced.

Hopefully you won't have to. I can't imagine any reason to warrant this. We have always had decent service and tipped extra when exceptional service was given.

MomX5, here is a guideline for families. Maybe this will help you.

$10 per person, per day will be added to your onboard account. For children ages 3-12, a $5 per person per day, there is no charge for children under the age of three.

I remember tipping well when we cruised with our 3 sons but we also kept the cabin very clean and neat.

We just think of tipping as just a part of the cruise.

Kuki February 11th, 2006 12:45 PM

Quote:

So what would be a fair tip for my family to pay

2 adults
10 yr old boy
8 yr old girl
6 yr old girl
3 yr old boy
8month old

I'd imagine that at least two of the kids will be in their own cabin (unless you've booked a family suite). So, in my view, unless service is awful. You should pay the full $10/pp/per day for the first four... $5 pp per day would likely be acceptable for the remaining 3.

Though with a 6 and 3 yr old they could require more work from the staff than if there were adults.

Personally I think I'd leave the $10/per person/per day in place for everyone but the 8 month old. That's $420 in gratuities total for a family of 7. Not outrageous at all in my view.

ubouu February 11th, 2006 01:39 PM

/

iii[/list]

Fern February 11th, 2006 07:55 PM

Maybe I've missed something? I don't think either BrianTom or momx5 (bless you, dear LOL !) said they were sailing on NCL.

All of the lines have different tipping policies. Some only charge half for young children, some charge the full amount.

Some allow you to remove all the "automatic" tips for no reason at all, some (NCL) don't.

Some don't have "automatic" tips and give you envelopes to tip at the end of the cruise.

It really depends on which line you are cruising. From what I've read on these boards for the last 2 years, the cruise staff are so wonderful with children that even those who didn't think they'd want to tip ended up doing so!

Hope you all find this true and have a wonderful cruise!

cindyandmatt February 25th, 2006 05:20 PM

I noticed this too, but only after we took our last cruise on Carnival. The tip money was taken out the first day I believe. I was very unhappy after a "drink girl" didn't show up for 30 minutes into a show and my husband had to get up and walk to another waiter to ask for a drink. Our "drink girl" saw what he did, came over to him with hands on hips and snapped "YOU ARE NOT IN HIS SECTION! IF YOU NEED A DRINK I AM TO GET IT!" Then she stormed off. I couldn't believe someone who did not give us any service had the nerve to confront us for getting up and asking someone else to help!?

tomastic March 12th, 2006 07:39 PM

Tipping

I disagree with Kuki, I have been on several cruises and I have noticed that the service is down compared to working for tips. I work in a tipping field and the better service the better tip. Face it if you dont have to work as hard and make the same amount, you will. That is human nature. I have booked my cruise and told them I will tip at the end of the cruise. The last cruise I was on was horrible as far as service. So I would wait until the cruise was over and tip accordingly.