Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2006, 03:56 PM
Passenger

Default Tipping room attendant

I'm thinking of tipping the room attendant as soon as we see him/her a $20 just to see if we get better service. Of course he'll still get his regular tip too. Just wondering if any of you have tried it?
I did this on check in at the Paris hotel in Las Vegas a few years back and the check in girl gave me a suite with a bar, 2 bathrooms, living room. It was awesome and only cost me $20.
It pays to be nice to people when they first meet you. I figure that's a better $20 spent than to drop it in a slot machine.
Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2006, 06:05 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Tipping room attendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorphin
I'm thinking of tipping the room attendant as soon as we see him/her a $20 just to see if we get better service.
exactly how will you know if you are getting "better service" and if not are you going to ask for your money back

many cruisers think this is tacky but many others do it -- i personally do not and neither do any of my cruising pals

Old February 23rd, 2006, 08:12 PM
Admiral

Hi gatorphin,

We had never "pre-tipped" our steward until our last cruise. We asked him to remove the hangers from the closet (we had our own) and to be sure we had ice when he made up the cabin and in the late afternoon, and to reconfigure the beds.

When we came back to the cabin he had thrown the hangers on a shelf. We had to rearrange them so they didn't rattle, and we could have used the shelf for other things.

He was the worst steward we ever had! He was clearly aggravated that we weren't out of the cabin before 10 A.M. some days, and he actually argued with me one day about whether the Do Not Disturb sign was out! (It wasn't, I was right, but even if I HAD been wrong he shouldn't have argued with me!)

BTW, I know that we should have complained, but we didn't.

So, I'd say that it doesn't make any difference! On our past cruises we've left an extra tip (above the "automatic" tip) for our stewards on the last day. All of them have been much better than the "pre-tipped" one, even the one we only saw once ! Needless to say, this steward didn't get anything extra!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old April 2nd, 2006, 06:45 PM
Beginner

I've only been on two cruises; a three-day on RC and a 10 day on the QM2. I gave each cabin steward a twenty dollar bill upon meeting them. A seasoned cruiser told me that she'd had great luck doing this.

Service seemed good but I didn't ask for anything special and am rather inexperienced. I would certainly like to see others who have done this post here.

If I pre-tip and the service is poor, I would simply reduce or eliminate any tip at the end of the trip.

Any other thoughts?

micropooz
Constellation 12/8/07
Old April 2nd, 2006, 09:24 PM
Admiral

I do it on every cruise just to establish a repoir with the steward. I ask for a little something special as I give him/her the tip..............please make sure room service brings coffee every morning at 8:30 a.m.; will you leave two buckets of ice in the evening? for example. Every cruise except one the steward was very gracious and agreeable.

In my opinion, and it's only an opinion, pre-tipping the steward something, let's them know you are not going to stiff them and set's you apart from the other guests on their list.

Regards,
Thomas